Packing Lunches for Work

Options

Replies

• otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My friend taught me this delicious lunch i make on the regular. First you cut up 3 pieces of bacon and start browning them, then throw in 3 cloves of garlic and some veggies like carrots and cucumbers. Let those heat up and then put a splash of white wine which gets the bacon flavor off the pan. Finally, put in a whole bunch of mustard greens, mix it up and then put a lid on it for a minute so it starts to wilt.

I usually have that on quinoa or boiled sweet potato. around 360 calories depending what you put it on and it's a ton of food.

Also, you could also substitute fresh baby spinach for the mustard greens. Just let it barely wilt--don't overlook. If you don't want to use bacon, you could put small cubes of silken tofu in with the veggies. The tofu will pick up the flavor of the garlic and white wine--I might put a splash of soy sauce in there too.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great suggestions, but what I would to know is: Where did you find the cubby lunch kit? I wouldn't mind having one myself.

***OOPS! I just saw your post. ⊙_⊙
  • mirasmom02
    Options
    So many great ideas!!! YES! I haven't tried hummus but it sounds like I should give that one a try with some veggies.

When you guys do yogurt that isn't the little individual kind, what kind do you use? I was thinking of mixing in my own granola or fruits or something... I'm just not sure it is worth it. May just as well use the premixed individual cups?? What do you think?

I'd suggest going with a flavored hummus to start - roasted red pepper is a good one - plain hummus could turn you off the first time (but that's more of a texture thing than anything else)
    As far as the yogurt goes, It's more economical to buy the large container & portion it out yourself - the large container of plain or vanilla yogurt makes it possible for you to add in your own stuff like fruit or the granola you mentioned (I like to sprinkle grape nuts or honey bunches of oats on mine)
  • Sharona1958
    Sharona1958 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    bump to read ideas later!
  • ctumbarello
    ctumbarello Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas!!! YES! I haven't tried hummus but it sounds like I should give that one a try with some veggies.

When you guys do yogurt that isn't the little individual kind, what kind do you use? I was thinking of mixing in my own granola or fruits or something... I'm just not sure it is worth it. May just as well use the premixed individual cups?? What do you think?

I buy the large size yogurts and portion it out into 1/2 cup containers. I add 1/2 c. fruit of some type (berries, melons, peaches, etc.) and 1/4 c. grapenuts in a small baggie which I add when I am ready to eat it. It looks and tastes like a purchased parfait. It's decadant, as well as a lot of food that holds you for quite awhile because of the protein, carb, fat ratio.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    leftovers from whatever you had the night before. I'm not really much help because whenever I bring my lunch, it's pretty much always a sandwich.... usually a turkey sandwich. Occasionally a pb&j lol. I would also make a chicken (or tuna) salad mixture and put that in one of those little cubbies and then bring a tortilla or piece of bread and put it on there and eat it that way. Other than that I don't have any ideas. For sides and snacks I would bring celery, carrots, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, an apple or banana... maybe some cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, beef jerky............ that's all I got right now.
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, these are some awesome ideas! Definitely saving them for later. Seems perfect for sectioning off a salad for items you don't want to get squished or mushy though. I am going to go to Office Depot tomorrow!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I used to pack my lunch bento-style...I'm not very good at it, but it was fun and gave me an outlet for creativity.

For the small compartments...

green or black olives
    baby carrots
    radishes (add a sprinkle of salt= yum!)
    almonds/walnuts/peanuts
    raisins/dried cherries/prunes
    pickles
    hard boiled egg
    deviled eggs made by mixing ff italian dressing with the yolk
    hard boiled egg whites filled with hummus
    mini spinach quiches (make in muffin pan)
    crackers spread with peanut butter
    string cheese chopped into pieces
    grape tomatoes
    celery with peanut butter

For the big compartment...

fruit salad
    tuna salad over lettuce/spinach
    chicken salad over lettuce/spinach
    cottage cheese with canned pineapple/peaches/pears
    whole wheat pasta w/marinara sauce
    burrito with ff refried beans, light cheese, and onions
    leftovers as others have said
    pita sandwich-stuffed with vegetables/lunch meat/hummus/tzatziki/falafel
    smoked fish (wrap in plastic wrap to avoid your container permanently smelling like fish)
    roasted squash (butternut is good for this)
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with drIzzle of honey
    cheese string
    grapes strawberries or any other berry and melon
    salsa with veggies for dipping
    rice cakes

xxxx
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Nothing says you can't make extra at supper and pack those cubbies when you are done. Who cares if you just have a little bit. Might as well use it up if you have it.

Hummus is another great thing I love to have with some carrots or whatever your fav veggies are to eat!

Good luck and do research the net..there are lots of great ideas!

Great idea about leftovers--some meals can be made ahead with that purpose in mind. For example, grilled chicken can be tonight's main course and tomorrow's sandwich.

Fresh fruit and veggies are good. Some whole-wheat crackers and cheese is also good.
    Pasta salad (in small amounts) is also good. Pasta with sauce, while it travels well, shouldn't be carried in plastic.

Do you have someplace to store your lunch so it stays cold?
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love love love low fat vanilla yogurt. You can put all sorts of things in it. Hummus is awesome too. It may take some getting used to,but there are lots of different flavors. I like the roasted red pepper and garlic.

• phoebediamond
    phoebediamond Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also a teacher and getting ready for the trials of, "What do i have for lunch each day?" dilemma. Try almond butter on sliced apples in one compartment. Some dried fruit in another. Hummus and veggies is a great idea, so is baba ganoush if you like eggplant.

I eat the Greek Gods brand of plain yogurt with fruit or some low fat / high fiber granola. Hard boiled eggs are also really easy to pack in small containers.

Have a good year.
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    You could probably fit a beer in the large compartment, a bunch of hershey's kisses in one, and some apple slices in the last one.

From one teacher to another, I know what teachers need. LOL

HAHAHAHA Mine would be a Margarita! But that is an AWESOME idea! Too bad I would never get away with that! lol
  • Dozrzz
    Options
    Nothing says you can't make extra at supper and pack those cubbies when you are done. Who cares if you just have a little bit. Might as well use it up if you have it.

Hummus is another great thing I love to have with some carrots or whatever your fav veggies are to eat!

Good luck and do research the net..there are lots of great ideas!

Great idea about leftovers--some meals can be made ahead with that purpose in mind. For example, grilled chicken can be tonight's main course and tomorrow's sandwich.

Fresh fruit and veggies are good. Some whole-wheat crackers and cheese is also good.
    Pasta salad (in small amounts) is also good. Pasta with sauce, while it travels well, shouldn't be carried in plastic.

Do you have someplace to store your lunch so it stays cold?

There is a fridge down the hall but I usually try not put keep my food in there if I don't have to. We have had too many instances of food "walking away." And the sad part is we think it is probably another teacher!
  • Dozrzz
    Options

I found that site the other day! Literally spent close to an hour going through the photos!!!
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First off, let me just bow to your lunch box. Secondly, I'm part Spanish, so forgive the bias. I would do fajitas: Grilled chicken, veggies, etc, add a couple of tortillas and brown rice, and you've got a seriously good meal, and you won't be starving by the time you get home. If you're looking for something cold, I'd do salad with all the trimmings, greek yogurt + fruit + granola. Hummus is good, if you like it.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that awesome lunch box? I, too, am a teacher and always struggled with different things to take besides the usual. I am also trying to avoid eating the extra lunches the kids get completely this year, so that lunch box would help to vary my ideas. I don't want to do Lean Cuisines or other frozen meals either anymore.

Believe it or not, I got it at Office Depot while I was shopping for post-its and things for my desk! It just looked interesting and I bought a special insulating sleeve that fits over it to keep things cooler longer. Very cool!

I too as a teacher struggle with this and thank you for bringing the topic up .... what is the lunch box called or the brand ... I looked on the office depot website and CANNOT find it .... :-(