Is it possible to be a reverse anorexic?

Options
2essie
2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
Anorexic people see themselves as fat. I see myself as smaller than I am. When I catch sight of myself by accident I cannot believe I am the big fat person I am looking at. When I look at myself in a mirror at home I see a smaller person. What is going on here?

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there is a name for it, its like when you look in the mirror and still see that 20 something smoking hot person, not the 50+ grey haired grandma looking back at you and you do a double take cause you think its YOUR mother looking at you
  • 2essie
    Options
    Yes I know that feeling too except it is my grandmother I keep seeing in the mirror. I suppose it could be worse I could be seeing my grandfather :-)
    :laugh:
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    That's not the opposite of anorexic... you're talking about a symptom of it... body dysmorphia... you can have it either way, more often than not it's you think you're bigger than you are. Both can be damaging to the individual in different ways.

In terms of eating, the opposite would be binge eating, or just greedy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's called Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    It has been described as Fatorexia - seeing yourself as slimmer than you are. There has been a book about it, and a website.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1267883/Fatorexia-In-mirror-Sara-saw-slim-woman-Just-problem-17st-So-deluded.html
  • 2essie
    Options
    Ooooo I'm glad it has a name but now I know I have it I can do something about it. Thank you all
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    Haha I'm the same! I pick up large sizes of clothes and I think, HOW do these fit me?? I see a svelte little person in the mirror!
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same. I didn't think I looked that fat when I looked in the mirror (though I knew I wasn't small) I used to get such a shock though when I saw a photo of myself. I used to think oh that's how everyone else must see me.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I sometimes look in the mirror, or just down at my body, and wonder where exactly 120 lbs are supposed to come from. 30-40 lbs, sure, but 120? I just don't see it. I think it's because, even fat, I'm proportionate.
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's the frog in hilt water story. Put a frog in hot water and hell jump immediately. Put him in warm water and hell stay there while it gradually heats to boiling and cooks him. This is how I've let my body gain 50 lbs and think , well I'm still in pretty good shape, better than others.. Well this week I decided its time to find another pond ;)
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You know I feel what your talking about on this one. I have spent most of my younger life (and I am not that old folks) being what I would consider fit. So now that I am not and I see a pic someone takes or catch a reflection in the glass I'm walking by and I'm taken back. Grrr. :grumble: The only way I have decided to fix this is to get fit again. I in no way think I am thin, just not as big as I am I guess. lol. I am a lot happier having lost the lbs I have since being here though. I just can't wait until I can double that number. Oh yeah
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    2essie,

I know what you are talking about. And glad to know too that it has a name. I try to avoid really looking in the mirror but of course it's not an option at times. Then, it's a sad reality. It's funny though, one of the mirrors in my house makes me look a lot thinner than all the others. So, I have to wonder which mirror is right.

Wouldn't it be great if all department stores had my mirror! I think it would be a gold mine for them. If they just ripped out the size tags and just put Cute, Cuter, Cutest on the tags instead!

Wish it could make me look younger but I don't think that mirror has been invented yet.
  • 2essie
    Options
    I am so glad I am not on my own with this. I am also not under the impression I am slim just not like I look on photographs Ah well I will soon look like I think I do now with everyones help. Thank you all
  • rebbiebear
    Options
    Call it what you want, it is still a shock to see the size clothes I have in my closet and think, "Someone big owns these". You could say my head knows what's happened to the healthy and active me, but my heart is still wondering who is in the mirror!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a retail clothing store as the fitting room assistant. Most people would gather clothes to try on that were about the right size, but I would regularly see (mostly women) people bring clothing that was obviously too big or too small for them to try on. Every shift I would encounter a few customers with drastically wrong sized clothes. I kept my tape measure handy and spent a lot of time gathering correct sizes for customers to try.

The people trying on the too big clothes was usually someone who lost a lot of weight and couldn't believe they were down to this new smaller size. It took a lot of tact on my part to inform the people with too small clothes that they were actually a size much larger than they had anticipated. I would mumble something about Chinese manufacturing processes or mislabeled sizing on certain brands, blah, blah, blah.

Most customers were nice and were happy I could help them find the right size, but some (again, usually women) would leave the store since "all" of our merchandise was sized/ labeled "too small."
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I experience this, to some extent. For me, it's because I was very underweight as a child and teenager, and everyone always commented on how skinny I was, so being skinny simply became part of my self-understanding. I know several people who experience similar things - for instance, I have a friend who is incredibly pretty but she sees herself as ugly because as a teenager she was overweight and had acne, and her self-understanding became that she was ugly.

With me, I know logically that I weigh considerably more now than I did at, say, age 18, but somehow it doesn't register emotionally as me not being skinny any more. It's also why I never focus on losing weight - my focus is always on feeling healthy and having energy. I don't think it's a bad thing - I see so many people get obsessed with weight and get miserable about any weight that they gain, and I don't think feeling fat would enhance my life in any way.
  • cheercoach80
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. For the longest time I knew I wasn't skinny but really didn't see myself as obese. It took a couple of pictures that were less than flattering for me to go "HOLY CRAP THAT'S ME?!?!?!?" I really didn't see myself as being as large as I am, I do carry weight well at 5'8" but the last couple of years I've carried far too much of it. I really am thin at 150lbs (size 8/10) and was actually hospitalized for anorexia (as a teenager) at 122 lbs, which is larger for most girls. It has taken me a long time to realize I had as big a weight issue as I do and I keep taking progress photos so I can have an honest, realistic view of myself on a monthly basis!
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am the same way and I have heard the same from others. It doesn't show as much in the mirror, but is OBVIOUS in photos. I hate getting my picture taken, even though I know the camera is not "adding" pounds. It is just showing what is there.
  • lizk710
    lizk710 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my husband about this. I think I look great in the mirror, but when I see a picture of myself, I'm mortified! Nice to know it has a name!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There are times I see the real me.... dressing room mirrors at department stores, windows on the street, photos! Looking straight on I don't look as fat as my profile so a lot of times I don't see it. clothes start hanging on you so in your mind you are skinnier than you really are and that's what you see.

It depends on what I am wearing, what angle I'm looking, etc. I've even heard celebrities that are heavy set say the same thing. The weight gain can be so gradual that you just don't see it.