I'm so sick of no results.

Options
1235»

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I've looked at your diarys for the past week,
    1.) Put all that protein you eat to use, most of your calories lost are from walking/jogging-start doing more weight training.
    2.) Try trading some of your foods, for example: the Dannon yogurt for greek yogurt.

With the yogurt you are adding 30 calories to your intake, plus it adds nutrients as well.

But really, unless it's just something you don't put in your diary (which is understandable, I don't put my weight training in either, I'm lazy), start doing so. Sometimes people really don't see how important to weight loss this really is.

Also, you've been at 5.0 mph for an hour for the past week:
    -Try to up the speed you run at and try to add sprints as well. Try interval training.

Overall: If I were you, I'd do 2-3 days of cardio like you are doing, cut the cardio down 2-3 weeks to 30 min a day, and use the other 30 min or so to lift, do calisthenics etc.

Sorry I'm allover the place on this post.
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    okay, i can definitely pack on the protein. as far as weighing my food, i definitely do that. and i guess i can start lifting more weights. it's just unfortunate my gym doesn't have free weights, but that's fine.

thanks for your help!

Don't let that stop you. I'm not saying you have to go in there and train like Arnold, but you should start researching some basic 3 day, full body routines to help preserve and possibly gain muscle while you lose the fat.

And don't forget to take progress pictures! Some weeks you might not lose weight, but you're body composition will change and you will still be losing fat, but the muscle gains will make the scale not move. The more muscle you have=the more calories you burn.

i take progress pictures on the 1st of each month. i only have 3 so far, but it's a start i suppose haha.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options

Please keep comments on topic and not intentionally hurtful, insults are inappropriate and morally unjust. Thank you for your compliance.

she probably just finds it interesting that EVERYONE is telling me to eat more, and you're telling me to eat less.

Check her profile...she has had eating disorders in the past...as unfortunate as most eating disorders are most are psychological in nature and i can't in good consicense allow you to accept her opinion...

Below is text directly copied and pasted from her very public profile.

I've always been taller and a couple sizes bigger. I would binge & purge and try anything to lose weight, but I never really understood how to do it correctly.

Check your sources!

Oh, yes, I see you've copied and pasted a bit from my "very public profile" there. That's me saying that in the past I did not know how to lose weight correctly. I have since educated myself and learned how to lose weight properly. How is that damning in any way, shape, or form?

Let's not bring up psychological issues, that's just irritating, not to mention actually off topic.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i'm eating when i'm hungry. when i'm not hungry, i don't eat. know what i mean? and as i stated, i'll be increasing my intake starting Sunday, but i'll be forcing myself to eat more.

What a terrible way to diet. Learn from this and keep moving forward. Eat more protein and start lifting weights. Cardio isn't necessary unless you're doing it for cardiovascular reasons.

i'm eating more protein than MFP suggests already, and i'm trying to do some weight lifting. also, i started the 100 push up challenge as well as the 200 situp challenge this month so i'm hoping to get some results from there.

i guess all i can really say is that i'm honestly trying, and i'm not lying to myself or anyone else. i just wish people believed me that i'm just a newbie at this and i want to learn.

Unfortunately, with the motivation and support also comes misinformed and trolls.. Don't let it get to you.

I plugged your numbers in here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ ... You have a BMR of 2145. .. this means for your basic life fuctions you have to eat at least 2145 calories... You have been eating roughly 800+ below that for months plus working out to about 750 calories extra making that 1550 calories BELOW what you need to function...
    There's a lot of people that will tell you starvation mode/yes it's possible/no that's probably not the case... but i've seen plenty of people increase what they are eating and the lbs start dropping off. check out this thread.. there's some interesting info in here and varied opinions: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538493-starvation-mode-myth

Personally startvation mode is a myth with fact behind it.. namely if you stop eating you will lose weight, fast, but you're going to lose it from different areas than you would if you lose it the healthy way and it's going to eventually slow down but it wont stop or make you gain.. You however are still eating and working out.. your body is trying to store what you eat bc it knows it needs it, this could eplain the weight gain. In any case you do need to eat more to lose weight healthy.. I know it sounds counter productive but just search through the threads and see everyone that has worked for..

This is my personal opinion based off what I have seen work here for others and what has worked for me.. Good luck!
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    every little bit counts...just get up and move..
  • treysmith1016
    Options
    Oh sorry, I didn't realize calling someone a baby was motivational.

Edit: also, telling me to go f**k myself? super motivational too.

I'm not here to argue with you, I'm here to point him in the right direction. If the sissy soft bull**** works for you then that's fine, but for me and anyone with testicles, a punch in the mouth gets me moving every time. You can take your politically correct bull**** and shove it up your *kitten*. I'm here to say what needs to be said and get this kid moving towards success that he can be proud of. I don't want him to lose a bunch of weight doing a crash diet and obtain a skinny fat soft body that he still won't be proud of. I don't really care if he succeeds or not because I have no control over that and try to not worry about things I cannot control, but I will help in the only way I know how, which is to not sugar coat what I have to say and just be strait up.
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. No matter what you decide...no matter what advice you decide to take...something will happen.
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    i don't mean i've lost 22 of my 32 goal. the goal of 32 lbs was implemented when i joined the site in July. I lost 7 in July, I lost 15 in June. so I'm still 25 away from my goal.

7 pounds in a month is good as is 15 in the month before. As long as you're still losing on a regular basis then you are doing well. :)

Just don't get discouraged. It just takes time and patience (which I'm nearly out of myself, but...) :D
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there is some good advice, some bad advice, and plenty of snarkiness in this thread. in other words, it is a very normal MFP thread.

you are 23 years old, active, and 6' 1". you should be eating at least about 2,000 calories a day. i'm two inches taller then you, and was eating at least 2,200 when i started doing this. that would be my minimum on days i didn't exercise. on days that i did, i would eat my exercise calories with a post work out protein shake.

if you are working out and need to add some more calories, have a protein shake.

if you are gaining a pound or two here and there, it is most likely water retention while your body tries to repair muscles.

if i could go back to when i started trying to get fit, the advice i'd give myself on top of eating right and doing cardio, is to start strength training immediately. simple body weight routines is what you should be doing for about 6-8 weeks before you start hitting the weights.

good luck, and feel free to send a FR.
  • treysmith1016
    Options
    there is some good advice, some bad advice, and plenty of snarkiness in this thread. in other words, it is a very normal MFP thread.

you are 23 years old, active, and 6' 1". you should be eating at least about 2,000 calories a day. i'm two inches taller then you, and was eating at least 2,200 when i started doing this. that would be my minimum on days i didn't exercise. on days that i did, i would eat my exercise calories with a post work out protein shake.

if you are working out and need to add some more calories, have a protein shake.

if you are gaining a pound or two here and there, it is most likely water retention while your body tries to repair muscles.

if i could go back to when i started trying to get fit, the advice i'd give myself on top of eating right and doing cardio, is to start strength training immediately. simple body weight routines is what you should be doing for about 6-8 weeks before you start hitting the weights.

I disagree. Body weight exercises can be used in conjunction with the weights. There is no reason not to begin lifting weights has soon as possible.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    calorie counting explained...increase intensity or duration of exercise or decrease calories swallowed... its just that simple

Cant argue with results...44lbs in 48 days...im not wrong about this...44 lbs in 48 days

Oh, look, my first ignore!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you're eating under 1500 you definitely need to eat more, I'm just under a foot shorter than you and I eat more on most days.

Eat plenty of protein.

Lift heavy.

If you haven't got much to lose it will take longer with possible gains. I was stuck with the same 5lbs going backwards and forwards until I ate more and started lifting.

Try to eat as clean as possible.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I disagree. Body weight exercises can be used in conjunction with the weights. There is no reason not to begin lifting weights has soon as possible.

i only say it to build some strength and concentrate on proper form on certain things, such as squats and lunges, before adding weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I understand that I've lost a good amount the past 2 months. But again, just like the weight gain could be from water weight, the majority of my weight LOSS in the past two months was FROM the water weight.

You are probably correct in that much of the initial weight loss is probably water weight - people often lose a lot in the first week or two and then get disappointed when that slows down.

You have a lot of good advice here mixed in with some bad with some insulting posts thrown in for good measure.

Basically, set your activity level on MFP appropriately (it really underestimates activity - for example sedentary is really if you sit on the couch all day. Evens desk job usually ends up to be lightly active), set you goal at 1lb a week and eat back about 50 - 75% of those exercise calories (I say only to eat some back to factor in any overestimating and not to double count your BMR).

You should aim to eat at least 0.65g of protein a day and about 0.35g of fat per lb of body weight. The rest can come from wherever.

Strength train 3x a week doing a total body workout and do cardio 2 - 3 x a week if you want trying to mix up the intensity but make sure you give yourself at least one full rest day.

If you do not have access to free weights you can try something like:

- push ups
    - seated cable row
    - pull ups
    - leg press
    - overhead tricep extension
    I am missing shoulders a bit here but I am not a fan of doing them on a machine.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Its not the excersize or lack of it ect. I lost my first 30 lbs without doing any. Of course that isn't the case now but you can. My husband lost 120 lbs and has never excersized a day in his life. So for people to be focusing on this as the problem s pointless. I now workout 5 days a week and have for some ime but my goals now have changed somewhat. I just wanted to make the point the excersize well awesome for changing the composition of your body doesn't have to be key in weightloss.

I would rank importance in this order for just dropping pounds.

1. Caloric intake EDIT: I almost forgot about the salt. If you want to lose weight you have to watch your salt intake keep it under 2500 under 2000 is better. This is why you need so much water. It causes you to retain water. My next point. (I noticed that you eat canned foods and a lot of things that are high in salt and sugar. Maybe swap these for fresh vegetables and stay away from the canned goods as much as possible. This may seem hard at first but you will get used to it.)
    2. A very close second, water intake. I drink a Gallon on non workout days and a half. Gallon more on workout days. It takes about 3 days for your body to be sufficiently hydrated to the point it's working well. Of you fall behind you start retaining water and your body can't flush out all the **** it's trying to get rid of. So stay extrememly consistent with this if your calories are right I promise you will start seeing it. If you are new to weightlifting it may take a few weeks to see it as your muscles will hold a lot of water for repair, don't be fooled though change is happening if your lifting right.
    3. Excersize
    4. Food quality and macros

I cannot tell u to focus on the water enough, it is very important. How much water are you drinking? The more excersize you do the better.

I know it's hard to be patient when you first start but just remember your trying to change your lifestyle sure you could quit because it seems pointless to you but then what ? You will be right back where you started. I guess if you just want to get to your goal and then go backwards you can keep thinking this way but unless you permanently change what your doing you will just end up right back where you started. Stuck or not you don't want to go backwards therefore the only answer to prevent that is to keep moving forward.

For the past 6 weeks I have gained and lost the same 2 lbs. Did I quit, nope. I just waited revisited what I was doing and not doing, the is always something somewhere when you hit a platue that you can adjust to keep things moving you just have to figure out what that is for your body. This week, I lost 4.4 lbs. do I think that was all from this week? Nope, but I was behind on water for weeks so it wasn't showing is my guess. Up until February of this year I was stuck for 10 months, yup you heard that right 10 full months of gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. The only reason I didn't full out gain was that I kept trying even when I would mess up one day I'd then go for a week of full on giving it all I had. I think that plataue helped me a lot it taught me patience, it taught me how to maintain and most of all it showed me I do have the perseverance to complete this journey and go on to live a healthy lifestyle even after I'm at goal. I think if I had not had that long *kitten* plataue I would not be as focused as I am today.

Since breaking that plataue at the end of feb, 2012 I have lost another 40 lbs. persistence.......

So yup you can complain about the numbers or you can live a healthly lifestyle and relax a little and see where it takes you. Cuz really if you embrace the journey the result will be far more rewarding than getting there and saying, now what? Make fitness goals, small ones and as you achieve those make new ones it will take the focus off the numbers a bit and you can learn to enjoy new things and be proud of new accomplishments that don't revolve around a number on a scale. The number can and will be a bonus don't get me wrong but you need more than that to be successful.