Anyone who has reached the age 50 mark?

Options

Replies

• popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can also add me as a friend. I'll be 50 in October. I'm losing very slowly, but I believe that is because I've messed up my metabolism so much with dieting my entire adult life - combined with the dreaded menopause. (Metabo-pause, I'm calling it).

I'm just upping my exercise and upping my calories a bit to try and find "the zone". But, with all that, I've lost 24 pounds since december. So, call me a turtle, but it is coming off!
  • Sptwoman
    Sptwoman Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It is definitely possible to do it. I'm 58 years old. Diet and exercise are making a difference.
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    I am 54, and this site has helped me loss weight. I lost 24 lbs., in a matter of weeks; however, I have stopped exercising for no good reason. :sad: The fact that there are people on here that are determined to loss weight is a factor in why I stay here. :happy: I am determined to walk/jog and ride my bike once I get back on track again. :bigsmile: I will add you as a friend. :flowerforyou:

Shane
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Turned 50 last year.

It can be done - may take a little longer, but hey, we've learned how to do that patience thing, right?
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Gosh I'm 70 years old and feel it is never to old to try and be healthier. It is not easy to lose weight as you get older, but it can be done. Since Aug. 2011 I've lost 22 lbs, not a whole bunch, but enough to make me happy. I am aiming for 10 more lbs and then I will be where I want to be. I've drastically changed my eating habits and lifestyle. Hopefully this will make me live a lot longer. Wishing you all good luck in your weight loss journeys.:flowerforyou:
  • AFreeheart
    AFreeheart Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 54. 55 in November.
    I've lost 65 lbs in 6 months. I log all my food and calorie containing liquids on mfp. Walking is my main exercise..also do yoga.
    Going to start strength training day after tomorrow,
    Anyone can ''friend'' me.
  • JohnK580
    JohnK580 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow! A ton of encouragement. I had just not been around any of my peers that had really lost weight in earnest. Everything shared here has been extremely helpful. I am very grateful.
  • mxtodsi
    mxtodsi Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm 65. Thought I could go about living my life as I always did, and that means eating, but it all caught up with me. I'm here because I want to live.
  • Nikki_Nx
    Nikki_Nx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 next year. I want to lose a significant amount of weight before then....well go down at least 3 dress sizes if poss.
    I lost 35lbs last year with MFP so I know it can be done!
    I want to be what I consider my 'normal' dress size which was 12-14.
    I don't wanna be stick thin....I did that with the Nutrisystem diet and lost my shape...no bottom....it disappeared! LOL ;o)
  • housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ive seen quite a few people on their 50s and up. I'm 66. Lost 50lb of the nearly 100 lb needed in my 50's gained some of it back after an injury sidelined me and now have lost over 20 lb and working on the rest. YOu can do it. Just might have to make more adjustments to diet and workouts than you used to.
  • hanga10
    hanga10 Posts: 25
    Options
    Absolutely it can be done any change in our eating healthy foods compared to the stuff we have been can only be good
    good luck in your quest
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    56 here...Lost 80 pounds before and after MFP. You can do it and you can add me if you like.
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    For me: 63 years old, lost 45 #'s so far, primarily diet, not a lot of exercise.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Hi John,

It can be done. Seems to take a bit longer than in your 40's but you can do it.

Ann
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just turned 49 and in the best shape of my life thanks to switching my eating habits from high fiber breads,cereals, etc and a ton of fruit to more primal bluerprint. I thought I was doing everything right before- but I had high cholesterol at 130lbs. I've always worked out 4-5x's a week.
    Now I eat lots of protein, veggies, a little fruit, some dairy (almond or coconut milk- unsweetened, plain greek yogurt-higher fat, cottage cheese) and once in awhile a slice of Ezekial bread/english muffin, a little sweet potato or quinoa. I keep protein high (around 100) to build muscle and my carbs under 100 to lose fat. I also keep sugar under 30/day and you have to eat a lot of healthy fats (avacados, nuts, almond butter, olive/coconut oil) on this eating lifestyle- I love it:smile:
    "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me"Phillipians 4:13 (even eat right and exercise)
  • ianh5979
    ianh5979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and have lost 42 pounds in 400 days i have been on here
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both over 50. I have lost almost 60 lbs and he has lost 100. It can be done.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    After almost 40 years of packing a lot ef excess poundage around I finally decided, enough is enough, have lost 53 lbs so far, around 15 to go. 57 years of age. 8 months in.
  • rrtnrn
    rrtnrn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I turned 51 in June. It's taken me about 7 months just to lose 20 lbs. It comes off way more slowly than it used to, but it has been worth it. Add me as a friend and good luck!!!
  • deanssad
    Options
    52 here and been on the diet yo-yo my entire life. Big piece I am realizing after a week is the food diary! MFP your awesome, and with the support of the site I am on my way!