Avocados

Options

Replies

• 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    make nice spead on rice cakes for snacks with a little hot sause and salsa yummy
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    For those that eat a part of an avocado, what do you do with the remainder so it doesn't brown?
    Cover it with lime, fridge it will last 2 days...
  • BethanyTL
    Options
    I eat it whole as a meal with salsa on it!
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For those that eat a part of an avocado, what do you do with the remainder so it doesn't brown?

Leave the pit in and wrap it in plastic wrap (tight) and stick it in the fridge, it will stay good until the next day.

I use (and reuse) Ziplock bags -- press it down over the exposed part of the avocado, squeeze the air out and basically do a cheap vacuum seal. It keeps for a couple days that way. If you need more power you can give it a rub with lime or lemon juice before you bag it since the acidity also helps prevent it from browning.

As far as eating -- mixed with some low fat ricotta, vanilla or almond extract, a little bit of sugar/stevia, and a tsp of cocoa powder is delicious.
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE Aguacate!!!

There is no bad way to have avocado. The most unusual use Ive seen is the avocado lime cheesecake
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I usually will just eat it sprinkled with a little sea salt, but I love it in a freshly made salsa as well. And on sandwiches. And with scrambled eggs. And with tacos. And in guacamole. They are one of my favorite fruits!
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    Avocado smoothie

1/2 avocado
    1/2 -3/4 cup blueberries
    1 peach
    1/2 cup baby spinach
    1/2 cup kale
    one small container of Source lemon meringue yogurt
    5-6 ice cubes
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Ive also heard that if you use a plastic knife instead of a metal one, it doesn't turn brown as fast. Ive never actually tried this technique, though
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Bump, I have a couple of avocados, never had one before so I need ideas :smile:
  • alliejoberry
    Options
    I love them in homemade guacamole! Gotta watch out for the calories/fat in the chips, though.

I always get the avocado spread on my sandwich at Subway now. I should try putting avocado on my sandwiches at home, too. :9
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    Bump
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I used to slather them with Mayonnaise now I just eat them plain or in a sandwich.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

I know not what "remaining avocado" means!
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooooooove avocados......but I'm allergic to them. :sad:
  • alliejoberry
    Options
    http://www.cookingalamel.com/2012/04/avocado-chocolate-mousse.html

It's very rich, but YUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:

O.M.G. Yes!! :love: I have to try that! Hmm...I wonder if I could get my sister to try it...she's also an Avocad-dict.
  • Gillygil101
    Options
    If you only use part of the avocado and want to use it later - try to leave the pit still attached to the unused part and wrap the unused portion in plastic wrap. The plastic wrap NEEDS to come in contact with the flesh of the avocado in order to not brown. Then I ususally thow it in a ziploc and refrigerate. It will still brown very slighlty because its not air tight but will defintely slow the process down and allow you to eat it the next day. You can also do the same if you mash it and put in a container - just make sure it touches the plastic wrap and then cover with a lid and refrigerate.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb (most of the time) and I will go to a restaurant and order an omelet and always ask for sliced avocado on the side, or any salads I order, or chicken (or just about anything!).
  • biffdaddy
    Options
    Advacados mashed up with tuna instead of mayo. I also like to put them in my salads.
  • laurels12
    laurels12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I know not what "remaining avocado" means!

Me either -- I can't leave half an avocado! Gotta have all of it!! YUM!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    LOVE avocados! A current favorite of mine is grilled chicken and avocado slices. I dont know why I love the combo so much but I do!!!