why obsess over carbs?

Options

Replies

• Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    Because that's what works for some of us. Why is that of any concern to you? What works for you works for you, and what works for me works for me. Our bodies are different, as are we (thank God!).
    its a forum n ppl discuss all sorts on here i had a question so i asked no insult to anyone.neither did i force ppl to read or reply to it,so no need to get defensive...

The reason you're getting grief is the tone of your original post, and your replies aren't helping. If you don't like it, next time you post, change your tone. Simple as.

like i have been saying i didnt mean to insult anyone and i didnt realise there was a negative tone to my post.I wanted to chat to ppl on here as havent really done much since joined,but appears it dont work ...
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    My reason for low carb is that carbs don't fill me up. I can easily binge on 500-700 calories of empty carbs, but not so with lean protein. I noticed that, for me, on days when I had higher carb counts as opposed to higher counts for protein or even fats, I ate more calories and felt hungrier. That's why I limit. Because, again, for myself, I can eat fewer calories and feel much more satisfied with a lower carb diet.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I defo agree that for medical reasons it makes sense sorry i didnt make that clear with my post.i was referring to healthy ppl who do these things of not eating pasta or bread and only steamed veg...i just dont understand why lol

There's a few reasons that I can think of, outside of allergies/medical reasons:

1) Vegetables are typically more nutrient dense. This doesn't make bread bad and spinach good, but the nutrient profile of each item is very different and vegetables will provide more bang for the buck.

Now, to be clear, I don't think this is a valid reason to AVOID bread or pasta. However, it's a good reason to choose vegetables over bread some of the time.

2) Calorie density/Satiety. For people who are aiming to eat for volume, you can eat a buttload of vegetables for the same energy cost as a small bowl of pasta or a slice or two of bread.

3) Fear mongering. A lot of people have the misunderstanding that certain food items are inherently lipogenic.

EDIT: I believe "Essential" is typically defined as "something you need to eat because your body cannot provide it by itself". Now if I'm wrong on that, go ahead and correct me -- but based on that, carbs are not essential. You can manufacture satisfactory levels of glucose for brain fuel via gluconeogenesis. You'll eventually convert non carbohydrate sources to glucose.

You're so smart... *swoon*
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That said.....

It all comes down to preference and or food type allergies.

If you have allergies to carbs then dont eat them.

If not then go to town!

That sums it up perfectly.

I'm 40 and love carbs....

You look better and better with age BTW. Been following you for a year now and i'm very impressed!

I completely agree. Your progress has been very inspiring to follow pretty lady!
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    If you are trying to manage a caloric deficit and having issues with appetite control, replacing carb-heavy foods with protein or fat-heavy ones instead will generally make the calories you DO consume much more satisfying.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different follks. What works for one doesn't work for all. Many people cannot lose weight if they eat carbs. Others cannot stick to it without eating carbs (like myself). All that matters is that each of us does what works for us.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I'm 33 and I don't track carbs. I have my diary set for a fat value that I intend to stay under and a protein value that I intend to go over.

It may be a little harder for someone on a net deficit because they still need at least .9g/kg (.4g/lb) of protein from fewer calories, so carbs or fat may need to be cut.

Otherwise, if you're on maintenance and you exercise, your macros aren't really that important. The primary difference between the macros above your minimums is that protein, alcohol, complex carbs, and unsaturated fats have a higher DIT (TEF) than simple sugars and saturated fats.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Some people do much better on a reduced carbohydrate diet, especially diabetics.
    Many people also pick up books-- like stuff by Taubes-- and then develop a completely misinformed view of carbs because while he's wrong on a few key things, he's also very convincing. They then think it's "science" when it's actually a selection of studies that support his claim while ignoring the majority of studies that suggest otherwise.

The ultimate problem with this is that carbs get demonized by people who don't need to avoid them.

All that being said though, low carb dieting has it's place and is a great tool for those that it fits.

Mostly this. It has it's place for some.

It isn't for me though. I don't intentionally do low carb, but most days I don't hit my "goal" even though I eat a serving of carbs like whole wheat bread, oats, or brown rice with the 3 main meals of the day. I am not at risk for diabetes or anything else really. I've never had a problem even at my heaviest. I was "healthy" (even though obviously I was not healthy at 304lbs... LOL).

My parents are obviously much older. they don't eat any breads, pasta, etc and they've lost an insane amount of weight in a short period of time by cutting out all sugars (even honey and others), animal protein (other than eggs), and a few other things. That works for them and that's wonderful! If I tried that, my husband would surly turn into a binge eater and go sleep walking to Taco Bell in the middle of the night. LOL We simply try to eat a balanced diet and I am looking to go to school to be a registered dietician. I have learned a lot about diet and nutrition over the last few years, but I have so much more to learn!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. And while they are not a "essential nutrient" my brain gets fuzzy when I don't get enough of them. And there are studies that show I'm not the only one.

That being said, I balance everything out and get a bit of everything. And I like my carbs to be from sprouted grains and fruits. some people fill up on what I'd consider to many empty carbs and end up with nutrient difficencies or getting diseases such as thyroid problems and diabeties. You tell some of these people to up their protein and cut out carbs and they trade the copious amounts of salty nacho chips and donuts for a chicken breast. Even those who count calories with these problems find they process food better this way (especially if they dont exercise). Don't get me wrong I don't eat healthy all the time but I don't eat the same food group all the time and some people I am surprised by. Thats why you get people who manage to control diseases with diet. Bodies are funny things. They have a way to tell you they dont like whats going on.

Not everyones diet is balanced. Carbs are great if you use them and your not missing things in your diet. I love my carbs when I go on hikes. Fuel for the soul.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Contrary to some that have posted, I saw no negative tone to your OP. I just saw someone wanting to understand and maybe slightly niave. My take pretty much agrees with Sidesteal but I'm going to put an addiional twist on it. I am a firm believer in intentionality. So, for me carbs, along with protein, fats and micronutrients are things to effectively manage for optimal heatlh.

I'm a middle of the roader on carbs. Not too many, not too few. I want enough to fuel my energy level and workouts and not so much that I experience cravings, which I've had an issue with in the past. I do believe that low carb dieting is effective for some, particularly those who have medical conditions like pre diabetes and insulin resistance. And there are some who's bodies just respond well to this. I don't however, think low carb is a universally effective protocol. Just one tool that may or may not work for some. I am also generally against demonizing foods or food groups.
  • twinkiemommyrd
    Options
    As a registered dietitian with undergraduate and graduate degrees in nutrition and exercise science, I am here to tell you that the tides are changing on how much carbohydrate you actually need. Albeit, slowly... but it is happening. We are realizing that the "low fat" craze and recommendations from the American Heart Association and the National Institutes of Health were not based on anecdotal evidence as much as they were based on assumptions because the advisory panels were pressured to give recommendations before they were actually ready to do so. In turn, they jumped on the fat begets fat bandwagon.

I have been a practicing professional in the industry for more than 12 years, and have seen hundreds of patients struggling to lose weight; I struggled with my own weight myself as a teenager and young adult, and it will always be something I have to work to maintain. My professional (and personal) experience alone have proven to me that moderate/lower carbohydrate intake can make all the difference in the world for people trying to lose or struggling to bust through plateaus. It has intrigued me so much that I am currently working on my PhD and my research centers around this very subject.

I do not wish to start arguments, but I do wish to tell you that watching your carbohydrate intake (especially your refined carbohydrate intake) is just as important, (possibly more important) than watching your saturated fat intake and your overall calorie intake. Especially as you get older and hormonal decline really takes it's toll. One thing I would urge ANY person who is concerned with their weight to do is to read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It is not a diet plan, but rather a map of human nutrition and the medical and governmental war against the obesity epidemic. We should be eating MORE healthy fats and LESS carbohydrates along with the standard prescription of moving more and eating less. I don't mention my degrees to brag or sound like a know-it-all, but more to let you know that I am a professional in this field, who is up to date with all the current research and not just a lay person spewing something they read or believe on faith alone.

I am not advocating a no carbohydrate diet (although that can be a good weight loss tool if you slowly add in unrefined and healthy carbohydrates and reduce your saturated fat intake in order to end up with a more sustainable long-term lifestyle change), but I am advocating one that is devoid of refined carbohydrates (i.e sugar, white flour, processed foods) and sources most of its carbohydrate energy from non-starchy vegetables, fruit, 100% whole grains, starchy vegetables and refined carbohydrates in that order.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    As a registered dietitian with undergraduate and graduate degrees in nutrition and exercise science, I am here to tell you that the tides are changing on how much carbohydrate you actually need. Albeit, slowly... but it is happening. We are realizing that the "low fat" craze and recommendations from the American Heart Association and the National Institutes of Health were not based on anecdotal evidence as much as they were based on assumptions because the advisory panels were pressured to give recommendations before they were actually ready to do so. In turn, they jumped on the fat begets fat bandwagon.

I have been a practicing professional in the industry for more than 12 years, and have seen hundreds of patients struggling to lose weight; I struggled with my own weight myself as a teenager and young adult, and it will always be something I have to work to maintain. My professional (and personal) experience alone have proven to me that moderate/lower carbohydrate intake can make all the difference in the world for people trying to lose or struggling to bust through plateaus. It has intrigued me so much that I am currently working on my PhD and my research centers around this very subject.

I do not wish to start arguments, but I do wish to tell you that watching your carbohydrate intake (especially your refined carbohydrate intake) is just as important, (possibly more important) than watching your saturated fat intake and your overall calorie intake. Especially as you get older and hormonal decline really takes it's toll. One thing I would urge ANY person who is concerned with their weight to do is to read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It is not a diet plan, but rather a map of human nutrition and the medical and governmental war against the obesity epidemic. We should be eating MORE healthy fats and LESS carbohydrates along with the standard prescription of moving more and eating less. I don't mention my degrees to brag or sound like a know-it-all, but more to let you know that I am a professional in this field, who is up to date with all the current research and not just a lay person spewing something they read or believe on faith alone.

I am not advocating a no carbohydrate diet (although that can be a good weight loss tool if you slowly add in unrefined and healthy carbohydrates and reduce your saturated fat intake in order to end up with a more sustainable long-term lifestyle change), but I am advocating one that is devoid of refined carbohydrates (i.e sugar, white flour, processed foods) and sources most of its carbohydrate energy from non-starchy vegetables, fruit, 100% whole grains, starchy vegetables and refined carbohydrates in that order.

Can you tell me why 100% avoidance of sugar, white flour, and processed foods is a good idea considering the food relationship issues that many people ALREADY have?

Are you familiar with orthorexia and can you tell me if fat storage can exceed fat oxidation in a calorie deficit?

Are you aware of the research that Taubes EXCLUDES from his work that also (coincidentally LOL) disagrees with his findings?
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I defo agree that for medical reasons it makes sense sorry i didnt make that clear with my post.i was referring to healthy ppl who do these things of not eating pasta or bread and only steamed veg...i just dont understand why lol

There's a few reasons that I can think of, outside of allergies/medical reasons:

1) Vegetables are typically more nutrient dense. This doesn't make bread bad and spinach good, but the nutrient profile of each item is very different and vegetables will provide more bang for the buck.

Now, to be clear, I don't think this is a valid reason to AVOID bread or pasta. However, it's a good reason to choose vegetables over bread some of the time.

2) Calorie density/Satiety. For people who are aiming to eat for volume, you can eat a buttload of vegetables for the same energy cost as a small bowl of pasta or a slice or two of bread.

3) Fear mongering. A lot of people have the misunderstanding that certain food items are inherently lipogenic.

EDIT: I believe "Essential" is typically defined as "something you need to eat because your body cannot provide it by itself". Now if I'm wrong on that, go ahead and correct me -- but based on that, carbs are not essential. You can manufacture satisfactory levels of glucose for brain fuel via gluconeogenesis. You'll eventually convert non carbohydrate sources to glucose.

You're so smart... *swoon*

le sigh.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Your body does need carbs to function optimally. That said some people are more sensitive to certain foods, and different bodies respond differently to certain types of diets.

Personally, I do not believe all calories are created equally. I eat plenty of carbs, but I get mine from whole wheat/grains and fruits. I find that keeping variety in my diet makes me feel healthiest and happiest. Also, it's important to find a diet that is sustainable as a lifestyle.

^^^^ this!!!!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    i agree. I have never cut carbs and I have still lost.

I suppose there are people who are truly more sensitive to them than others, but the majority use them just the same as anyone else.

I love carbs! :D
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As an almost 40 year old female, I have to agree with some of the posts that age can make a difference with one's diet. When I was in my 20's, I could eat any kind of junk and just cut back a bit and lose weight. Now, I work out hard, run, lift pretty heavy and it is still a struggle to lose just a couple of pounds. I have recently done a "low(er) carb experiment" for the past two weeks where I have limited my grains, oats--really any BAD carbs. I see such a difference. I am still eating all veggies and some fruits but cutting out the breads and flour has made my muscles pop, my body fat go down and I just look more toned. Now that I'm at the end of the experiment, I think I will continue eating (bad) carbs only in moderation (again, I'll keep eating all the carby veggies).

I'm not trying to be condescending, but it IS shocking how ones metabolism changes as you get older. Yes, eating everything in moderation is great when you are young, but when you get older, sometimes you have to do it a little differently.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    i agree. I have never cut carbs and I have still lost.

I suppose there are people who are truly more sensitive to them than others, but the majority use them just the same as anyone else.

I love carbs! :D

totally off topic but SPNluvr, are you copping a feel off Batman?? hahaha!!
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    DedVim I hope that I have that right. I concur.

Over time carbs or as I call it compressed sugar, will overwork your pancreas. Many people do not be come diabetics till mid life!!! This by the age of 41 is when the pancreas just gives out. Hypoglycemia to Hyperglycemia.
    You are languishing in the luxury of growth hormones at your age. As you age growth hormones just go away poof vanish thin air.....and being a girl oh ho ho just wait for the pause.
    I am a low carber, to little to late.....I too was never overweight in my misspent youth. Then one day you wake up and bam weight gain. I exercise I eat right I too am loosing. Had I eschewed carbs and treated them like the devils holy trinity sugar flour and milk that they are I most likely would not have slipped into weight gain. Happily I am not a diabetic nor am I pre diabetic so I am turning this thing around and eating for my life.
    I could show you 237 diabetic cases that I manage that are a living testament to a variety of lifestyles culminating in the same end result, a blown out pancreas due to carbs poor choices. I have seen one client forgo carbs and drop 70 pounds in no time at all amazing for a type 1.

Proteins are your friend the building blocks of your body they are synthesized in your cells. Carbs are not! Carbs are just stored as fat. There are no essential carbs. Think Paleo......Think pre agrarian our bodies are NOT designed for processed foods.

Just sharing with you the wisdom of our age......as Oscar Wilde said, "youth is wasted on the young". Ask me how I know.

We are all biochemically individual....hopefully you have the unthrifty gene that will keep you svelt!
  • _Refried_
    _Refried_ Posts: 194
    Options
    I swear "MFP SCIENCE" now trumps Broscience