Olympics - Womans Super Heavy weight lifting

Options
So I've been watching the Olympics, like a lot of the world, and watching these athletes have really motivate me in my everyday workouts. Well, today I was watching and they had the woman's super heavy weight division for weight lifting on. The had one of the American hopefuls, and she's over 350 lbs, and lets just say, that isn't all muscle. They talked about how most people wouldn't consider her an athlete, but she's competing in the Olympics.

So what do you think, do you consider her in athlete, and would you allow yourself to get that big and look like she does, if you got a chance to compete in the Olympics. I am really torn on this one, competing in the Olympics would be crazy, and an honor, but not sure allowing myself to get to such an unhealthy weight would be smart.

Here is a pic to show you what I am talking about.

hollymangold_blog.jpg

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that she had to get that heavy to be able to lift that much? Like the fat is helping her lift?
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    AlotOfSweatAndPain Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that she had to get that heavy to be able to lift that much? Like the fat is helping her lift?

LOL
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I consider her an athlete a lot more than those sitting on horses.

( Now I am about to get hate mail from those who love horses)

She lift a shot load of weight and it does not happen without a lot of training.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    I'm not sure if she got that big to lift that much or not, but I am sure it had something to do with it, since most of the woman in the super heavy weight are pretty big, although I believe she is one of the bigger ones. I also think they said she;s the biggest American athlete in London. It's more of a general question. Would you allow yourself to get that big to compete, if that was your only option.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    I consider her an athlete a lot more than those sitting on horses.

( Now I am about to get hate mail from those who love horses)

She lift a shot load of weight and it does not happen without a lot of training.
    Haha, I would agree with that, and I do think she's in athlete. I put her in the class with a lot of the competitors in the world strongest man competitions. A good portion of them are massive, with big stomachs, athletes yes, but I'm sure it takes a toll on their bodies, and not sure I would do that to myself.
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    Options
    Most power lifters are overweight. They have to be in a calorie surplus to build muscle. She most likely has a ****load of muscle under all that fat so hell yeah she's an athlete.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    Most power lifters are overweight. They have to be in a calorie surplus to build muscle. She most likely has a ****load of muscle under all that fat so hell yeah she's an athlete.
    But would you do that to yourself, if it meant competing in the Olympics.
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    Options

If it was a dream of mine to be a power lifter. Yes.
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i definitely think she's an athlete because she can lift tons of weight, but i wonder if it was really necessary to gain ALL that weight to be able to lift what she does
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    i definitely think she's an athlete because she can lift tons of weight, but i wonder if it was really necessary to gain ALL that weight to be able to lift what she does
    I've been watching more, and she definitely seems a lot bigger than the majority of the other athletes.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    She has always been heavy, she just happens to also be VERY talented and EXTREMELY strong. She competes in the OLYMPICS in a sport. Consider her whatever you want; she IS an athlete. Like, the definition of one.

Is she as healthy as she could be? Probably not. Is she better equipped for survival than, say, You or I? Almost unquestionably.
  • LiftHuff
    Options

Just a note of finer points here: Powerlifting and Olympic lifting are two totally different things. Technique is at least as important as raw power in Oly lifts; they are far more contingent on skill than the Big 3 powerlifting lifts. Most powerlifters DO fall into a bf% that most people would consider "overweight." Oly lifters not always so. She is an anomaly, even in this sport.
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    Options
    I've been watching more, and she definitely seems a lot bigger than the majority of the other athletes.

Bigger and stronger
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    She has always been heavy, she just happens to also be VERY talented and EXTREMELY strong. She competes in the OLYMPICS in a sport. Consider her whatever you want; she IS an athlete. Like, the definition of one.

Is she as healthy as she could be? Probably not. Is she better equipped for survival than, say, You or I? Almost unquestionably.
    Perfectly said, I agree with that assessment. Although it wouldn't be my goal to get that heavy, I am jealous of her strength.
  • wolfehound22
    Options

Just a note of finer points here: Powerlifting and Olympic lifting are two totally different things. Technique is at least as important as raw power in Oly lifts; they are far more contingent on skill than the Big 3 powerlifting lifts. Most powerlifters DO fall into a bf% that most people would consider "overweight." Oly lifters not always so. She is an anomaly, even in this sport.
    Ya, and watching more of the competitions, the other athletes seem to be a little healthier weight, I guess I was just a little thrown off when I seen her. But I will say one thing, regardless of her weight and size, I respect her for going out there and working hard, and not simply using her size as an excuse to sit on the couch,
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    To repeat: she didn't get that big training for the Olympics. She has always been a big girl. Her brother is a pro football player; her family are all predisposed to being big and strong. She played football in high school. She has only been Oly lifting competitively for like 3 years or something crazy like that. It's a pretty amazing story, actually.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    To repeat: she didn't get that big training for the Olympics. She has always been a big girl. Her brother is a pro football player; her family are all predisposed to being big and strong. She played football in high school. She has only been Oly lifting competitively for like 3 years or something crazy like that. It's a pretty amazing story, actually.
    Ya I know I watched her story, it is very impressive. It was more of a general question. Would you get that big, regardless if you were already bigger or not.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    She's an athlete without a doubt -- she just ain't healthy.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    1. (Individual Sports & Recreations / Athletics (Track & Field)) a person trained to compete in sports or exercises involving physical strength, speed, or endurance
    2. a person who has a natural aptitude for physical activities
    I would say she wouldn't fall into number 2 but I guess she would be part of num 1.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    She actually did an episode of MTV True life a couple years ago- she wants to cut some weight but has some difficulty staying away from food traps- like many of us. I think I saw her working part time at some sort of southern food restaurant, and she can't help herself with cornbread. (Details are fuzzy in my memory about the restaurant.) I think it kind of makes her likeable- she's a regular person struggling with her weight AND an Olympic athlete.

Anyway, of course she's an athlete! She may not have a body type I would choose, but she trains hard, has incredible talent, and is obviously at the top of her game for her sport.

I think it's crazy to criticize any of the olympic athletes as "not athletes". They all work hard, beat out a lot of people to get where they are, and are talented. Ping pong players and equestrians and gymnasts and weightlifters and beach volleyball players alike.