Bad Calories Vs. Starvation Mode: Which is Better?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Did I miss something? Clobercow has not once been rude and is just answering a question that was asked and after all it is his opinion just like the rest of you have opinions. Not sure what the problem is but imo he answered the question and had something to say about the OP's question, unlike those of you who have attacked him with insults and putting him down. I personally think it is the other who have hijacked this conversation because they disagreed with what he had to say. sheeesh people get a freaking gripe
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I had not planned my day today too well and ended up eating about 500 calories total by 9pm. When it gets to that point, you have to go to sleep by 10, and the nearest food joints available are small-portioned happy hour bar menus, it seems that you have limited options:

- Eat nothing at all
    - Eat a small portioned salad or another healthy yet limited calorie meal, which would get you 400 calories max, which would come to a total of 900 for my day, i.e. still in starvation mode territory.
    - Eat a good portioned burger (white bread buns) with fries, which would definitely get you to your goal of 1200 calories plus.

I chose the latter, but I know I will pay for it internally and externally.
    My question is, which is better to do in a dire situation:
    a) Go into starvation mode but save your body from harmful calories, or
    b) Eat stuff that will prevent you from going into starvation mode but is definitely bad for your well being?

You won't go into starvation mode in just one day. I usually plan pretty well but on the rare occasion where a situation like this happens and it's so late at night, I'll usually just make toast before bed and eat a big healthy nutritious breakfast in the morning.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    One day of eating a very low amount of calories is not going to alter your metabolism. That said, if you're hungry, it's a good idea to eat. It doesn't matter that it's an hour before you're going to bed; the calories aren't going to make you gain any more late at night that they would at any other time. If fast food is your only choice, whatever. Not a big deal to eat it once in a while but go for the healthier choices if you can.