why obsess over carbs?

Options

Replies

• Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Some people do much better on a reduced carbohydrate diet, especially diabetics.
    Many people also pick up books-- like stuff by Taubes-- and then develop a completely misinformed view of carbs because while he's wrong on a few key things, he's also very convincing. They then think it's "science" when it's actually a selection of studies that support his claim while ignoring the majority of studies that suggest otherwise.

The ultimate problem with this is that carbs get demonized by people who don't need to avoid them.

All that being said though, low carb dieting has it's place and is a great tool for those that it fits.
    good advice
    how YOU doin?:flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Your body does need carbs to function optimally. That said some people are more sensitive to certain foods, and different bodies respond differently to certain types of diets.

Personally, I do not believe all calories are created equally. I eat plenty of carbs, but I get mine from whole wheat/grains and fruits. I find that keeping variety in my diet makes me feel healthiest and happiest. Also, it's important to find a diet that is sustainable as a lifestyle.
    Great post. And yes, for some folks: their "lifestyle" doesn't include white bread and potatoes.
    Are they wrong? No. Just doing what works for them.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I don't obsess, but I eat lower carb. They are absolutely not needed, with the exception of fiber. There is no reason my body needs the heaps of white pasta and bread I used to feed it,and there's no reason it needs much sugar at all. I can't say I'll never have pasta again, but for the most part, I'm trying to replace it with lean protein and fiber.

Also, my diet is most certainly a sustainable lifestyle, maybe because I don't go to extremes either way.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When I was 23, I was at a healthy weight, eating whatever I wanted, in whatever quantities, and exercising very little, compared to my activity as a teenager. At 38, I have realized that exercise is extremely important to good health. And I agree that through exercise you can increase energy levels, elevate your mood, and feel like a human again.

I also agree that carbs are important for energy. I try to get in protein, carbs, and fat in every meal. My diet is 50% carbs. Though I have decreased my sugar intake and make sure the carbs that I eat have fiber in them. (At 38, fiber is also very important!)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I defo agree that for medical reasons it makes sense sorry i didnt make that clear with my post.i was referring to healthy ppl who do these things of not eating pasta or bread and only steamed veg...i just dont understand why lol

There's a few reasons that I can think of, outside of allergies/medical reasons:

1) Vegetables are typically more nutrient dense. This doesn't make bread bad and spinach good, but the nutrient profile of each item is very different and vegetables will provide more bang for the buck.

Now, to be clear, I don't think this is a valid reason to AVOID bread or pasta. However, it's a good reason to choose vegetables over bread some of the time.

2) Calorie density/Satiety. For people who are aiming to eat for volume, you can eat a buttload of vegetables for the same energy cost as a small bowl of pasta or a slice or two of bread.

3) Fear mongering. A lot of people have the misunderstanding that certain food items are inherently lipogenic.

EDIT: I believe "Essential" is typically defined as "something you need to eat because your body cannot provide it by itself". Now if I'm wrong on that, go ahead and correct me -- but based on that, carbs are not essential. You can manufacture satisfactory levels of glucose for brain fuel via gluconeogenesis. You'll eventually convert non carbohydrate sources to glucose.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fantastic for muscle building!
    I'll nom on these after lifting heavy with a good bit of protein and it wont go to fat!
    In fact it goes to muscle repair.
    Same goes for whole grain breads and pasta.
    Do I eat these things on rest days....sometimes.
    I guess theres a time and place for just about any type of food!
  • Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    I defo agree that for medical reasons it makes sense sorry i didnt make that clear with my post.i was referring to healthy ppl who do these things of not eating pasta or bread and only steamed veg...i just dont understand why lol

There's a few reasons that I can think of, outside of allergies/medical reasons:

1) Vegetables are typically more nutrient dense. This doesn't make bread bad and spinach good, but the nutrient profile of each item is very different and vegetables will provide more bang for the buck.

Now, to be clear, I don't think this is a valid reason to AVOID bread or pasta. However, it's a good reason to choose vegetables over bread some of the time.

2) Calorie density/Satiety. For people who are aiming to eat for volume, you can eat a buttload of vegetables for the same energy cost as a small bowl of pasta or a slice or two of bread.

3) Fear mongering. A lot of people have the misunderstanding that certain food items are inherently lipogenic.

EDIT: I believe "Essential" is typically defined as "something you need to eat because your body cannot provide it by itself". Now if I'm wrong on that, go ahead and correct me -- but based on that, carbs are not essential. You can manufacture satisfactory levels of glucose for brain fuel via gluconeogenesis. You'll eventually convert non carbohydrate sources to glucose.

thanks thats very explanatory...I didnt start this post to offend anyone or call them silly I honestly thought perhaps I am doing summot wrong and shud limit some foods.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    That said.....

It all comes down to preference and or food type allergies.

If you have allergies to carbs then dont eat them.

If not then go to town!

That sums it up perfectly.

I'm 40 and love carbs. I have a bagel for breakfast most mornings. Love pizza, pasta, potatoes, rice, breads. It hasn't had any negative impact on my progress. I've been within a healthy weight range most of my life, except for a few years when I suffered from depression. But even then, I was barely overweight.

My sister is a few years older, has struggled with her weight her whole life, and is prediabetic and sensitive to carbs, so she has to limit her intake.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Because that's what works for some of us. Why is that of any concern to you? What works for you works for you, and what works for me works for me. Our bodies are different, as are we (thank God!).
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and have spent the last decade overweight, on one diet or another, with very poor eating habits, and the ketogenic diet (<20 carbs a day, mostly from green vegetables) is the only one that has consistently helped me lose weight without suffering. I've been diagnosed with insulin resistance, which is exacerbated if you eat a diet high in carbohydrates. I find that when I cut out the breads, the pasta, the root vegetables, and most importantly, the SUGAR I have more energy, I feel better, my mind is clearer.

Pretty much THIS ^^

I don't have to go as low as ketogenic, but I sure cannot eat the *normal* amount of 200g+ per day.

I spent 3 months working out 90 minutes 3-4x a week and following the MFP suggested macros. I lost 7 lbs, but spent 2 months gaining and losing 3lbs of it.

Then I cut my carbs down to ~100g net per day...but I had trouble eating enough when I was burning 500 calories 4x a week, so I cut my workout down to 60 minutes 4x a week..the first week I lost 5lbs, the first month I lost 8 lbs, the second month I lost 6lbs, and the third month I lost 3-4lbs. That is 7lbs eating a *normal* calorie deficit diet vs. 17.8lbs eating a lower carb diet where I allow myself treats ( such as ice cream, etc) within my macros.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    That said.....

It all comes down to preference and or food type allergies.

If you have allergies to carbs then dont eat them.

If not then go to town!

That sums it up perfectly.

I'm 40 and love carbs. I have a bagel for breakfast most mornings. Love pizza, pasta, potatoes, rice, breads. It hasn't had any negative impact on my progress. I've been within a healthy weight range most of my life, except for a few years when I suffered from depression. But even then, I was barely overweight.

My sister is a few years older, has struggled with her weight her whole life, and is prediabetic and sensitive to carbs, so she has to limit her intake.

You look better and better with age BTW. Been following you for a year now and i'm very impressed!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You are 23, maybe you would consider other dietary options if you were, say, 41 and had a metabolism that had been knocked-about by the progress of time and a diet too heavy in carbohydrate.

When I was 23 I had way more latitude for my diet and I'd be rabbiting 'a calorie is a calorie' and 'we need carbs for energy'. Hey, just eat less and exercise more lardy!

Given I am 41 and prone to reading up about the science, not magazine articles, I don't rabbit anymore.

I turn 41 next month. I don't monitor or count my carbs at all. A full 50-55% (250-300g a day) of my diet comes from carbs - and not all of them vegetables, brown rice and lower-sugar fruits. I eat regular pasta, white bread and sugar regularly. I didn't have any problem losing weight. I haven't had any problem keeping it off. And my bloodwork and all other health measures look perfect.

I think you were kind of rude to the OP. Younger people can read, they can interpret scientific evidence and they can make informed decisions about their own health. And by that token, people over 40 can read popular magazine articles, watch Dr. Oz, and make ill-informed health decisions. Age doesn't determine your capability for making informed decisions.

Different strokes for different folks...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    A high protein, low carb diet keeps me much fuller much longer than anything else I've ever tried. I don't constantly think about food or constantly crave on low carb.

That said, it's no miracle, or not for me. I do sometimes get cravings. I had really hoped it would help with my allergy induced asthma, as some people claim it did for theirs, but I don't see much, if any difference. I still get stuck once a month and stop losing no matter what I do (hate that!).

I still record every calorie that goes in my mouth. The difference is, on low carb, sometimes I actually struggle to get enough calories (at least partly because I get bored of my more limited food choices to the point where even if I'm hungry, I don't want to eat!)
  • Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    Because that's what works for some of us. Why is that of any concern to you? What works for you works for you, and what works for me works for me. Our bodies are different, as are we (thank God!).
    its a forum n ppl discuss all sorts on here i had a question so i asked no insult to anyone.neither did i force ppl to read or reply to it,so no need to get defensive...
  • sbenskin001
    sbenskin001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and have spent the last decade overweight, on one diet or another, with very poor eating habits, and the ketogenic diet (<20 carbs a day, mostly from green vegetables) is the only one that has consistently helped me lose weight without suffering. I've been diagnosed with insulin resistance, which is exacerbated if you eat a diet high in carbohydrates. I find that when I cut out the breads, the pasta, the root vegetables, and most importantly, the SUGAR I have more energy, I feel better, my mind is clearer.

When I go to a party and get talked into cake or something, it's like giving an abstaining alcoholic "just one shot." It sets off this crazy feedback loop where I begin to crave carbs, my mind gets fuzzy, the fatigue sets in, and then I get into terrible habits like 2 breakfast tacos and biscuits and gravy for breakfast every single morning because it feels good (in my brain, not my body) and I don't feel full unless I seriously overeat. Emotional eating is a b**** and I'm completely guilty of it. Regulating my intake, writing everything down, and seeing the progress on the scale has helped me a lot.

So, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I am 26 and insulin resistant also. I have had a hard time explaining these exact feelings to my family!! I go carb crazy once I have had a sugar/processed carb!! If I only get my carbs from fruits veggies and the occasional home made whole grain carb I do great. But as soon as I allow myself a sugar splurge even in MODERATION it is so long feeling good and lay on the unhealthy eating.

I do agree however that each person has to find their own combination for dieting. If you are into a healthy weight and exercise routine you do have the ability usually to have a more flexible for lack of a better word deit I believe. I would like to think when I get to my healthy weight and have my insulin issues under control that I will be able to have cake at the occasional birthday party and things of that nature but who knows maybe I will never be one of those people. I am a believer no carbs will work but just like everything else it is not for everyone! I struggle with it and I have a medical reason to follow it. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Because understanding why it works and who it's a good fit for, can help people decide whether or not they need to do it. Your body may be different but the physiology of fat loss is remarkably similar for everyone.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    its a forum n ppl discuss all sorts on here i had a question so i asked no insult to anyone.neither did i force ppl to read or reply to it,so no need to get defensive...

The reason you're getting grief is the tone of your original post, and your replies aren't helping. If you don't like it, next time you post, change your tone. Simple as.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You are 23, maybe you would consider other dietary options if you were, say, 41 and had a metabolism that had been knocked-about by the progress of time and a diet too heavy in carbohydrate.

When I was 23 I had way more latitude for my diet and I'd be rabbiting 'a calorie is a calorie' and 'we need carbs for energy'. Hey, just eat less and exercise more lardy!

Given I am 41 and prone to reading up about the science, not magazine articles, I don't rabbit anymore.

This! Some people aren't as blessed as you! After two kids, and with hashimotos my body will not metabolize like it did when I was 23. I miss those days..... I could just work out 3 times a week and lose weight easily. I never worried about carbs at 23 either. If I did I wouldn't have had such a good time at the bars.

Life is good for you, enjoy it :flowerforyou:
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

I turn 41 next month. I don't monitor or count my carbs at all. A full 50-55% (250-300g a day) of my diet comes from carbs - and not all of them vegetables, brown rice and lower-sugar fruits. I eat regular pasta, white bread and sugar regularly. I didn't have any problem losing weight. I haven't had any problem keeping it off. And my bloodwork and all other health measures look perfect.

I think you were kind of rude to the OP. Younger people can read, they can interpret scientific evidence and they can make informed decisions about their own health. And by that token, people over 40 can read popular magazine articles, watch Dr. Oz, and make ill-informed health decisions. Age doesn't determine your capability for making informed decisions.

Different strokes for different folks...
    QFT! Said it better than I ever could. And I'm 49...CALORIES IN<CALORIES OUT, FOLKS!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Eating too many carbs is bull**** in my opinion.. I eat more than 200g (45% - 50%) daily and lose weight fine. Although sometimes reducing carbs does work on others.