BRO Science...

Options
124»

Replies

• ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that this IS a rather clean diet. By "garbage" I generally mean processed garbage like chicken fingers, frozen pizza, candy, cheap ice cream, soda, etc etc etc.

Eggs, bread, ham, pasta, any vegetable, etc., (Basically everything in M. Phelp's diet) IS good nutritious foods. Sure, it can be fried, but if he's using olive oil, he's getting good fats. More fats than a endurance athlete will want, but swimming is more of a sprint-type sport where big muscles and glycogen stores are more important than long-term stamina.

I'll just reiterate: That diet, aside from the energy drinks and pizza, is a good diet.

Can you also quantify your original post?

Are you questioning athletes who would consume a diet that is 100% junk? 50% junk? 20% junk? I think this is an important distinction.

Yea that is something I asked earlier as well to the other person. Junk food is not much more the food itself, but what the food contains or lacks of based on your diet needs.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    "People believe that you can lose weight and get ripped while eating any garbage you feel like, as long as you follow a specific calorie macro.

Though I do not disagree with this way of thinking, I would love to see someone win a marathon while sticking to such a diet.

Any takers for this challenge? "

That is what he said. He didn't say anything about coming up with a junk food plan. He didn't say exactly what he considers "Garbage" and then he compared body composition to performance. They are two different things.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that this IS a rather clean diet. By "garbage" I generally mean processed garbage like chicken fingers, frozen pizza, candy, cheap ice cream, soda, etc etc etc.

Eggs, bread, ham, pasta, any vegetable, etc., (Basically everything in M. Phelp's diet) IS good nutritious foods. Sure, it can be fried, but if he's using olive oil, he's getting good fats. More fats than a endurance athlete will want, but swimming is more of a sprint-type sport where big muscles and glycogen stores are more important than long-term stamina.

I'll just reiterate: That diet, aside from the energy drinks and pizza, is a good diet.

Can you also quantify your original post?

Are you questioning athletes who would consume a diet that is 100% junk? 50% junk? 20% junk? I think this is an important distinction.

From my understanding of "BRO" science, and from some people I've met on here, there seems to be an understanding that you can get into amazing shape by eating 100% junk food. So, I would like to see someone perform at the top of their class while eating garbage.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    From my understanding of "BRO" science, and from some people I've met on here, there seems to be an understanding that you can get into amazing shape by eating 100% junk food. So, I would like to see someone perform at the top of their class while eating garbage.

Interesting. I've never heard anyone claim this.

I would say that your body only recognizes the nutrient composition of foods rather than the name of the foods, and from a strictly body compositional standpoint, clean vs unclean, junk vs whole, isn't going to matter provided micro and macronutrient sufficiency is being bet . The question becomes whether or not you could become nutrient sufficient eating only crap, and could you sustain it from an adherence/satiety standpoint. I am also assuming a physically active individual eating appropriate caloric intake for his or her goal.

EDIT: And I suppose you could make the case for toxicity but you'd have to provide evidence that these specific processed foods contain something that, given a high enough dosage, can cause issues.
  • kiachu
    Options
    Okay I missed that later post.

But what exactly is wrong with chicken fingers? *L* nom nom....

My Step brother is a MMA fighter and eats just about any crap he wants to, and consumes massive quantities of it and that 20 some odd years I've know him has consistently looked ripped to shreds. *L*
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    "People believe that you can lose weight and get ripped while eating any garbage you feel like, as long as you follow a specific calorie macro.

Though I do not disagree with this way of thinking, I would love to see someone win a marathon while sticking to such a diet.

Any takers for this challenge? "

That is what he said. He didn't say anything about coming up with a junk food plan. He didn't say exactly what he considers "Garbage" and then he compared body composition to performance. They are two different things.

You guys are right that he did not completely specify exactly but I knew where he was coming from. Junk food at times is a generalized term with all foods outside, or people seem to only generalize this term with foods that are absolutely garbage such as Cotton Candy, chocolate bars, a wrap full of sauce and like 2 or 3 chunks of meat, french fries (even though I think that natural cut french fries straight from a potato are not really that bad.)

There are places outside of your home that you can still get something somewhat healthy. If you go to subway for example you can basically order a nice flat bread, chicken breast, and load it up with a bunch of veggies olive oil vinegar, and something nice. In my book you met the fiber requirement, and added some healthy nutrients to that flat bread wrap. In some other places you don't have that luxury because you will be served a portion that has no fiber, no veggies, something like a sauce with more calories than the item itself no nutrients just fats and etc. No real amount of potassium, and to top it off you will be served a whooping amount of sodium that closely resembles what one should take in a whole day. He is aiming at that type of food more likely.
  • kiachu
    Options
    I've also never heard of anyone purposely trying to eat a 100% junk food diet while working on body composition. Bro Science would be that you CAN'T eat junk food to achieve that look. There are so many variables. Metabolism, energy expenditure, current lean mass, what type of junk food your eating, how much of junk food are you eating. even when your eating it could affect that. If you drink a can of soda before a huge day at the gym, and then a pint of ice cream at night to refill your glycogen stores then eating chicken fingers the rest of your meals, and its all fitting your calories , macro, timing, requirements well its possible.