Dilemma! Awkward unfriending with mutual friends

Options

Replies

• sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    can't everyone in question just read this thread?

YES!!! They can....
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    delete and move on... seriously majority of people will not make a big deal and if the do... delete them too..

although if you were on my friends list I would delete you for posting this, because I would hate to think I was the friend you were asking about on a public forum.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've deleted people with a ton of mutual friends. Not for the same reason as you, but still. It isn't awkward at all when we comment on mutual friends statuses. I don't care. But I'm also.pretty sure they didn't notice or care I deleted them, considering they were deleted because they never talked to me.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Pretty sure many of your friends are going to want to delete *you* after they see that you ask what to do about them on the public forums...

Because they're talking about one person who's an *kitten* and just happen to mention they're mutual friends with just about everyone else? Sheesh if people are that sensitive, sign me up to live on the moon.

OP: Nothing original to be said. Defriend then block them. What your mutual friends think is null and void. Bottom line is you don't need that person's crap especially if they're targeting you personally and there's no excuses to keep trash like that around.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Is this a person you see on a regular/semi-regular basis?

If it's a person you see on a regular basis, just go out of your way to not sit/stand near them. Excuse yourself or try and converse with someone else.

My husband doesn't like a particular person in our group, so I usually sit in as a buffer. (I get along fine with the guy and know how to subtly steer the conversation on topics he's good at discuss (ie; no politics, religion or OS)

If they make nasty comments on your fb page, make make it so they don't see your feed. It's only a few simple steps.

You don't have to be chummy, but you don't have to say "I don't like you anymore, we're not friends" In this situation, a passive-aggressive manner is probably your best route.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hit the Hide button. It works wonders !!! solved bunches of problems for me in the same situation. Good luck !

If you hit the "hide" button it only keeps you from seeing what they have posted on their "wall" and not the other way around. And SC is an avid poster so if the person can no longer see her posts.....the jig is up. =).

I'm just hoping I am not the person.....ha ha ha! Because you know I will question you as to where I our friendship went....just like I did before.....ha ha ha!
  • lisalove37
    Options
    It's okay to let go. Love yourself enough to give yourself permission to let go of someone who isn't lifting you up. The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others on how you demand to be treated. Don't settle for anything other than respect.
    God knows who belongs in you life. Trust and let go. Whoever is meant to be there, will still be there. I hope this helps. Fill yourself with joy and laughter :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    Pretty sure many of your friends are going to want to delete *you* after they see that you ask what to do about them on the public forums...
    Maybe... but if they delete me...then its all good! Have to do what we need to do!!!
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    click it and forget it.
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    Hit the Hide button. It works wonders !!! solved bunches of problems for me in the same situation. Good luck !

If you hit the "hide" button it only keeps you from seeing what they have posted on their "wall" and not the other way around. And SC is an avid poster so if the person can no longer see her posts.....the jig is up. =).

I'm just hoping I am not the person.....ha ha ha! Because you know I will question you as to where I our friendship went....just like I did before.....ha ha ha!

Girl...really? You are one of my FAVS!!! Never!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know who half of my friends are on this site. I'll pretty much friend anyone. And if they defriend me, I probably wouldn't notice. So, just defriend them. You don't need the added stress!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    man up
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    how about an email and a discussion? :)
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    I only keep people around that are supportive and I can support...I cherish each one of my friends!!! I am gonna sleep on it...and act tomorrow!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Just delete. It's the internet. Besides, life's more humorous when you learn to embrace the awkwardness.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    just do it. if they ask, tell them why. if anyone else asks, they're paying way too much attention to the lives of others on the interwebs.
    I like this response. Until I get the nerve to do it myself I "hide" their comments. Do they know? I just hate someone always correcting MY OPINION. That is why it is an opinion - and everyone gets one. Granted some people probably DO actually know everything and often way more than I do, but I still have a right to my opinion!

Yes, it is awkward, but it will go away after a while. Hide them until then.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    how about an email and a discussion? :)

nooooooooooooooooooooo
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I only keep people around that are supportive and I can support...I cherish each one of my friends!!! I am gonna sleep on it...and act tomorrow!

Sounds like a good plan. What is the point of having so many friends that you wouldn't notice if you were unfriended by someone? For me, I like to get to know my friends and encourage them and learn a little about them. It is hard to follow and encourage someone if you don't even take the time to learn a little bit about them and their goals. Seems pointless to have friends on here if you really wouldn't know if you were defriended or not. Especially by friends that post daily.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming this is FB. You can hide their posts from your wall. Hover over one of them and on the right hand side there's a little arrow. Select "unsubscribe." You are still a friend but you no longer see their posts.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    just do it. if they ask, tell them why. if anyone else asks, they're paying way too much attention to the lives of others on the interwebs.

What she said!