Raspberry Ketone. Only If You Tried it!

Options

Replies

• rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    A good scientific study always puts things into perspective ;)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    That would be very kind, thank you.

Sweet, here you go :)

These are the two studies cited by those marketing raspberry ketones. I’m not sure if you’ll be able to read all of them, since I’m logged into them through my university, but the abstracts should be there: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320505001281
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320505001281

First of all, neither study was controlled for bias and both examined the effect of raspberry ketones on weight GAIN over time on a very high fat diet rather than on weight loss. There’s a problem right there- those looking to LOSE weight are not going to be consuming these very high fat diets which alters how the body processes fats.

Another problem is that only the rats were fed EXTREMELY high doses of the raspberry ketones did have lower levels of weight gain and less fatty livers than those that were not. These doses were over 200x higher than what humans consume in their supplements! And that’s for a tiny rat! Those that were fed doses any lower showed no change in weight gain.

Also, a rats metabolism is far different than that of a humans. Rats consume and rapidly use large amounts of carbohydrates to survive. Humans are fat burners, meaning we don’t need as many carbs as constantly since our body can easily store energy in the form of fat. Therefore, something that prevents obesity and activates lipid metabolism in rodents will have different effects in humans, unless those rodents’ metabolisms have been altered to mimic those of humans.

Finally, there are no studies on humans and no detailed safety data. The manufacturers are the ones that are responsible for making their product safe, so supplements don’t need to be approved by the FDA before they go on the market. Probably not a good idea to take something for which there have been zero studies on humans.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    That would be very kind, thank you.

Sweet, here you go :)

These are the two studies cited by those marketing raspberry ketones. I’m not sure if you’ll be able to read all of them, since I’m logged into them through my university, but the abstracts should be there: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320505001281
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320505001281

First of all, neither study was controlled for bias and both examined the effect of raspberry ketones on weight GAIN over time on a very high fat diet rather than on weight loss. There’s a problem right there- those looking to LOSE weight are not going to be consuming these very high fat diets which alters how the body processes fats.

Another problem is that only the rats were fed EXTREMELY high doses of the raspberry ketones did have lower levels of weight gain and less fatty livers than those that were not. These doses were over 200x higher than what humans consume in their supplements! And that’s for a tiny rat! Those that were fed doses any lower showed no change in weight gain.

Also, a rats metabolism is far different than that of a humans. Rats consume and rapidly use large amounts of carbohydrates to survive. Humans are fat burners, meaning we don’t need as many carbs as constantly since our body can easily store energy in the form of fat. Therefore, something that prevents obesity and activates lipid metabolism in rodents will have different effects in humans, unless those rodents’ metabolisms have been altered to mimic those of humans.

Finally, there are no studies on humans and no detailed safety data. The manufacturers are the ones that are responsible for making their product safe, so supplements don’t need to be approved by the FDA before they go on the market. Probably not a good idea to take something for which there have been zero studies on humans.

^ This is exactly why you should never plug your ears and refuse to listen to reason. ^ This person isn't taking Raspberry Keytones because she knows that they are basically useless, or at the very least, they haven't been proven to do jack scheeit on humans. Nicely done.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I like the chia.
    It's a complete protein, good fibre and omega-3.

When I tell people at work I take it, I get the "you're not fat... why do you take it?"

I took L-Carnitine for about a month.
    Didn't make much difference.
    One thing that seems to help me is CLA.
    I take it, and a few other supplements every day.
    Mostly to help with nitrogen balance to help build/maintain muscle.

A few customers said they lost with ketones.
    A coworker and I took it a month... No change. Good thing we got a great discount on them.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Guys she only wants to hear from people who have taken it. You naysayers can just say nay.

OP: Since you're not getting any helpful answers and since I love to help people, I dug up this graph that should summarize the following:

1) Efficacy of Raspberry Keytones on both rats and humans.
    2) Efficacy of 7-Keto and other Dr. Oz based supplements.
    3) General reliability of Dr. Oz.

Please see attached research:

23tpd3c.png

nxkih3jpg.gif
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What is your experience with Raspberry Ketone? What dose, how much daily? Reaction? Results? Ideas, suggestions?

I purchased the L-carnitine, 500mg and raspberry ketone, 100 mg. from GNC. Since empty stomach is suggested, I will take 1 in a.m. before exercising, and 1 mid afternoon. I need to see if they effect me in any way. I also started taking 1 tablespoon of chia seeds twice daily. I am hoping for some results and appitite control to help me in my daily process learning to eat healthy.

To match the study that showed the efficacy of raspberry ketones, I'd shoot for around 4500 pills per 100lbs, based on the 100mg pill
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What is your experience with Raspberry Ketone? What dose, how much daily? Reaction? Results? Ideas, suggestions?

I purchased the L-carnitine, 500mg and raspberry ketone, 100 mg. from GNC. Since empty stomach is suggested, I will take 1 in a.m. before exercising, and 1 mid afternoon. I need to see if they effect me in any way. I also started taking 1 tablespoon of chia seeds twice daily. I am hoping for some results and appitite control to help me in my daily process learning to eat healthy.

To match the study that showed the efficacy of raspberry ketones, I'd shoot for around 4500 pills per 100lbs, based on the 100mg pill

In other words, take 1 Poliquin of pills.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for responding. I learned more than I expected...about more than I expected. By all means, carry on.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for responding. I learned more than I expected...about more than I expected. By all means, carry on.

Thanks for being honest and open to hearing all the information on these :)
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options

1. I have tried raspberry ketones in gummies. My colleague has a jar that I keep...er...borrowing from and I can absolutely vouch for the fact that the gummies are delicious. I didn't take them for weight loss, and didn't notice any.
    2. Some of my perfumes have raspberry ketones. I don't like it. My body chemistry does not do fruity odors well. I stick to spice/citrus/woods.
  • jjl0412
    Options
    :smile:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If you still believe that you can take a pill to aid in your weight loss, you're doing it wrong. It might help you in your head (placebo effect) but that's about it.
    Everybody wants to lose weight quick and easily. Companies want your money quick and easily. They conjure up some gimmick and pay celebrities/talk shows to discuss how beneficial it might be. Schmucks buy into it and the big companies win.

Unless you like giving away money, it's a waste. There is NO magical solution to helping you drop weight except for watching what you eat and exercising.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have been taking L-carnitine, 500mg and raspberry ketone, 100 mg. since the 5th. While I lost from 261 to 259 from 7/7 to 8/5, I have lost to 256 in 4 days. I have changed nothing. I do notice I pee more frequently. All I know is tomorrow is my Check In Date and I can finally smile again. :happy:

So, even tho I quit checking this post very soon after asking for advice, thanks to all the 'positive feedback', I thought I would share what seems to be aiding my progress to some extent. I do not consider theses suppliments 'worthless'. That's all, out here.

whitebreadloaf.jpg
  • CarpeDiem48
    Options
    I took Raspberry Ketones for a month and did not notice a weight loss. On the plus side, I did not gain any weight either! CarpeDiem48
  • jjl0412
    Options
    I have been taking L-carnitine, 500mg and raspberry ketone, 100 mg. since the 5th. While I lost from 261 to 259 from 7/7 to 8/5, I have lost to 256 in 4 days. I have changed nothing. I do notice I pee more frequently. All I know is tomorrow is my Check In Date and I can finally smile again. :happy:

So, even tho I quit checking this post very soon after asking for advice, thanks to all the 'positive feedback', I thought I would share what seems to be aiding my progress to some extent. I do not consider theses suppliments 'worthless'. That's all, out here.

whitebreadloaf.jpg

Thanks!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Ive been trying them out. Cant remember the brand off the top of my head, but they also have green tea. Cant say they've made any noticeable difference more than my diet and exercise changes... at both the recommended dose and double the dose.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If Dr Oz says they work it must be so!
  • jjl0412
    Options
    If you still believe that you can take a pill to aid in your weight loss, you're doing it wrong. It might help you in your head (placebo effect) but that's about it.
    Everybody wants to lose weight quick and easily. Companies want your money quick and easily. They conjure up some gimmick and pay celebrities/talk shows to discuss how beneficial it might be. Schmucks buy into it and the big companies win.

Unless you like giving away money, it's a waste. There is NO magical solution to helping you drop weight except for watching what you eat and exercising.

(Sigh).
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on a long plateau, then gained about 10 lbs. I started taking 200mg of Raspberry Ketones a month ago. I also started a weight training program and am back to a mostly low carb way of eating. I'll never be able to tell if one of these things has aided in my weight loss, or all of them, but I have dropped 8 of those10 lbs.

Just out of curiosity, I bought 500mg tabs of RK here while I'm in Canada. I'll be trying this higher dosage starting in a few days.

I don't seem to have any side effects other than the first few days I did have raspberry burps, but those seem to have gone away.
  • jjl0412
    Options
    I was stuck on a long plateau, then gained about 10 lbs. I started taking 200mg of Raspberry Ketones a month ago. I also started a weight training program and am back to a mostly low carb way of eating. I'll never be able to tell if one of these things has aided in my weight loss, or all of them, but I have dropped 8 of those10 lbs.

Just out of curiosity, I bought 500mg tabs of RK here while I'm in Canada. I'll be trying this higher dosage starting in a few days.

I don't seem to have any side effects other than the first few days I did have raspberry burps, but those seem to have gone away.

Congrats on the weight loss. If you would like to send me an e-mail with your experience after a couple weeks, please feel free to do so. Posting here is pointless.