NSV - I QUIT!!

Options
missmgray
missmgray Posts: 152 Member
I did it! I quit smoking. Whoa! My husband, best friend and I made a pact to quit together on August first and so far so good. I really do miss my dirty little habit, especially in the morning when I normally sneak out to the patio to have coffee and smoke before my family wakes up. But I went out with my coffee and a book today and it was just as nice. I am happy that I have quit. Quitting smoking is so much like losing weight in the way that you make the positive change and don't feel the rewards right away. That makes it tricky to stay motivated but I know this is one of the best things I could possible do for myself and my family. This is really it for me. I have smoked for waaaaay too long as it is. I started at 13 years old and really smoked like a pro by the time I was 16. I'm 33. 20 f'n years! Wow. I quit during both of my pregnancies and it was the absolute dumbest thing I have ever done to start back up after so many months of abstaining. I know that this time will be different. With my hubby and bestie on board, I feel really supported. I am super excited about saving all of the money that we have normally spent of cigarettes. It is a lot. I never really thought about it until the day we quit, probably because I knew it would make me feel terrible. I am now a non-smoker and I love it!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That's a brilliant achievement - without a doubt the single most positive thing you can do for your health!
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I know it has only been a few days but I want to tell everyone i know to help keep myself on track and accountable.
    :smile:
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Best thing you could do for you and your family! Kudos to you!!!
  • TXStephSki
    TXStephSki Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am right there with you, been smoking since I was 16. Have been going strong for two months now, I can tell a huge difference. Keep it up, you can do it!
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    amazing girl! that's just awesome! KEEP IT UP AND STAY STRONG!!!
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well Done, you will feel so much better for it more and more
  • Mawra
    Mawra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You GO girl! I recently quit smoking myself as that was what my boyfriend wanted as a birthday gift. Boy was that difficult! but in the end, I somehow feel more confident, superior in fact :D
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Congratulations keep up the great job!!
  • amdst6
    amdst6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job! I quit at the end of June after smoking for about 9 years (started young too). I still get cravings and I gave in a couple weeks ago and I gave myself a sinus infection! lol It's a great feeling to not have to stop to get cigarettes in the morning or on the way home. I immediately noticed that the quality of my sleep got better and my breathing had improved as well. Anway, great job and keep it up!
  • hll2465
    hll2465 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I quit on August 1st as well. Certainly not easy! Good to know there is another quitter out there, maybe we can keep each other accountable!!
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done. I quit when pregnant with my first child (he's 39 now) and knew that if I ever picked up another cig I wouldn't be able to do it again. You're doing it the hard way. You have my respect.
  • stepnehjones
    stepnehjones Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I quit about 9 years ago, and I agree it was the best thing I ever did. Stay strong, remember through all the gut wrenching cravings, just stay commited. As time goes by, you will think about it less and less. But, you gotta put the time in. You can do it!!!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Your children will thank you when they are old enough to understand. We have begged my mom to stop for years, but she wont. She is now 66 and it is starting to affect her health, it is scary and sad to see.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Congrats!! :) I know it is hard for a lot of people to quit once getting started. This is why I'm never buying a pack again and not going to get to the point of addiction.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You should use the money you are saving to buy you a reward after a certain amount of time!! :smile:
  • lstone03
    lstone03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was just as stupid! This time I didn't start back up again. It has almost been a year since I quit.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Excellent! It's always great to have a support group with you too! Great job!
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I did it! I quit smoking. Whoa! My husband, best friend and I made a pact to quit together on August first and so far so good. I really do miss my dirty little habit, especially in the morning when I normally sneak out to the patio to have coffee and smoke before my family wakes up. But I went out with my coffee and a book today and it was just as nice. I am happy that I have quit. Quitting smoking is so much like losing weight in the way that you make the positive change and don't feel the rewards right away. That makes it tricky to stay motivated but I know this is one of the best things I could possible do for myself and my family. This is really it for me. I have smoked for waaaaay too long as it is. I started at 13 years old and really smoked like a pro by the time I was 16. I'm 33. 20 f'n years! Wow. I quit during both of my pregnancies and it was the absolute dumbest thing I have ever done to start back up after so many months of abstaining. I know that this time will be different. With my hubby and bestie on board, I feel really supported. I am super excited about saving all of the money that we have normally spent of cigarettes. It is a lot. I never really thought about it until the day we quit, probably because I knew it would make me feel terrible. I am now a non-smoker and I love it!

Great! Smoking is a hard habit to break (two family members quit smoking).
  • blondie6688
    Options
    Good for you!! You must be so proud!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!