How do you feel about advice regarding your diet?

Replies

• sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    I don't really offer advice unless people ask because if people want it they usually ask for it. Sometimes it's difficult not to mention it as I had one friend who for a week only had various chips and crackers in their diary. I had a difficult time holding my "fingers".

However, I will offer suggestions. Like, if I see someone has a sandwich every day or toast in the morning with bread that is 100+/ slice, I'll mention that Sara Lee has a 45cal/slice bread. Or anything that I have found as a lower cal substitute by a significant difference. I do this because different stores will have different options and also because a lot of people stick to the same brands and don't really check out all the options even when they do count cals.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Nope!

For one diaries are really subjective. The info in the database is not always correct. I don't know exactly what is going on in his/her life. I would never ever discourage someone from being afraid to log by "offering them advice." Mine is public and will stay that way not that I want opinions. I know what to do I'm a registered dietitian. I use it because I have to stay conscious and I have to hold myself accountable. I have hidden my true intake for so long.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    It's interesting to read how everyone considers other members' diaries. It really is subjective, and it does vary from person to person.

As far as people complaining about not losing weight while still eating over their calories (regardless of what they choose)... I wish that scenario only stopped there! There are tons of situations where people complain, and the solution is staring them dead in the face. I truly think they know the solution, choose not to solve the problem, and bleat about it to garner sympathy; if it only stopped at weight loss.

Don't get me wrong, the thought has definitely crossed my mind when it comes to questionable (to me) diet choices, but I think I would ask first before giving my opinion. My diary is open to friends to keep me accountable. I certainly wouldn't mind a well-intended piece of advice, but when it turns into finger waggling, that's when I'm not too receptive.

Weight loss is like parenting. It is so individualized, but a topic people feel very passionate about.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    This is why my diary is closed! I don't want anyone commenting on my ice cream habit lol I get enough of that from the boyfriend haha
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    I only know 3 people in real life on my friends list, and they all happen to be coworkers. We talk about stuff and respect that we are not following the same eating life style. I don't give or ask them for advice, but I may ask why their caloric goal is so high (didn't notice the extra exercise points, oops). I comment here and there, because we all think that's what helps keep us accountable. If I know one of my friends is having a problem cutting back on soda, I might comment that they did great in cutting back, or say 'hey, tomorrow's going to be a better day'. I try to keep it positive and I think I know where all the boundaries are.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Depends, I have a couple of friends who keep me in line by saying stuff like "You were under your calories eating that pizza but wheres the nutrition" or "nice job but get some veggies in". I welcome this. Its not really advice, more so looking out for me.

But if I got a random e-mail saying "hey, I notice you eat 2,000 calories typically. You should reduce it to 1200 to lose weight I would probably reply in some not to polite words :)
  • I hate it when people comment on my diary.

I dont believe an open diary is an invitation to comment. Mine is open because I have nothing to hide. Look at it, don't look at it, it doesn't matter to me.

If I post a status or thread complaining about not losing weight, if I'm stuck then sure, I'm inviting you to comment, help, motivate, support etc.
    But...if I'm consistently losing 2lbs a week clearly I'm doing something right and I don't need another mother.....
    This happens at work too and I've just completely stopped talking to people because I'm tired of the unsolicited, and quite often bad, advice!

Having said that I do believe most people have good intentions though so I don't delete anyone or yell at them if they do comment.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    I try to be tolerant when people give unsolicited advice, because I know people are trying to help, but I tend to take it with a pinch of salt, because I know more about my body than anyone else does, and I have experimented with a lot of things I know what works and what doesn't. And I'm also aware that my body has very specific needs and preferences which are quite different from the norm, because I am on the autism spectrum. I am a lot more likely to listen if the person giving advice is also on the autism spectrum or has worked closely with people on the autism spectrum.
  • JoniGo
    JoniGo Posts: 5 Member
    If this were a friend--yes, but I better be able to accept their reply, if any. Likewise, they should feel safe in our relationship to do the same. It's also an opportunity for one or the other to learn something new/helpful.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    I don't give it unless asked. I generally let it go in one ear and out the other. I know what to eat......It just doesn't always happen.
  • I have said when people are not even close to 1200 calories per day especially if it a man. I have tried to give advice about lowering sodium intake and drink more water and it hasn´t been taken well. I would want people to tell me if I was doing something wrong because I want to do well and if someone knows better than me, thats ok.

I for example do not feel good about cheering people to eat less than 1200 calories a day, I could just as well be telling them it´s ok to be anorexic.

I would rather want some advice rather than giving up later.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    If I know a friend is under a specific program I will comment something like, great day on your program or something similar, supportive but not necessarily that I think eating 200g of protein a day with no exercise is healthy. Or really low calorie, but under a doctors care. If they are diet hopping I might give creative advice, however, I don't comment on anyones diet outside of my circle because i know my circle and what they are going through so I feel pretty confident on commenting but I try to make any "suggesitons" private in a pm, and make it clear it is just a suggestion because I know they are struggliing with finding a specific pattern. I read a lot of research papers on their behalf and most of them are grateful to me for being the scientist of the bunch, lol. Now if I like them but hate their diet I will comment on weight loss and exercise and stay the heck away from looking at their diet, we each have our own path and don't want to be convinced otherwise.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    In my opinion, people shouldn't make their diaries public (to friends or to everyone) if they don't want feedback. In that circumstance, I don't think the advice is completely unsolicited, since they are making their food diary readily available for you to see (and potentially comment)...If you don't want feedback, why open it so people can see it? That being said, positive feedback or constructive criticism is the way to go... very negative comments certainly won't do any good.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    I do not give unsolicited advice.

I do like receiving it depending on the source. I'll listen to successful bodybuilders, strongmen/women, professionals and along those lines.
  • ilysejohnson
    ilysejohnson Posts: 26 Member
    I am comfortable doing what I do, so I take unsolicited advice "with a grain of salt" - Kind of depends on the advice-giver's motivation too -- some people feel that the only way to lose weight is the way they're doing it, but that isn't necessarily what works for me. That said, there's often a nugget or two that's worth considering ... and in this life-long journey, it pays to consider all options!

That said, I hope I haven't offended anyone by sharing my own ideas!
  • Elfinmajic
    Elfinmajic Posts: 20 Member
    You can simply make that part of your profile not public. Problem will be solved.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Unless I ask for it, then I don't appreciate unwanted advice. At the end of the day, I'm the only one that's going to make me do what I do.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    I will occasionally say something, if I've a sense of what people are trying to do. Things like 'could do with more veg' or 'a little high on the sodium' or whatever. Nothing major and it wouldn't concern me if someone asked me to stop doing it.

I'm more likely not to comment if there's something major that I think is wrong, because people are making their own journeys.

I don't mind at all if people comment on what I'm doing, their insight can be helpful and I believe people mean well with their advice, even if it might not be on the mark with the journey I'm making.
  • I dont give advice and I would only really want advice if I asked for it I think different things work for different people and I know what works best for me so I dont really need other peoples advice
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    I've been known to give and receive unsolicited advice. One thing I've learnt is that if you smile, nod and then do what you were going to most people are happy.