Packing Lunches for Work

Options

Replies

• texaricangirasol
    texaricangirasol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    awesome ideas. I have turned the orowheat honey wheat sandwhich thins into pizzas, spinach or choice of veggies, pepperonnis or sausage crumbles, your choice of cheese slice, ligthly toasted, (haven't tried the microwave) and as long as you measure it, they can be under 300. I like using those sandwhich thins for sanwhiches (turkey, provolone or swiss and a lil bit of brown mustard).

Carrots are good with creamy dressings (ranch and blue chesse) You can also make a sauce with garlic, italian seasonings and cream cheese (use some milk and butter and melt together). The sauce is good with salads, potatos, eggs, sandwhiches, etc. and u only need a little bit of it.

if i am within my calories, i add a 90calorie rice crispie treat or a 90 calories fiber one brownie.

Thank you to all the teachers out there for all the great work and the amazing patience that you have!!! God Bless you all!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I pack my husband's lunch ALWAYS.
    Have done it for years.
    It's always the "same."
    ALWAYS sandwich, yogurt with fruit in it, chips, treat, drink (usually).

BUT...
    You can get a lot of variation into that.
    You can use different breads, meat, veggies in the sandwich, as well as vary the condiments used in it.
    I have continually upgraded the ingredients over the years, so that the meat is almost always home cooked, divided into sandwich shaped portions and placed in a baggie, in the freezer, ready to make into a sandwich.

The yogurt is scooped into a small container, is plain (greek), and I add fruit...and he likes cinnamon in it:)
    The chips can be varied, as can the treat.
    He likes GT Dave's Synergy as his drink.

He eats the yogurt mid-morning as a snack, and the rest at lunch. Since he's an Orthopedic RN, he can be quite lunch-challenged! He's gotta get that lunch eaten before interruption.

Knowing that this what he has in his lunch has really freed my mind of this "constant chore." Actually I'm not put off by it at all...but if I had to come up with some creative lunch all the time, I would probably lose heart.

He's never tired of his lunches, and I can see why...they are really great!
    BTW I am a die-hard Trader Joe's shopper....best ingredients!
    I should add that he is known at work for his lunches LOL which cracks me up because they are so simple:)
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I too work in an elementary school and find lunches difficult. Thank you to the person who posted the website with all the pictures..I have some great ideas!!!!
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this thread. I've got one day a week when I'm at Uni from 9-5 next year, so I'll be doing at least one packed lunch. This is full of great ideas.

I have me one of these babys: http://www.sistema.co.nz/pages/Sistema-Lunch/coloured_lunch/1735.htm aaand I was planning on doing things like falafels, pasta salads, cous cous or quinoa, with veggies, fruit and maybe some skinny popcorn or something!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry you have to deal with that (people swiping your lunch). Putting your name on the lunch box probably won't help, I take it.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Pack in some Fage. They make single 100 calorie serving containers. You could mix it with Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning to dip your veggies in. Good source of protein.
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    awesome lunchbox. i need to get one of those. i waste too much money on ziplocks for my chips and sides.

as for suggestions, i usually do sandwiches and chips / crackers. i alternate sandwiches by week : turkey, ham, roast beef, and fat free bologna. crackers are generally toasted veggie chips, ritz toasted chips, baked lays / doritos, and snyders pretzels. mid week, i usually have a morning star griller, which tastes as good as a cheeseburger. i also vary the bread / buns each day. you can buy several kinds, freeze them in the package, and thaw them individually each day.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of leftovers from the night before or fresh fruit/veggies with yogurt, etc. I cook extra proteins on the weekend, too, not just for lunches but for quicker dinners on weeknights. After going to the Y when I leave work at 6-6:30p I'm usually in a hurry for dinner.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My very very favourite lunch/snack to take is Greek style yoghurt with frozen mixed berries. *Homer drool*.
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Thanks!
  • 780ck
    780ck Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also take my lunch daily. I have almonds in my desk, I love tuna wraps done on lettuce, and unsweetend applesauce. Cheese strings are nice as they are premeasured. I often take leftovers from supper. Good luck!
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Also a teacher...another suggestion: I bought a miniture, portable crockpot for lunches. I plug it in and it is ready by lunch time. This way I don't have to wait in the microwave line. I bought it off of amazon for 19.99. Love it.
  • LeslieBoBeslie
    Options
    grapes, berries, apple slices, orange slices (all chilled,) peanut butter for dipping apples, carrots or celery. Almonds, cheese cubes and crackers. Hummus and pita chips/bread. Spinach and feta whole-grain pasta salad. Yogurt, tuna/chicken salad, chicken/turkey wraps (cut into bite-size pieces...)

I'm a nurse and rarely get a lunch so all I ever eat is quick snacks. Hope this helped a bit!
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do home therapy so I end up eating in the car while going from one place to the next so I pack stuff that doesn't need to be heated...

I like sandwiches on those whole wheat sandwich rounds - I usually use a bit of turkey (love the Oscar Mayer thin ) w/ some 2% american cheese and maybe some lettuce...

Also I like to add something crunchy, either a serving (or 1/2 sometimes) of light pringle chips, veggie straws, chip crisps, lentil chips, etc (since you can sit still you can take either guacamole or salsa for your lentil chips)

and a fruit - watermelon, strawberries, grapes, etc...

and a small dessert - I like those 90 cal fiber one brownies....sometimes even just a york patty or square of dark chocolate

since you can heat things up you could take some mini corndogs (morning star)

or salad w/ chicken, strawberries and almond slivers - light dressing...w/ crackers of some sort and fruit and dessert...
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bump....awesome thread!!

I like to cook things like chicken sausage, pulled chicken, pulled pork, turkey kielbasa, etc which will last for a few days then throw in a good veggie. I usually eat either a Powercrunch protein bar or Belvita cookies in the morning and then in the afternoon a fiber bar and or peanut butter.
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    *bump*

*Love the box*
  • AstridParties
    AstridParties Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    First off, let me just bow to your lunch box. Secondly, I'm part Spanish, so forgive the bias. I would do fajitas: Grilled chicken, veggies, etc, add a couple of tortillas and brown rice, and you've got a seriously good meal, and you won't be starving by the time you get home. If you're looking for something cold, I'd do salad with all the trimmings, greek yogurt + fruit + granola. Hummus is good, if you like it.

Isn't it just too cool! I was so excited! lol I love Spanish flavors too so that sounds yummy!