BMR!! who eats under that like me?!

Options

Replies

• birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My BMR is only around 1275 on sedentary days I still aim for 1300 but that won't cut it now that I'm doing Insanity.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    LISTEN TO DAN....
  • oonegative
    Options
    good idea
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    My BMR is about 1600-1700 per day. This is what my body would use if I laid in bed all day.
    You would actually use up more as you go about your day, that is whay a woman should eat 2000 calories per day to maintain her weight.
    However if you only eat 1200 per day eventually your body will think you are starving yourself and your metabolism will slow right down. You will then lose weight very very slowly.
    I was advised not to eat too low, so my weekly calories are 9100 (average 1300 per day). However I eat like this:
    Monday: 1300
    Tuesday: 1100
    Wednesday: 1300
    Thursday: 1300
    Friday: 1100
    Saturday: 1600
    Sunday: 1400

This way I find my body never gets used to a particular amount of calories per day and I should continue to lose weight at 1-2lbs per week.

From ContradictionsRUs.com
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    My BMR is about 1600-1700 per day. This is what my body would use if I laid in bed all day.
    You would actually use up more as you go about your day, that is whay a woman should eat 2000 calories per day to maintain her weight.
    However if you only eat 1200 per day eventually your body will think you are starving yourself and your metabolism will slow right down. You will then lose weight very very slowly.
    I was advised not to eat too low, so my weekly calories are 9100 (average 1300 per day). However I eat like this:
    Monday: 1300
    Tuesday: 1100
    Wednesday: 1300
    Thursday: 1300
    Friday: 1100
    Saturday: 1600
    Sunday: 1400

This way I find my body never gets used to a particular amount of calories per day and I should continue to lose weight at 1-2lbs per week.

From ContradictionsRUs.com
    nxkih3jpg.gif

She hasnt a clue....
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Did you use a fork to type this? Right down to "exxercise"?

rude.. if you don't have anything helpful to comment and help with then why bother at all?!.. I wrote this at night and tired.. and obviously didnt proof-read! big whoop!.. didnt know I was going on a spelling Bee to start a post!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    30d9zeb.gif
  • sissie2955
    Options
    Imagine needing $5 a day to operate your body.
    Without the $5 you dont get the proper gas for the engine or the oil.
    You are in essence, running on empty.

Now if you have a body fat level that puts you in the obese II or obese III category then this is okay for a while.
    If you are just overweight then you are doing it wrong.

The body is a complex system and many factors come into play with losing weight.
    Unfortunately cutting cals to bare bones isnt going to work forever and the catabolic effects on lean tissue can be extreme.

IMO I would reset MFP to something other than sedentary and appx 1lb a week lost.

Read here for more info on my methods and see if they are for you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I agree here. I have been doing this a long time and I have had two major people in my life during my journey. 1 A trainer that is also and RN & 2 a doctor. If you continously eat below what your body needs your body will first go after muscle to survive including the muscle around your heart. Some eople that have done the adkins type diet have later had severe issues or died due to the loss of muscle from around the heart.

By using body bugg I have learned that you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories to loose 1lb of fat. But at that I was still eating what I should to keep the proper balance.
  • sissie2955
    Options

rude.. if you don't have anything helpful to comment and help with then why bother at all?!.. I wrote this at night and tired.. and obviously didnt proof-read! big whoop!.. didnt know I was going on a spelling Bee to start a post!

Don;t let idiots like that ruin your day. There are some everywhere. Just ignore crap like that and keep it moving. :)
  • mccbabe1
    Options
    Thanks Sissie! :wink:
  • sissie2955
    Options
    Dan - Can you PM your info? The thread is locked and I wanted to bump it for later or try to print t out to look at.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I agree here. I have been doing this a long time and I have had two major people in my life during my journey. 1 A trainer that is also and RN & 2 a doctor. If you continously eat below what your body needs your body will first go after muscle to survive including the muscle around your heart. Some eople that have done the adkins type diet have later had severe issues or died due to the loss of muscle from around the heart.

What muscle is "around your heart"? My heart is muscle. You will not catabolize muscle unless you have inadequate protein in your diet. So long as you eat enough protein for cellular repair and for any glucose requirements not met by your diet your body will be quite happy to use its stored fat for energy. When you run out of excess fat then you can worry.

Maybe you failed to understand what your expert friends told you.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    HI!

I'm no nutritionist but I have done a semester in nutrition for my degree and, as I understand it, your BMR makes up the bulk of your daily calorific usage - all the moving around and stuff we do adds up to nowhere near as many calories. In order to lose 1lb of fat you must create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories (that's how much energy is stored in a pound of body fat). If you eat at or just above your BMR you will lose weight but so slowly it'd be barely noticeable.

For instance, if you want to lose a pound a week you have to cut 500 calories a day off your minimum calorie needs in order for your body to burn fat to make up the calories.

Does that make any sense?

B x

Oy vey... you NEED to eat ABOVE BMR but BELOW TDEE. I eat above my BMR but 20% lower than my TDEE and am losing "noticable" weight.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Now if you have a body fat level that puts you in the obese II or obese III category then this is okay for a while.

The body is a complex system and many factors come into play with losing weight.
    Unfortunately cutting cals to bare bones isnt going to work forever and the catabolic effects on lean tissue can be extreme.

This is crap. Whether or not eating at less than your BMR is a bad thing, the explanations for it need to be based on actual science, not just this "imagine a fuel tank" nonsense. It's like the people who insist that you need to eat a bunch of small meals during the day, because your metabolism "is like a fire that you don't want to let go out."

Using metaphors is fine for helping someone to understand a concept, but they should never be the actual explanation.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I am wondering about the BMR too. I hadn't even heard of it before I joined almost two weeks ago and my BMR is something like 1800 and I've been recommended to eat 1400 on my diet in order to lose 2lbs per week and so far I'm bang on target so am thinking that my diet recommendation calories must be right and the BMR is maybe if you don't want to lose weight????

Can anyone baby step me through it :)

This is the easiest website I've found to follow http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Did MFP recommend 1400?
  • mrskevsmith
    Options
    I just realized that I am not eating enough calories!! that would explain why Im not losing weight....THIS IS SOOO FREAKING DEPRESSING.... WHO CAN HELP??
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Don;t let idiots like that ruin your day. There are some everywhere. Just ignore crap like that and keep it moving. :)

Still here ;) I'm not an idiot, but I guess if it's opposite day...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

This is crap. Whether or not eating at less than your BMR is a bad thing, the explanations for it need to be based on actual science, not just this "imagine a fuel tank" nonsense. It's like the people who insist that you need to eat a bunch of small meals during the day, because your metabolism "is like a fire that you don't want to let go out."

Using metaphors is fine for helping someone to understand a concept, but they should never be the actual explanation.

Heres the explanation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1332 according to MFP and I'm pretty much sedentary. I'm a housewife, so about all I do it takes care of our tiny apt which doesn't take much. I always eat more than 1332, but I never net that unless I don't exercise.
  • mccbabe1
    Options
    I am wondering about the BMR too. I hadn't even heard of it before I joined almost two weeks ago and my BMR is something like 1800 and I've been recommended to eat 1400 on my diet in order to lose 2lbs per week and so far I'm bang on target so am thinking that my diet recommendation calories must be right and the BMR is maybe if you don't want to lose weight????

Can anyone baby step me through it :)

This is the easiest website I've found to follow http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Did MFP recommend 1400?

i put my wt loss at 2#'s a week and it said to eat 1200 calories a day to get to that wt...
    just seems low and sometimes i'm way freakin hungry still.. LOL :/
    thank you for that scooby workshop sight! imma check it out now..