Anyone who has reached the age 50 mark?

Options
Hello,
I recently turned 50, and for health reasons need to trim down substantially. I have friends that have lost substantial amounts of weight, but all of them are quite a bit younger than me. Can it be done is my question? Looking for friends for mutual encouragement.

Replies

• kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It is more difficult to lose noe than when I was 30 that's for sure. MFP is a good way to go. You can eat anything, you just have to make good choices. It doesn't happen overnight either, My favorite feature is at the end fo the day It tells me what I can accomplish if I am consistent for 5 weeks. I have never miss a mark. Good luck. Add me but have an open dairy..it keeps you accountable.
  • elaine5181
    elaine5181 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been usig MVP for about 4 months and it has really worked for me. It is so easy to log your food intake. I agree with Kristi..... make your food diary open. It truly helps knowing others are viewing it. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi - 46 here. Trying to find support and motivation in my journey to lose some weight. Every little thing we consume effects us at this age. It is past time to start learning new habits and we are still young enough to improve our bodies. Add me as a friend. I'm here in the trenches with ya!
  • ktb1962
    ktb1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I will be 50 in September and I have definitely noticed a slow down in my metabolism and have to work harder at exercising to keep it off and what I eat. It's not as easy as it used to be. I will be more than happy to support and encourage - we all need the help of good friends in the same boat! :smile:
  • Aritiger
    Aritiger Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello,
    I recently turned 50, and for health reasons need to trim down substantially. I have friends that have lost substantial amounts of weight, but all of them are quite a bit younger than me. Can it be done is my question? Looking for friends for mutual encouragement.

50 here too. Im still trying. Havent, quite, given up hope. Only need to lose 20lbs but seems to be the hardest thing Ive done next to childbirth. lol
  • waygor
    waygor Posts: 17
    Options
    Will be 51 in October. Many years of bad habits, along with a bad back have put me in a bad place. Started an exercise plan 2 weeks ago and diet changes are hopefully putting me on the right track.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite 50 -- 46 -- and I know you can do it. I lost 100 lbs. in 6 months.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and have lost 111 pounds, I wanted to be down to "normal" weight by 60
    At 59 I went on the program. I am so happy I did.
    I feel better now than I did when I was 40
    Good luck to you,
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    I'll be 50 in December :noway: Of course we can do it!!!
  • damaya
    damaya Posts: 1
    Options
    I'll be 52 in a bit less than a month and I've lost 59 pounds in the last year. It took a while to find the right exercise program. And of course we have to regain lost muscle to crank up our metabolism, just aerobics isn't going to work. I was doing P90X, which is a great program, but just didn't kick up my metabolism enough. I crank up the protein, take Tonalin CLA (supports muscle growth and fat metabolism), and work out 6-7 days a week, with both ChaLEAN Extreme and Turbo Fire. They are great programs, and for me were the key to the lock. I have toned up greatly, see definite muscle results, and am happy with my weight loss.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and also losing for health reasons. Damn near lost my job due to high blood pressure. It CAN be done my friend. I'm already off the blood pressure meds and if you had told me six months ago that I would be out here jogging I would have laughed at you, but I am doing it and feeling a lot better, not to mention younger.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 51, and I'm having the best time of my life. I got serious right around Christmas time, and I'm loving finding my inner athlete again. This site has made all the difference with the support and motivation I've gotten from my MFP friends.. they are awesome.. and being able to track food, exercise and weight loss is so essential. You can do it! Just stick with it!
  • TiffersStr1
    TiffersStr1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I was 56 I lost 130 lbs. I gained back 65 of that. Turned 63 this year, and so far I've lost 46 lbs. I found this website and losing weight has never been easier.
  • Rick_SH
    Rick_SH Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and weeks away from 54. I've lost 80 lbs in the last 4 years through weight watchers, MFP and running with Team in Training. I do Zumba now and work out at a gym 3-4 times a week. Can it be done? Heck Yea!! Get moving my friend. Get help through accountability partners (like MFP friends) and learn about good foods to eat and portion control. You'll be surprised how great you will feel with every pound lost.
  • TXPaul
    TXPaul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible. I'm 49 and recovering from some major health issues. I've managed to loose 20 pounds so far and I'm exercising for the first time in a decade. I feel better than I have in a long time. You have found the right place with MFP. It will help you keep track of your progress and offers a great support mechanism.
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 in June and in 108 days I lost 42 pounds. So yes, you can lose weight at our age.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in February. MFP is a great starting place, along with exercise and trying to eat healthier or smaller portions, and yes it can be done. It's taking me a while to figure this out myself but I'm finally getting into a groove and see some progress. Friend requests are more than welcome. My friends on MFP have helped me tremendously and we can help you too :D
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also newly 50 and I'm new here. I can use all the friends and support I can get! My goal over the last couple years was to lose 50 lbs by my 50th birthday. I lost 25, but regained 15 after an accident. So now my goal is to lose 50 during my 50th year. I have to believe it is possible, because not possible is not an option.
  • cruisinskier
    cruisinskier Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well I will be 50 next year so not quite there yet. I joined MFP in May of this year and with a combination of monitoring closely what I eat, drinking lots of water, and hitting the gym 4-5 times each week (with a 500+ calorie burn each trip), I am down 24 lbs in under 3 months. So to answer your question, you can absolutely lose the weight if you really want to...it is all about focus and motivation. Having friends to push you along is great but it is the self-motivation that will determine the results.

I will also caution you to make sure you eat enough. My inital loss was due to lowering my caloies but I went below what my body needed on a daily basis which led to a plateau. It is only after I increased my calories some that I started to lose again. Good luck and feel free to add me if you wish.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    gosh 50 was a long time ago. im 65 in november.