BMR!! who eats under that like me?!

mccbabe1
mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
hey peeps.... just curious... ive heard conflicting ideas/thoughts...with the BMR.. and calorie intake and all ... my bmr and calorie intake is almost 500 calorie diff!!.. my bmr is at about 1,705 and im set at 1200 calorie day diet!... ive lost wt... (this wk is only my 2nd week im wrapping up... lost 2#'s first wk and 5 the second!.... but im afraid that I may stop loosing soon or??? idk .. ive heard that you should eat at your bmr or even 100 calories above it!?.... only time i get to ingest "technically" over the 1200 is when I exxercise to earn them back !! (daily i workout)... i have min 50-80#'s to loose... and I just wanna do it right... any suggestions/thoughts?:ohwell:

Replies

• HI!

I'm no nutritionist but I have done a semester in nutrition for my degree and, as I understand it, your BMR makes up the bulk of your daily calorific usage - all the moving around and stuff we do adds up to nowhere near as many calories. In order to lose 1lb of fat you must create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories (that's how much energy is stored in a pound of body fat). If you eat at or just above your BMR you will lose weight but so slowly it'd be barely noticeable.

For instance, if you want to lose a pound a week you have to cut 500 calories a day off your minimum calorie needs in order for your body to burn fat to make up the calories.

Does that make any sense?

B x
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    HI!

I'm no nutritionist but I have done a semester in nutrition for my degree and, as I understand it, your BMR makes up the bulk of your daily calorific usage - all the moving around and stuff we do adds up to nowhere near as many calories. In order to lose 1lb of fat you must create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories (that's how much energy is stored in a pound of body fat). If you eat at or just above your BMR you will lose weight but so slowly it'd be barely noticeable.

For instance, if you want to lose a pound a week you have to cut 500 calories a day off your minimum calorie needs in order for your body to burn fat to make up the calories.

B x

I think you are confusing BMR (basic metabolic rate - what you would need in a coma basically) with TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    hey peeps.... just curious... ive heard conflicting ideas/thoughts...with the BMR.. and calorie intake and all ... my bmr and calorie intake is almost 500 calorie diff!!.. my bmr is at about 1,705 and im set at 1200 calorie day diet!... ive lost wt... (this wk is only my 2nd week im wrapping up... lost 2#'s first wk and 5 the second!.... but im afraid that I may stop loosing soon or??? idk .. ive heard that you should eat at your bmr or even 100 calories above it!?.... only time i get to ingest "technically" over the 1200 is when I exxercise to earn them back !! (daily i workout)... i have min 50-80#'s to loose... and I just wanna do it right... any suggestions/thoughts?:ohwell:

Imagine needing $5 a day to operate your body.
    Without the $5 you dont get the proper gas for the engine or the oil.
    You are in essence, running on empty.

Now if you have a body fat level that puts you in the obese II or obese III category then this is okay for a while.
    If you are just overweight then you are doing it wrong.

The body is a complex system and many factors come into play with losing weight.
    Unfortunately cutting cals to bare bones isnt going to work forever and the catabolic effects on lean tissue can be extreme.

IMO I would reset MFP to something other than sedentary and appx 1lb a week lost.

Read here for more info on my methods and see if they are for you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • jomckillop
    jomckillop Posts: 19 Member
    My BMR is about 1600-1700 per day. This is what my body would use if I laid in bed all day.
    You would actually use up more as you go about your day, that is whay a woman should eat 2000 calories per day to maintain her weight.
    However if you only eat 1200 per day eventually your body will think you are starving yourself and your metabolism will slow right down. You will then lose weight very very slowly.
    I was advised not to eat too low, so my weekly calories are 9100 (average 1300 per day). However I eat like this:
    Monday: 1300
    Tuesday: 1100
    Wednesday: 1300
    Thursday: 1300
    Friday: 1100
    Saturday: 1600
    Sunday: 1400

This way I find my body never gets used to a particular amount of calories per day and I should continue to lose weight at 1-2lbs per week.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    I have a YouTube video that explains it. Check it out if you wanna!! I've had great feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I have been lately. My body is adjusting from being used to eating about 3000 calories and burning 1800, to taking in 1750 and burning 2100. The last few days, I've been eating at a net of about 1400 though. I just haven't been hungry. I am still losing weight though. I don't think there is much risk of "starvation mode" at 1400 net calories when your BMI is still WAY in the obese category. My BMI is 43.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not, I'm supposed to ingest 1900 calories without working out...I average 1200 to 1400 I don't have the ability to add starches (which has the highest calorie count) to my diet so for me to eat 1900 calories I would burst my stomach. I eat till full sometimes thats my whole plate of food sometimes not. Here lately it's really not, I'm not stuffing myself because a guide tells me too. Sure I haven't seen a lot of pounds drop but I have seen about 14 inches drop off my belly by it's self. My arms are more defined and my dimples have returned...I'm doing something right...
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    HI!

B x

I'm morbidly obese and I eat my TDEE- 15% and still above my BMR and I'm still losing weight at a healthy rate (and it's noticeable!). Yes, if you are morbidly obese you could go way low on cals for a while and lose weight really fast but it's more sustainable if you lose at a slower rate. Better to make a lifestyle change you will stick with than to do something drastic unless your health is so bad you're about to keel over if you don't lose the weight asap.
  • ceecee7636
    ceecee7636 Posts: 37 Member
    I am wondering about the BMR too. I hadn't even heard of it before I joined almost two weeks ago and my BMR is something like 1800 and I've been recommended to eat 1400 on my diet in order to lose 2lbs per week and so far I'm bang on target so am thinking that my diet recommendation calories must be right and the BMR is maybe if you don't want to lose weight????

Can anyone baby step me through it :)
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Hi! I don't know about this basing your calories off of your BMR, I've never looked at that. I've been using the Harris Benedict Formula. I had lost about 40lbs but then life happened and I lost track of me for a little while. I'm using it right now, I have my husband on it, and my friend has lost 50lbs using it. It's actually what Chris Powell uses for his clients, on and off of Extreme Makeover. We are all pretty lazy (me being the absolute worse) and basically just occasionally walk for exercise (which I know will have to change), but it's working for us anyway. If what you're using is too confusing give the Harris Benedict Formula a try. This is hard enough without having to be confused about it too LOL Good luck!
  • trauski
    trauski Posts: 1 Member
    My BMR is 1500 as well. I like to zig-zag my calories, so I can try and avoid plateau's and keep the weight loss at a steady pace. I have found this very effective thus far. Most of my days are spent eating between 1200-1400. But sometimes, when I have an intense workout and burn like crazy, I will eat up to 2500. I'd say the majority of the time I eat just slightly under my BMR and I have been loosing weight at a healthy rate and feel good. So, if you feel energized and healthy at the amount your consuming right now, I think you will be fine! (:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

My calculated BMR is 1303. I net 1700 and managed to get to goal. I highly recommend upping intake. I did the 1200 thing, I cannot describe to you how much better I feel even though I thought I felt fine before
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not, I'm supposed to ingest 1900 calories without working out...I average 1200 to 1400 I don't have the ability to add starches (which has the highest calorie count) to my diet so for me to eat 1900 calories I would burst my stomach. I eat till full sometimes thats my whole plate of food sometimes not. Here lately it's really not, I'm not stuffing myself because a guide tells me too. Sure I haven't seen a lot of pounds drop but I have seen about 14 inches drop off my belly by it's self. My arms are more defined and my dimples have returned...I'm doing something right...

I am limited with certain foods also. I eat as much as I can but other than meat once in a while and maybe a little dairy most of my foods are low cal. The only big difference in my eating since logging my foods has been to switch to sugar free coffee creamer and use less.

I am really trying to add in more vegetables. I was so much healthier as a vegetarian but started eating meat again when I became anemic. That had nothing to do with my way of eating, so please no one jump on me. Well now after 4 years of shots and pills and everything else trying to deal with my problems they tell me I need to really try hard to stay away from animal products.

Wouldn't be that much of a problem but in these years I found out I had issues with other foods and have had to cut them out. So I'm slowly trying to get in a groove that works for me. It is just for me and my body. I don't live and die by charts. I'm not going to starve or forcefeed myself. lol.

I understand eating back your calories. However I have looked at a lot of diaries by people insisting it's the only way to go. It seems to work for people who eat good foods. But I think if a person is eating at taco bell and wendy's everyday then eating eating back the calories is not what the problem is.

I eat more on days I need it. Today I have a lot to do, or plan on doing a lot. Okay, I really hope I get it all done. lol. I'm about to go eat a good breakfast and will have an early lunch and eat more than usual.

so don't stress if you aren't eating back every calorie or numbers on a chart aren't working for you. Everyone is different. You may need more or less of the recommended amount. Sometimes it's as simple as dropping a few food items and replacing them with something different.

For the record I have not looked at anyone's food diary on this thread so I am not speaking about anyone directly.
  • mocchioni
    mocchioni Posts: 63 Member
    This was a good thread for me. I need to find out more about this. When I signed up it set my intake at 1630 a day and I have been under that.

Thanks to everyone that posted.

Mark
  • Generally speaking, I eat under my BMR, but I don't feel like I am starving. I eat when I am hungry and I now make healthier food choices. When I really want to eat, I go crazy on grapes.

For what its worth, I watched the Weight of the Nation series I think it was on HBO and from what I understood, when you start cutting calories and losing weight, is when you body starts fighting the weight loss, there is a hormone released that makes you more hungry and tries extremely hard to get yourself back to that higher weight. If you are overweight or obese or ever have been, generally you will have to consume less calories and work out harder than someone who never did and is the same weight as you. Our bodies are amazing and become super efficient. "Starvation" mode is going to happen before you get below your BMR, at least according to their studies.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    My calculated BMR is 1303. I net 1700 and managed to get to goal. I highly recommend upping intake. I did the 1200 thing, I cannot describe to you how much better I feel even though I thought I felt fine before

This is me exactly, except being shorter and older, my numbers are slightly lower. My BRM is a little over 1200, and I did best netting 1500. Everything was better on just a little more calories... my mood, energy, stamina, even my hair, skin and nails! In fact, my fingernails are growing so fast, it's really annoying. I feel like I'm always trimming these suckers so I can put my contacts in without stabbing myself.
  • CoderGal

This is me exactly, except being shorter and older, my numbers are slightly lower. My BRM is a little over 1200, and I did best netting 1500. Everything was better on just a little more calories... my mood, energy, stamina, even my hair, skin and nails! In fact, my fingernails are growing so fast, it's really annoying. I feel like I'm always trimming these suckers so I can put my contacts in without stabbing myself.
    Exactly. I always use to have long nails and they all cracked off when I ate less. It drove me crazy. I get cold shivers if something touches the tip of my finger and my nails prevent that haha. Started eating more but they'd crack off at a point that was long. Then I upped protein. Now I have to trim them because they just get ridiculous...I don't even know what the cracking length is any more because I won't let them grow long enough. I thought I cracked one the other day but it just bent backwards haha. I put on fake nails the other day and my real nails were far longer then them lol. The texture of my hair also definitely improved a noticeable degree. And I thought I had energy before but I definitely didn't comparatively.
  • QuietImperfections
    QuietImperfections Posts: 57 Member
    *raises hand* I do!

I keep seeing threads that say "Don't eat under your BMR." and I'm just like ----> :frown: "Why not?" lol

But in all seriousness, I'm not sure if I could eat more if I tried. The only time I actually eat my estimated BMR (usually over) is when I eat restaurant/fast food. When I eat the healthier items that we have in my house or just pay attention to my allotted calories, I have a hard time just getting to 1200...

The thing is, I pretty much eat the same amount (I'd say between 1000-1400 calories if I haven't gorged myself on 'bad' stuff). I try to work out everyday and still don't eat more (I very rarely eat my exercise calories back). I tend to get full rather quickly and start to feel sick if I eat anymore than I already have. So I just kinda let that BMR thing go. I eat when I'm hungry and I stop when I'm full. I'm not gonna stuff myself just to reach a number :ohwell:

I say do what works for you :bigsmile:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    HI!

B x

Hmmm. My BMR is around 1600. My TDEE is around 3800.....
  • CoderGal
    HI!

B x

I'm morbidly obese and I eat my TDEE- 15% and still above my BMR and I'm still losing weight at a healthy rate (and it's noticeable!). Yes, if you are morbidly obese you could go way low on cals for a while and lose weight really fast but it's more sustainable if you lose at a slower rate. Better to make a lifestyle change you will stick with than to do something drastic unless your health is so bad you're about to keel over if you don't lose the weight asap.
    Yeah, she's pretty wrong. Her explanation shows that she doesn't know what the definition of BMR is. Not to mention yes 3500 calories=1 lb of fat but when you lose weight you don't only lose fat. This is why there are studies on the affects metabolism has on weight loss. Not to mention the fact you wouldn't need to cut 500 a day off your minimum calorie needs if you were burning allot more then that...what?

I also lost a pound a week and given I'm at the tip of underweight I think that's more then a noticeable amount.