why oh why.

Options
Im just thinking about this alot, but why dont manufacturers take out the sugar from cereals, why not just add sweetners instead , tastes fine to me and why can we not buy low carb in the uk, this is mega annoying, You can get free from, oh yes free from wheat and gluten but not from sugar or carbs.

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My thoughts would be that sweeteners are chemical products that are horrible for the body and sugar is a natural product which is much more palatable? Plus sugar is addictive and they are a business. There are a number of sugar free or low sugar cereals in the UK though.

Because the free from ranges are there to service actual allergies not people who are on a diet. You can get plenty of low carb foods in the UK, I manage just fine, a whole variety of meat, veggies, berries, nuts. Mostly free of sugar too. Why oh why would you want to eat overprocessed "low carb" substitutes when you could be eating fresh food? If you are really desperate you can get Atkins bars in Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, and Asda.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Im just thinking about this alot, but why dont manufacturers take out the sugar from cereals, why not just add sweetners instead , tastes fine to me and why can we not buy low carb in the uk, this is mega annoying, You can get free from, oh yes free from wheat and gluten but not from sugar or carbs.

Maybe you could buy unsweetened cereal and then add your own sweetner - sugar or whatever. It's hard! When they start taking things out of foods here in the USA - they add all kinds of things that you will never be able to pronounce! Good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Try chicken
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My thoughts would be that sweeteners are chemical products that are horrible for the body and sugar is a natural product which is much more palatable? Plus sugar is addictive and they are a business. There are a number of sugar free or low sugar cereals in the UK though.

Because the free from ranges are there to service actual allergies not people who are on a diet. You can get plenty of low carb foods in the UK, I manage just fine, a whole variety of meat, veggies, berries, nuts. Mostly free of sugar too. Why oh why would you want to eat overprocessed "low carb" substitutes when you could be eating fresh food? If you are really desperate you can get Atkins bars in Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, and Asda.
    asda dont have atkins and my local tesco dont have them either, as yet have not seen them in sainsburys.And whats wrong with a low card subsitute, I eat healthy enough but i might just want something else instead.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    also ive looked in all those shops listed and non of them have low carb cereals so thats rubbish, some people talk crap
  • Crissthetealcat
    Crissthetealcat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the UK, but I just don't eat cereal. If I want a carb type snack or breakfast, I usually combine it with a protein:
    High fiber bread with tuna or egg salad or peanut butter
    Pretzel thins with hummus or peanut butter or Laughing Cow cheese
    Occasionally I will eat popcorn but it is very rare.
    If I really want cereal, I eat oatmeal. You can also make your own brown rice cereal and it's nomilicious. :happy:
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    I don't know about the UK, but I just don't eat cereal. If I want a carb type snack or breakfast, I usually combine it with a protein:
    High fiber bread with tuna or egg salad or peanut butter
    Pretzel thins with hummus or peanut butter or Laughing Cow cheese
    Occasionally I will eat popcorn but it is very rare.
    If I really want cereal, I eat oatmeal. You can also make your own brown rice cereal and it's nomilicious. :happy:
    Good ideas, but I dont bother with rice now, too many cals for such small portions and too many carbs, not sure how you would make your own rice cereal though lol
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    I would rather have the sugar. (its not evil) I just eat a serving and enjoy it. All about moderation
  • beccarockslife
    Options

asda dont have atkins and my local tesco dont have them either, as yet have not seen them in sainsburys.And whats wrong with a low card subsitute, I eat healthy enough but i might just want something else instead.

No need to be snippy, you asked a question, I gave my thoughts. Personally I don't see the point in eating overly processed chemical laden stuff when there is plenty of fresh food which has barely a carb in it. If you want pasta eat pasta, I don't really see the issue with that if you are eating healthily it can play a part, if you are on a low carb diet it can't but why chose a diet that restricts what you are going to want to eat when it's a perfectly healthy option? I don't know if you have allergies or what not but I'm guessing not. I would guess the free from range came from a NEED demand rather than a want one, no one NEEDS no carbs to stay alive.

I can only speak for my local stores (in the deep south west) and all of them stock atkins, sorry that's not the case for you.
  • beccarockslife
    Options
    If you really want stuff this site has a tonne of stuff in the uk, I googled low carb uk

http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    If you really want stuff this site has a tonne of stuff in the uk, I googled low carb uk

Im not snippy, as you put it, but you sounded sarcastic, Im human after all and can only eat some much fresh food. Ive looked at that site before and the prices are shocking. This is what I mean, they dont make it easy to lose weight do they.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Because artificial sweeteners are junk. I would rather have stuff sweetened with natural sugar then with chemical junk. Sugar will NOT make you fat by itself. It is not evil.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    also ive looked in all those shops listed and non of them have low carb cereals so thats rubbish, some people talk crap

Wow, that was rude. I'm pretty sure she was trying to help you. I don't eat low carb, so I'm not an expert, but I imagine you will struggle to find low-carb cereals. Cereals are made from grains - that's what they are. They are naturally high in carbohydrate.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

You can get sugar free cereal. Things like Shredded Wheat contain only wheat. No added sugars. As for low carb cereals, do they exist? I have never heard of it before, but its also something that I have never looked for, so I wouldn't have any idea if it did exist.

And things are free from wheat/gluten because it's a pretty serious allergy. Take it from someone with Celiac, finding a box of gluten free cereal that tastes good makes me jump for joy.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options

Wow, that was rude. I'm pretty sure she was trying to help you. I don't eat low carb, so I'm not an expert, but I imagine you will struggle to find low-carb cereals. Cereals are made from grains - that's what they are. They are naturally high in carbohydrate.
    Well I was only replying, to a underhanded comment imo.Dont speak to me in a off hand tone and i wont do it back
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    why oh why did I look at this...
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    why oh why did I look at this...

srs
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Her comments didn't come across as "off handed" to me. She was speaking the truth. To be honest, real sugar is better for your body than artificial sweeteners. That being said, sugar is still not good for you, so your best bet is to eat sweet stuff in moderation. And she was trying to help you by suggesting stores. If you've looked in those stores, you just respond with, "Oh, I've looked in those stores and I haven't found what I'm looking for." No need to say that she talks crap.
  • beccarockslife
    Options
    Why are you being so aggressive? The only person who has been rude here is you, you can't read tone of voice which is why most people give others the benefit of the doubt if they feel they are being sarky.

You aren't going to find low carb cereal. It's called cereal because it's made of grains.

Why are you low carb?

Genuine question, it's not necessary to be to lose weight. I'm not, my diet tends to end up under 100 gms of carbs because I live on food that's fresh in the majority. I don't like bread or pasta or rice.

If you like it why not eat it?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Im not snippy, as you put it, but you sounded sarcastic, Im human after all and can only eat some much fresh food. Ive looked at that site before and the prices are shocking. This is what I mean, they dont make it easy to lose weight do they.

You don't need to go low carb to lose weight, so prices at that store have no bearing on you losing weight. Also looking for low carb cereals seems a bit silly, just don't eat cereal if you want to go low carb