Olympics - Womans Super Heavy weight lifting

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I consider her an athlete a lot more than those sitting on horses.

( Now I am about to get hate mail from those who love horses)

She lift a shot load of weight and it does not happen without a lot of training.

Not hate mail but you actually have to be a certain level of fitness to compete in equestrian sports, probably more than for shooting and some other events. You also need a *kitten* load of training for both.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    please. sumo wrestlers and even many greco roman wrestlers are at least that big. male powerlifters get significantly bigger. please do not trip because a woman is doing the same things men have been doing competitively for a hundred years or more.
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    413050_M13.jpg

(on right) "Holley Mangold is nearly 340 pounds -- and proud of it.

The U.S. super heavyweight Olympic lifter thinks she looks fabulous and can't understand why others don't always feel good about themselves."

There's no question in my mind she's an athlete. We don't question that the males are athletes do we? (I'm not trying to make it a gender thing). I wouldn't want to get that big but I don't have her confidence, olympic dreams or strength :)

784945-13378190-640-360.jpg

I think if the men had (bigger) boobs they'd look just as big hehe
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that she had to get that heavy to be able to lift that much? Like the fat is helping her lift?

Not the fat specifically, but extra body weight in general does help a lift. It's the reason why there are weight categories in sports such as this.

To the OP:
    Yes, I'd consider her an athlete. She may not be in peak physical condition or an ideal weight, but for her sport she is no doubt extremely good, and has put a lot of time, effort, training into what she does.

I personally would not want to get that big for my sport. As someone else before me mentioned a lot of powerlifters are overweight. I want to compete in powerlifting. I don't mind getting a little bit bigger than my ideal in preparation for a comp if necessary (like competing at the end of a bulk) but I wouldn't stay like that, and I wouldn't go to an extreme. It's just not what I want.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options

She lift a shot load of weight and it does not happen without a lot of training.

Bah, I used to ride horses and believe me being able to lift 350lbs would have been very handy when lifting hay bales around the yard as well as convincing stubborn horses to 'move on'

I am smiling at your reply :laugh: :drinker:

I don't think an athlete has to look a certain way to be an athlete. She may be a big girl but she is a big girl who lifts and whose peers consider her an athlete to the extent that she is picked to represent her country at the highest level - good enough for me.

Victoria Pembleton is considered "small" for a professional cyclist
    Svetlana Boguinskaia and Svetlana Khorkina are considered as "too tall" to be professional gymnasts
    Jessica Ennis was recently called "fat" by an athletic society

You're asking the wrong question if you are wondering if someone should be allowed to do an activity if they are a certain size. What you should wonder is 'How well are they going to do at this?'
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    She was on the show "true life: I'm a big girl". What I got from the show was that she had always struggled with her weight, even before she was lifting.

Edit: Yes, I consider her an athlete. I don't think body composition is part of the definition for an athlete. She competes in a sport year round.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I saw her today..... strong, yes... healthy, I'm thinking no....

and yeah, I'd rather be 200lbs less and not be able to lift as much.,..
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    To those saying I;m only asking this question because she is a girl, are mistaken. I would of asked the same thing if it was the guys I had seen. I suppose I asked the wrong question, as I do believe she is an athlete, I was more wondering if anyone felt they would allow themselves to get to that size in order to compete in the Olympics. Again, I think the fact she is competing is awesome, just not sure I would get that big just to be a power lifter, seems unhealthy regardless on how much she can lift, but to each there own, I'm not bashing anyone, just an observation.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Of course she's an athlete. She's a fricking olympian, and she lifts incredible amounts of weight. She's an athlete.

For an olympic lifter, it's all about bulking and strength gains, not about body building. She's probably this big because she's been bulking for a long time in preparation for the olympics. Much of the weight gain during bulking is muscle, but a lot of it is fat. When you cut you lose some muscle; if your primary goal was to build as much muscle as possible to lift the biggest thing you can at the most important competition of your life, you likely wouldn't do any cuts either.
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    To those saying I;m only asking this question because she is a girl, are mistaken. I would of asked the same thing if it was the guys I had seen. I suppose I asked the wrong question, as I do believe she is an athlete, I was more wondering if anyone felt they would allow themselves to get to that size in order to compete in the Olympics.

<<snip>>

Yes, in a heartbeat. My children, especially my son, would burst with pride and it would be wonderful to do it for him. He wants to compete for the UK or Ireland in sprinting when he is older. According to him, he just has to make up his mind which one :)
    >He is only 10<

:)
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    To those saying I;m only asking this question because she is a girl, are mistaken. I would of asked the same thing if it was the guys I had seen. I suppose I asked the wrong question, as I do believe she is an athlete, I was more wondering if anyone felt they would allow themselves to get to that size in order to compete in the Olympics. Again, I think the fact she is competing is awesome, just not sure I would get that big just to be a power lifter, seems unhealthy regardless on how much she can lift, but to each there own, I'm not bashing anyone, just an observation.

Well, I probably wouldn't do it, no. But I think it's a very valid choice. I mean, she's an olympian.
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    She did not "become" that size to compete in the olympics. She was always large and lifting is a relatively new activity for her. I don't think I would purposely become that size to compete, but that's because it doesn't even sound fun to me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

If I had the talent to get me to the Olympics I probably would get that big if it helped me get an olympic medal. Then I would sign up for the next season of Biggest loser after the Olympics and go for 250K, and kick *kitten* at it. But I don't have the talent, so it's not really an option for me.
  • CelestinoZ
    Options
    I guess she is an athelete accoring to the dictionary definition, but I consider the women who competed in the 48kg(106 lb) division more of atheletes. Some of the women in that division were able to lift over 90 kilograms on the clean and jerk, the person who won the gold medal in that division did 114 kilograms(about 250 lbs) on the clean and jerk. So don't think that to be a powerlifter you have to get all fat, because that is just not the case.
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have to say I thought the same thing today .. Strong yes , healthy no.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    1. (Individual Sports & Recreations / Athletics (Track & Field)) a person trained to compete in sports or exercises involving physical strength, speed, or endurance
    2. a person who has a natural aptitude for physical activities
    I would say she wouldn't fall into number 2 but I guess she would be part of num 1.

Why on earth would you say that she doesn't fit into 2? She clearly has a natural aptitude for physical activities like throwing a ****ton of weight over her head and holding it there.

I'd say she's more of an athelete and much better an athlete than the whole of MFP. And certainly more of an athlete than the guys here who are just here to build pretty muscles and abs that are visible. I find that to be an admirable activity too, and I greatly appreciate Ryan Gosling and Matt Damon's excellence at that endeavor, but it doens't make it athletic. This woman is an athlete, whether you would *kitten* to her image or not.

This thread makes me feel stabby. I really frelling sick of accomplished women being denigrated or complimented based on their physical appearance rather than their accomplishments. All fricking Olympics long, I'm hearing male sports reporters comment on frizzy hair, *kitten* on twitter comment on lightweight women weightlifters, MFP threads babbling about the broad shoulders of women swimmers. And now this. We don't hear about the body fat percentage of NFL linemen. Nor about that one swimmer's nose. Or that some male snowboarder really needs a haircut. I mean WTF?

Idiot Men (not all of em, but apparently the most vocal ones): It does not matter if you find a woman's body attractive or not. She is an accomplished amazing women. Shut the eff up already.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that she had to get that heavy to be able to lift that much? Like the fat is helping her lift?

It is. Food is extremely anabolic. Studies have shown sumo wrestlers have more LBM than top level professional bodybuilders. If she dieted down to reasonable bodyfat levels, she would lose significant strength and lean mass.

That is why lean record holding powerlifters are so rare and impressive.

And she is an athlete. If you have ever tried to perform an olympic lift, you'd realize how much coordination and athletic ability is required.
  • LondonEliza
    Options

<<snip>>

I'd say she's more of an athelete and much better an athlete than the whole of MFP. And certainly more of an athlete than the guys here who are just here to build pretty muscles and abs that are visible. I find that to be an admirable activity too, and I greatly appreciate Ryan Gosling and Matt Damon's excellence at that endeavor, but it doens't make it athletic. This woman is an athlete, whether you would *kitten* to her image or not.

This thread makes me feel stabby. I really frelling sick of accomplished women being denigrated or complimented based on their physical appearance rather than their accomplishments. All fricking Olympics long, I'm hearing male sports reporters comment on frizzy hair, *kitten* on twitter comment on lightweight women weightlifters, MFP threads babbling about the broad shoulders of women swimmers. And now this. We don't hear about the body fat percentage of NFL linemen. Nor about that one swimmer's nose. Or that some male snowboarder really needs a haircut. I mean WTF?

Idiot Men (not all of em, but apparently the most vocal ones): It does not matter if you find a woman's body attractive or not. She is an accomplished amazing women. Shut the eff up already.

Erm.... I think you are being a bit harsh to the contributors to this thread. If you read through it, there is a lot of support and admiration for this woman present mixed with some concern about whether her weight is a healthy one or not. Apparently, she has admitted herself, that her weight is not all that she would want it to be but she is happy with herself.

Perhaps you have seen obsession with 'perfect' women on other threads on MPF but it is not on this one.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    1. (Individual Sports & Recreations / Athletics (Track & Field)) a person trained to compete in sports or exercises involving physical strength, speed, or endurance
    2. a person who has a natural aptitude for physical activities
    I would say she wouldn't fall into number 2 but I guess she would be part of num 1.

Why on earth would you say that she doesn't fit into 2? She clearly has a natural aptitude for physical activities like throwing a ****ton of weight over her head and holding it there.

I meant not disrespect, and actually think she is an athlete, I was more wondering if people would get that big to compete in the Olympics.

To me even if she is athletic, I still feel its unhealthy, regardless of sport or gender. I feel the same way about NFL linemen, especially the ones that have their stomachs hanging over their pants. Just unhealthy regardless how much u can lift.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Have you ever ridden a horse outside of sitting on a pony? It takes serious muscle. Legs to squeeze the saddle when galloping, abdomen muscles and legs when trotting.