Is it possible to be a reverse anorexic?

Options

Replies

• T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's the frog in hilt water story. Put a frog in hot water and hell jump immediately. Put him in warm water and hell stay there while it gradually heats to boiling and cooks him. This is how I've let my body gain 50 lbs and think , well I'm still in pretty good shape, better than others.. Well this week I decided its time to find another pond ;)

^this!!! I can relate, it happened so gradually that I didn't really notice!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I was ironing some jeans today, and I thought whose are these the are tiny? then I realised they were mine! It takes time to believe when you see smaller cltohes that they could be yours :-)
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    In my opinion it's the frog in hilt water story. Put a frog in hot water and hell jump immediately. Put him in warm water and hell stay there while it gradually heats to boiling and cooks him. This is how I've let my body gain 50 lbs and think , well I'm still in pretty good shape, better than others.. Well this week I decided its time to find another pond ;)

That is exactly what happened to me. I was so used to being skinny and fit, but it was all in my head when in reality over the years I replaced much of my muscles with fat.
  • WintersRaine
    Options
    I was reading over the thread now, i suppose the thread itself isn't really an issue. I just hate how she phrased "reverse anorexic" perhaps it shouldn't have pissed me off. I'll be leaving now. =)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    And there I was thinking it was just me.

I am sure I look thinner in the mirror than the camera. But if I take a photo of my reflection I look larger. So I have to believe it is my perception of myself being distorted by my brain when the image from the mirror passes through my eyes. <phew my brain hurts now>

Strange that ones own perspective of oneself can be so different. But I am down two dress sizes no matter what the mirror or the camera show. So that is good.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's body dysmorphia. Just the same as the woman who needs to look like Barbie or the man who want's his legs cut off because he feels they don't fit on his idea of what his body should look like.
    Your advantage is you have started to see past it, and that's good.
  • kristinacottle
    Options
    Ha, you people don't have body dysmorphic disorder. You don't want to have it.

You just haven't accepted that you've gained weight lol. :huh:
  • WintersRaine
    Options
    Ha, you people don't have body dysmorphic disorder. You don't want to have it.

You just haven't accepted that you've gained weight lol. :huh:

lol yeaaaaaaaah.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I considered myself anorexic, but I was probably actually EDNOS--and I have overcome it. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible for it to come back, but this is the first time I've EVER lost weight and not felt the need to starve myself. I believe that we are stronger than we believe we are and that we CAN overcome eating disorders.
  • WintersRaine
    Options
    to actually answer this post, when I was at my heaviest, I never actually thought I was overweight. I actually really liked my figure. It was when I'd see pictures of myself that I was like "oh god. i look like that?" But I'm still that way. I feel horrid and fat, but then I see pictures of myself and I think "are my arms really that small?" It can work both ways. The important thing is that you are happy with yourself. Don't let yourself be defined by your appearance. x
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Reminded me of Shallow Hal--YouTube panty scene shallow Hal if you haven't seen the movie.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement it is not body Dysmorphic disorder that is a much deeper and more terrible thing.

This is a perception thing. Like some people think they are clever but aren't and some people think they are funny but they aren't.

It seems a lot of us see ourselves a certain way in the mirror but a photograph is like a slap in the face. It says "This is what you really look like" biach

Below is the picture of me that made me realise I was a lot bigger than I thought. When I put that dress on that night I thought I looked a lot slimmer in it than I actually did. I am horrified that I thought that dress looked nice. In the mirror it really didn't look that bad :ohwell:

SL372200.jpg
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we should be a little kinder to wintersraine. I think she needs our help more than most of us do. I do not know why I upset you with "reverse anorexia" because to me that is what it is and is probably as much a problem as being anorexic It can kill you just the same. I apologize if I upset you but it wasn't intended.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Maderson27 I think you look fantastic.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I definitely used to relate to this but I think it was because I wasn't ready to admit how much weight I had put on. Now I'm the opposite, feel huge even though I am a lot less of a person than I used to be :-( no winning! Lol!
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    what a stupid ****ing arrogant post.

You really should have thought more before posting, making a construcive comment rather than this snarky one would have gotten a better response and made people think more rather than just react badly.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I didn't think WintersRaine was being snarky. She took offence at the term 'reverse anorexic'. I can understand this, to be fair, because there is obviously a lot more to anorexia than simply seeing oneself as fat when one isn't, so comparing one's difficulty realising one has gained weight to anorexia could be seen as trivialising and stereotyping a serious mental illness (even though that wasn't what was intended). She makes a fair point.
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    Perhaps we should be a little kinder to wintersraine. I think she needs our help more than most of us do. I do not know why I upset you with "reverse anorexia" because to me that is what it is and is probably as much a problem as being anorexic It can kill you just the same. I apologize if I upset you but it wasn't intended.

Now YOU are class- I salute you!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do that. I don't see myself as fat. sure I'll admit to a little extra filler in places, but I don't see myself as heavy. When my son graduated college and pics were taken I had to ask so who is the lady standing with my son?? It was me and I didn't even recognize myself.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to believe that someone who weighs 120, but says that they want to get skinnnyyy in their profile really wants to try to get help. If that's not promoting eating disorders, I don't know what is. Perhaps one should read the site rules again.