Finding a Roommate Off of Craigslist - Yaay or No Way?

Options

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i met a roommate through the newspaper. It was the best decision i've ever made. she's my best friend, was in my wedding and all. ya just never know where you'll come across someone!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I currently live with roommates found on craigslist and they are great! I would suggest meeting in a public place such as a coffee shop and hanging out for a while and consider bringing a friend too. That way you get to know one another and feel safe.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Two words.

Craigslist. Killer.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Seriously craigslist isn't that bad. I've found places to live on it multiple times. The key is to make sure your ad looks professional--don't put your address on the ad, but put the neighborhood/area you live in. Also say that if serious, e-mail you and then you guys should skype and talk on the phone and then eventually meet in a public place to discuss it.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea!!!!!!
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    I've actually had a few roommates that way. I interview and then do checks. I've only had one "terrible" one...
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    No way I would let a stranger live with me....
    Nope. Unless it was like a friend of a relative or someone that could vouch for them. Id post to my friends on FB but be very selective. Then again, I like living alone (when I could) so I probably wouldnt get a roommate. Although, I like extra cash. I guess this post didnt help you out much.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend did that and actually got an awesome roommate. They hang out all the time now. Just do your due diligence and do background and credit checks.
  • bubmaster
    Options
    no way !!!
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    My sister's had a number of places with people she's found using craigslist - it can be done but you have to be weary and quite selective.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    All my roommates for about 7 years were found via Craigslist. If you have decent crazy-radar, it's not a bad idea. Did I love all my roommates? No. But it also was never disastrous. Only reason I stopped finding roommates on CL was because I had saved enough to buy a house. If you're going that route and you're the only one on the lease (or on a lease where both of you are jointly liable), I'd consider having them provide references, first/last/security and even see if you can do a credit check. Figure out what is on your list for housing deal breakers (someone who parties, smoking in the house, pets, etc) and make sure those things line up too.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    How well do you like living?

LMAO! But I agree :indifferent:
  • wood2415
    wood2415 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    NO WAY!! I would rather find someone through a friend.
  • moonrevenge
    moonrevenge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Two of my previous living situations were through Craigslist, but this was about a decade ago. The last time I was looking at the site, it seemed full of scam artists and other sketchy types.

I hear that Kijiji is the "new Craigslist." Judging by the things I've seen there, I'd be more comfortable finding a roommate through that site. As always, try to make sure you're not meeting potential roommates alone, regardless of which medium you use, and trust your gut instincts.
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A great big HELLLLLLLLLLL NO! LOL Did ya see the movie "Single White Female"??????? LMAO
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    no idea about CL, but most of the places I have lived in since the internet became popular have been through roommate finding websites. There's bound to be a flatmatedot or roommatedot where you are and it's probably the best place to search for someone serious about wanting a place to live.

I have had over 50 different flatmates over the years (and no, that's not a reflection on me, I hope). You get some weird ones and some good ones. Think about what you want from a flatmate - do you want someone to pay the rent or someone to hang out with? It's not like you have to take the first person who responds, and don't forget, they have to be able to get along with you just as much as you have to get along with them. Meeting and getting a feel for what a person like is easy enough. And it's all very well meeting the potential 'roommate' in a public place, but they will actually want to see the room at some point.....

Alternatively, you could watch the film 'Shallowgrave' and think about what happens when you share with people you think you know well......
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It's like looking anywhere else, you have to screen them. I would meet them somewhere besides your home, definitely, and probably have a friend go with me. There are weirdos everywhere in this world. Just because you meet them through friends sometimes they can still be a Ted Bundy or like the chic in Single White Female.

I currently live alone in a two bedroom apartment. I can make the rent on my own, but it would be nice to split it with someone to have extra cash every month.

No one I know is looking to move, so what are your thoughts about finding a roommate through Craigslist?
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say its a terrible idea. If you go about it the right way, be very mindful, and follow your instinct, I'm sure you can find someone who isn't a killer. I would suggest using a roommate finder site first. Not saying they're completely safe, but they're a bit more credible. Perhaps you could put an ad in the classified section of your newspaper? Definitely network on Facebook, someone might know someone who knows someone....
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've done it 2 or 3 times and had pretty good luck. Never lived with any crazies, but for one reason or another I would end up moving about a year and a half later. I've actually had better luck on CL than on the roommate search sites. Like everyone else said, do some research. You can also have a trial period. Say a one month lease that if either party is not happy then the person can move out with no penalty. After the trial period an official lease document can be signed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No big deal if you ask for references, do a background check, and a personal interview first. Unless your new room mate is one of your good friends, I would do all of those things anyway. I wouldn't put your address in the ad though, just a description and a neighborhood. No need to advertise that you are a woman living alone...