Avocados

Options

Replies

• joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    they keep from going brown if you put lemon juice or lime on the cut piece and wrap tightly in cling film
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I might have to become addicted after reading this thread. !!!!
    i eat avocados almost ever day! starting w breakfast in my egg and potato tacos, eat it w almost any taco in general, w burgers, alone w tortilla chips, I think im addicted :)
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    I love avocados!!!!!!! I get a daily dose of it!! It has great healthy fats! I have mine on a sandwich or in a salad!
    Yum!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    For those that eat a part of an avocado, what do you do with the remainder so it doesn't brown?
    sprinkle a little lime juice on. that helps it keep in my fridge for about 3 days before it turns brown, but honestly half an avocado doesnt last that long at my house :laugh:

i like slicing them up and adding to sammiches. if they are really ripe then i just smoosh them up to make guac or use as a spread in place mayo. 1 deliciou combo i've found is a flaxseed cracker+ avocado spread + smoked salmon
  • vinsonh42
    vinsonh42 Posts: 125
    Options
    Chicken avacado pita pizza! Yum yum. Boil chicken in salt and peppered water and shred. Quarter some roma tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper and bake them in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes then mash lightly with a fork. Put pita bread on baking sheet put a tsp of olive oil on it and spread, add the tomatoes in place of sauce then the add sliced avocado and shredded chicken and about a half cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until you see the cheese is melty enough for you. Oh jeez it is quite scrumptious! Now I must make some soon!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Great ideas for a lovely avocado. I like mine with prawns & smoked salmon all chopped & mixed together with bit of mayo & lemon juice. Also nice mashed on toast with bacon
  • latinlady435
    latinlady435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas...I LOVE Avocados!!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I take a medium avocado, scoop out both sides into a bowl, pinch of salt and mash up then eat it like an egg substitute for breakfast on 12 grain toast. AWESOME
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I will peel it and eat it with s/p, in a salad, on a sandwich, diced up, smashed up, mixed with jalapenos, salsa, or used in a dressing, I JUST LOVE THEM!
    sound like bubba gump, huh, oh and speaking of shrimp, I love them grilled, fried, saute, in a salad, on a sandwich, etouffee, creole, gumbo, boiled, cold......
    well I JUST LOVE THEM too!
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with green onions and a squidge of mayo, and fill half of an avocado with it. I also put avocado on sandwiches, tacos, omelettes... Just about anything, really. :-)
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    they keep from going brown if you put lemon juice or lime on the cut piece and wrap tightly in cling film

Tried it - doesn't really work. Wish they lasted - maybe get a day out of them with the lemon trick...
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've only had it in salads. Might have to try some new options tomorrow.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    With tuna mayo

how I make tuna mayo: tuna (canned in water), low fat mayo (one that doesn't add sugar to replace the fat), vinegar, mustard, white pepper (i.e. use less mayo then add mustard, vinegar and pepper so it still has plenty of flavour)

then slice or dice the avocado and some tomato and mix the three together gently (i.e. don't mash up all the avocado into the tuna, so you have pieces of tomato and avocado mixed in rather than all mashed together). Can be a sandwich filler or just eat it right out of the bowl (which I call a low carb sandwich, i.e eating sandwich fillings without the bread lol)
  • LisaGore1
    Options
    LOVE avocados! Tonight I'm making spaghetti squash with avocado 'sauce' (pureed avocado, olive oil, basil and a squeeze of lime, salt and pepper) and turkey meatballs.
    OMG that sounds great will have to try that!!!
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I make guacamole. Had some yesterday. YUM!!!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    bump!

sliced on whole wheat toast, sprinkled with salt and pepper
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Somebody on MFP sent out a guacamole chicken salad recipe (essentially basic guacamole with shredded chicken added), that is fantastic. The original poster said that she lost all the benefits of the healthy recipe by eating it on tortillas, chips or pita chips, but we've been making lettuce wraps with this as the filling (on romaine lettuce leaves).

I think you could do same with a nice white fish, or shredded pork. It really is fantastic!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Anyway I can get them! lol Sliced, plain or with salt and pepper. A little lemon juice. On just about anything.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    For those that eat a part of an avocado, what do you do with the remainder so it doesn't brown?

Keep the pit in it, sprinkle with lemon juice, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    would love that avocado dressing recipe - I just joined here tonight and saw the topic of Avocados which I like too - want to find weight saving ways of using them.