Cheat Days...Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I won't do a cheat day but I will treat myself on occasion. For me doing a cheat day will do a number on my body and stomach. For example I haven't had fast food in over 2 weeks now and I know that if I was to have some I would be paying for it for the rest of the day.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week sometimes it's just a cheat meal. I will do the whole day where I don't count calories and just eat what I want and I am satisfied for the week. I have always seem fine at losing.
  • Buttercup225
    Buttercup225 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So many great suggestions everyone! Thank you for sharing your opinions! I'm thinking that I will try to incorporate my favorite foods into my daily diet and not have a "cheat day." I'll just try to stay within my calories/fat/carbs so that when I do reach my goal weight, I will be able to continue eating normally and not feel like "WHEW! Binge Time!" LOL! Thanks again MFP! Yall are beyond awesome!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I am curious about everyone's thoughts about having food cheat days. I've heard some people say that it feeds into a food addiction and can result in relapsing into unhealthy eating behaviors. I've heard others say that a cheat day is good so that you don't deprive yourself foods that you do enjoy...but in moderation.

Hmm...I'm on the fence. What are your thoughts?

I''m not addicted to food, or an emotional eater, I just need to make wiser choices. My day is Sunday and every other friday'ish.
    I work in the approx. amount of calories that I'll rack up that day, and try and work it into the weekly calorie allowance.

for example, a 1400 daily allowance times 7 = 98000. If I have a left over of 3,000 on Sunday I have about 13500 cals a day.

I still have a deficit of what I need. I have my cake and eat it too, so to say.

If you do have a food addiction, or emotionally eat, then I think the occasional special occasion is a better idea instead of completely denying yourself.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I am curious about everyone's thoughts about having food cheat days. I've heard some people say that it feeds into a food addiction and can result in relapsing into unhealthy eating behaviors. I've heard others say that a cheat day is good so that you don't deprive yourself foods that you do enjoy...but in moderation.

Hmm...I'm on the fence. What are your thoughts?

Ohhhhhh. By the topic title, I thought you meant cheat days on your spouse. I didn't realize you meant food... I'll be going now.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I've always said no. I don't tell myself to not eat this or that. I eat anything I want, but in moderation. I don't go over my 1300 calories a day.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I find that falling off the wagon from time to time will actually jump start my losing again if I am stuck for a while and the scale is not moving. I seem to do it too often though and need to find a way to get it under control.
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    Options
    I overindulge two days a week. However, I consume lower calories on the other five days to allow for these two days.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat days...but usually if I go out of town for a day, I allow myself to eat foods I wouldn't eat every day. They actually help keep me on track because I'm not telling myself I can't eat the foods. If you have self-control and are able to jump right back on board the next day, cheat days can actually help shock your body and keep you losing (I almost always am down a pound or two after a cheat day). However, if you have food addictions or binge issues, I wouldn't advise cheat days as they could get you more off track than they would do good.

I am also usually 400-1000 calories below my daily goal because I rarely eat my exercise calories so for me it averages out. I have about a 2400 calorie deficit since Wednesday so when I go eat with my grandpa today, I can have a burger and fries and know I probably won't even eat half of that. Plus, it will fill me up so I won't eat anything else today and I have my run tonight so I might not even go over my calories once I factor all of that in.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't really plan a cheat day because I already allow myself to have not so wise choices on occasion, usually in social situations.
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    Sunday is my day to not worry if I go over my calories. Call it a "cheat" day, or call it whatever. I don't tend to go over by a whopping lot.
    I totally understand where the people are coming from that don't take such a day, and I can support the idea. For me, I don't feel like I deprive myself the rest of the week, but having a day when I don't worry about going over a little feels good.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day. It works for me. I see it this way, if I were to eat crap all week long and then eat really healthy one day of the week I probably wouldn't lose anything or get in any better of shape would I? Once day isn't going to hurt you.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal every week or so. Last week was terrible and I had two days of reckless eating, but I generally cook a meal I've been craving but isn't so healthy once or twice a week. I try not to do it when I am stressed or upset, since that is when I typically am driven to make poor food decisions and I don't want to fuel that.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule cheat days because I'm having enough trouble staying on track as it is.
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Uhh maybe a cheat MEAL.. but still fit it within your goals as best as possible. Just eat something that you would normally avoid.

Cheat days.. no. Nobody needs an entire day to have an excuse for an eat-fest (in my opinion).

This!! Totally agree!
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It's motivating to have a cheat day because I can tell myself if you hold out for the rest of this week, you can have that chocolate chip cookie staring you down! There is no way I could just give up all the "bad" foods around me, but only allowing myself to have them once a week makes it so I'm not deprived and keeps me going during the healthy days. I want to be able to go out with girlfriends and drink without counting calories. I want to have a dinner date and be able to eat candy during the movie. I went to the fair this weekend and got to enjoy the ridiculous food there. I don't want to miss out on those experiences because I'm worried about calories!

So for me, I have a cheat day and I love it!
  • ellouise1108
    ellouise1108 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have to say no to cheat days. I have had a cheat meal though, but a whole day of it would make me feel like I was taking a step backwards and that it would make the numbers on the scale go in the wrong direction. Just my opinion though...
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have foods on occassion that I consider off limits (ie: cheeseburger, pizza or alchohol) but I definitley would
    not throw an entire day just for junk food. I work too hard the rest of the week to maintain, why blow it in one day.
    So to answer your question; I only have a cheat meal every once in awhile.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,994 Member
    Options
    First, this is a lifestyle change for me, not a diet, so I would call them splurge days rather than cheat days. I think having occasional splurge days are good, but not too often. I am sure once a week would be too often for me, but once a month would be better. I prefer a splurge meal rather than a whole day of splurging. In fact, I'm planning a splurge lunch in a few minutes, but I'll log it and try to stay under my goal by eating low on my other meals.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    NO.
    Eat high protein, eat healthy carbs in moderation....
    there are many alternatives to redirect old habits into new productive better choices find them.
    No going back EVER!

smile