Finding a Roommate Off of Craigslist - Yaay or No Way?

Options

Replies

• moonrevenge
    moonrevenge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did I love all my roommates? No. But it also was never disastrous.

Same here. The worst that I had to deal with was a roommate who was always eating my treats and never replacing them because she "was on a diet."
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I would definitely look for local colleges to post an advertisement at first...also, if you have any large corporate companies near you, they usually have people traveling that are looking to rent by the week and/or month and have in person or online ad boards...if you are going to go craigslist I would get a $20 tracphone so that if you do end up with a crazy stalker they won't likely find you, and definitely take time to get to know them somewhere public before deciding to keep them...you can always meet them for coffee with a photo album of the room for rent with any identifying landmarks removed from the photo (like a mailbox with the house number)...then they can decide if they are interested and you can take some time to decide if they are compatible...they don't have to be crazy to be a horrible roomate, and sometimes even friends or friends-of-friends turn out to be an awful match.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Even someone you know can end up being a bad roommate. If you can afford not too, I wouldn't. But as far as Craigslist goes, it's probably no more dangerous than using the classifieds in the paper to find a roommate. You just have to be careful.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have had about a million craigslist roommates. Most have been great. I haven't loved all of them but several of them are still close friends years after moving out. I just went to one former CL roommates wedding last weekend with another former CL roommate as my "date".

I didn't check references or get police reports on any of them (and none got mine). Carefully worded ads, careful screening of replies and in person interviews were sufficient and this is New York City.

I definately would not want to live with a college student - unless I was still college aged myself. I do not think they make the best roommates or are anymore trustworthy than the general population. I would take a working grown up over a college student anyday!

That being said - living alone is SO nice! Why would you want to give that up if you can afford to do it alone? Maybe a temporary sublet or month to month roommate would be a good compromise. So you can get the $$$ for a little while but not have to sign on for a whole year.
  • lyonsfool03
    Options
    Well let me give you a little advice. As many of you have heard here in Lafayette La we had a 22 yo girl go missing on her bicycle in may by the name of Mickey Shunick. Well just recently, they have taken in a suspect for her murder even though they have not found the body. They have also linked this guy to the killing of a young woman in 1999. Well on to my point, shortly after the arrest was broadcasted, my friend, which is a cute lil blonde girl, called me in a panic. She stated to me that about two years ago she put an ad on craigslist for a roommate and low and behold she got a call from the now known murderer. She didnt meet up with the guy luckily because she had already found a roommate but he did ask her to add him on fb.. She said numerous times over the past years he asked her on dates including the day that the girl went missing. So if you ask me I would definately say nay!!!!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    A great big HELLLLLLLLLLL NO! LOL Did ya see the movie "Single White Female"??????? LMAO
    I was thinking the exact same thing....but then again, that could be hot LOLOL \m/
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Potential roommates should always be interviewed and screened no matter what the source is.

I would interview them away from your home and not reveal your address until you feel comfortable with the person.

Do not have potential roommates come to the home.

During the interview, you can describe the place and general location since they will need to know the vicinity - if it is convenient for them to go to work, etc.

But they do not need to know the exact location until there is a mutual interest and screening (background check).

Edited to add ...

And, now, after reading what the person wrote about a friend having a killer contact her numerous times for a date, I would add that even a screening might not reveal anything dangerous or suspicious ... and could be misleading. It's scary and you can't be too careful!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    A friend just moved recently to Boston and that's how he found an apartment to live in. He really likes his two roommates but there were a couple of sketchy emails/phone calls from others that he had contacted and he was smart enough not to bother seeing those apartments. I think you just need to be cautious! Good luck :-)
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Scary thought :noway:
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Here's a fun fact. You can post that you want to see proof of income for a certain amount of time (to show stability in rent payments) and in many states, for 5 bucks, they can go to the police department and have a real time police report printed out. I think that in your ad you can state that these are MUSTS. I believe that there are many people who are single and need a comfortable, quiet place to live and are as awkward about finding a place just as it's awkward to find a roommate. However, you can also print out your police report *like I said by visiting your local police department* and show them that you are clean as well. I believe it is a great idea, you just have to be really smart about it. Take proof instead of someones word. Double check the dates on the police report and the paystubs. I believe you have the potential to find someone awesome. I had a roommate I found on craigslist and I had him in my home for over a year until he moved back to his home state. We coexisted and it was a quiet expierience. Not only that but splitting the rent was amazing. He never tried to put the moves on me and kept to himself. But I got that proof. Also, having a roomie that is close to your age is a good idea. It is something in common.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! A lot of weird and scary people out there.

craigslistroomie.png
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Like with anything, you have to be careful. However, I’ve had two roommates off of Craig’s List and it worked out well. My suggestion is to meet with them first in a comfortable setting and ask as many questions as possible. Also, see if they have a Facebook and/or twitter. This will give you some kind of insight into what kind of person they are as well.

I now rent a house I found on Craig’s list. I’m also typing this from the job I found on Craig’s List two years ago.. I love that site!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I lived in a three bedroom apartment in Hoboken, NJ (a very transient town) for a number of years. I found many of my roommates on Craig's List. I may not have been best friends with many of them, but I never ended up living with any true psychos (that said, I believe there's a little crazy in all of us - and that's healthy).

I was very specific about what I wanted - from the beginning of the process to the end. I specified the characteristics that I sought in my ad, and also stated that the person would have to A) pass a credit check and B) sign a lease. It's important not to be on the hook for their financial indiscretions. I felt that doing this weeded out a lot of shady characters even before a person contacted me.

Also, I actually did interview people. The purpose wasn't to find out if I liked the person, but rather to find out if I could LIVE with the person - were their living habits compatible with mine (and my other roommate's)? I preferred a roommate I could be friendly with, but not necessarily the best of friends - that way you're more likely to get the space we all need. On the flip side, I didn't want a roommate that would stay in their room whenever in the apartment - I felt that this would cause the person to be a stranger to me whenever they did (inevitably) surface, and I wanted someone I felt comfortable talking with (and/or confronting if issues arose).

I actually prefer to live with "a random" than a friend, or a friend of a friend. If you don't like living with the random, then you've lost nothing - They will probably feel similarly about you, and will probably move out at the end of lease. Living with someone you already have a connection with gets a little more tricky - if you decide you don't like living with them, you may end up losing a friend.

Basically, I feel Craig's List, or something along those lines is the way to go, but the selection process is not something to be taken lightly. Best of luck! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 roommates from Craigslist. Just resigned the lease with 2 of them. One is going on 2 years with me and the other going on 3 years with me.

I've had no problem. You just have to pick the RIGHT one from the replies. I sure did interview some weird *kitten* people, though. One dude asked if he could put his face on my cat to determine if he was allergic to her. Ummm, no. NEXT!
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Rent the movie. Single White Female and get back to us...
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No way!
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My friends have been fine. State in your ad that you will be running a background check on the person. And do it. But even mentioning it should help scare off any creepers. :)
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Try the website called roomster; It may cost money initially, but you will have a safer bet!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    haha nah way too many sketchy people
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Just do your homework, interviews, etc.
    If they say "bend over I think I love you", that's a keeper right there!