How to get rid of ice cream cravings?

Options

Replies

• kpaquette1
    Options
    I like your concept. It really makes alot of sense.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    take a banana slice it up freeze the slices. add it to a food processor with 2 teaspoons chunky peanut butter and 1/4 teaspoon cocoa powder. its 185 calories if you do 100 grams of banana. its amazing how much it really does taste like ice cream i hope this helps

For 185 calories I'd rather have a few spoonfuls of Haagan Dazs. Since it's so rich a little bit is satisfying.

Or keep skinny cow or some other low calorie frozen treats on hand. (not sure if they satisfy the graving as much). The smart ones desserts are really good though.
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only way I get rid of cravings is by eating what I crave in a controlled way. Otherwise, I will eat 50 other different things to avoid it and then eat it anyway, and that is WAY more calories!
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Caramel Truffle Ice Cream Bars = the best ice cream EVER!!!!! 100 Calories and we eat one almost every single night :flowerforyou:
  • Fitfortat
    Options
    I feel your pain... I love ice cream!! I went to Target and purchased a YONANA.... it takes frozen bananas and other frozen fruits and turns it into the consistency of soft serve. There are all sorts of recipes and flavors you can make. Its a great alternative to ice cream and since its just fruit, you can eat it in good conscience!!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Make your own! I love ice cream, so I got an ice cream maker. Tonight's recipe: 1 cup almond milk, 10 cherries, a drop of almond extract, and 3 tsp of sugar. Yields almost 2 cups of deliciousness -- cherry almond ice cream that totally satisfies my Ben & Jerry's craving for just 150 calories.
  • BrewerFan2
    Options
    one cup skim milk, handful of ice cubes, one cup of frozen fruit (any kind you like) put in the blender and thicken to your taste. Add some sugar free chocolate syrup/powder or flavoring of your liking. Or sometimes I just make a sugar free icee drink at home from those water bottle powder drinks in the blender with ice. Great on a hot day.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I buy the weight watchers ice cream snacks (in the ice cream isle)

They have lots of goodies - highest is a 140 calorie candy icecream bar... tried a lot of them and I have 2 favorites:

Strawberry Smoothie Frozen Bar = 60cals
    Vanilla Fudge Swirl "Snack Size" Ice Cream Cone = 90cals

One or *gasp* two of these usually curb my cravings!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Check out the Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow ice creams. They are awesome and low cal. I have one most every day and work it into my calorie count
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I second the banana idea. I make chocolate covered frozen bananas in big batches and freeze them. The banana tastes very much like ice cream when frozen, and it actually has nutritional value! So if one leads to two...not so bad!! Good luck!!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every day. I have 8 different kinds in the freezer right now. EDY's Slow churned. Best ice cream ever. 1/2 the calories of regular ice cream.

Best 240 calorie snack in the world

1/2 cup of Edy's slow churned 110-130 Cal depending on flavor
    1 fiber one brownie 90 calories.
    2 TBLSp of low fat whipped cream. 20-30 calories

WOOOT WOOOOT. Getting one right after I write this post.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    frozen greek yogurt
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Work in an ice cream shop! I'm only half joking-- I worked at one in high school and became so sick of ice cream, I still rarely eat it now 5 years later. Maybe you could substitute it for something else sweet? Or at least a healthier version, like fat-free frozen yogurt.

ROFL - I worked in a sub/ice cream shop during my HS years, and I've never been thinner! I can tell you that, sadly, after 20 years or so, the aversion to sub sandwiches and ice cream go away!

...Oh well!!! ;-)
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Eat frozen yogurt, sherbert, or a popsicle. Or weight watchers or skinny cow brands.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I eat icecream almost everyday,I just fit it in my allowed calories,dont give up what you like just do it in moderation,I dont eat half a gallon at a time like I used to ,now I have 125 grams when I have some,this is not a diet for me ,its a change in the way I eat,I will never give up the foods that I love to eat.I have lost 82 pounds by doing it this way,you can too

This -
  • ruthmarie1
    Options
    They sell some AWESOME tasting frozen yogurt at Safeway that is low in calories and fat....:-)
  • XaviAvant
    XaviAvant Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try the low-fat or sugar free kinds. I bought a pack of Sugar-Free Fudge Popsicles at walmart (40 calories per bar, 80 per serving) and I find that they're pretty sweet treat and a nice alternative to the regular ice creams. Plus, I've got it in my mind where I consider a single serving to be 1 bar when the regular serving is two, so I can go back for seconds and not feel guilty. It's a simple mind hack but it really works.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use an ice cream maker and make my icecream from whey protein powder and water plus a little purée berries. Blue, black or rasp.

Freeze the ice cream maker base

Mix vanilla whey protein powder with either water or skim milk or a mix until the consistency of runny custard.
    Put into ice cream maker and keep mixing until frozen

Can add: coffee, extra vanilla, berries,

Can replace some of the whey with beaten egg white to reduce cals. Can add pouring yogurt to mix.

Yum

Jasmin
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat it. I haven't given up the things I love, I just make better choices.

Edy's Slow Churned Mint Chocolate Chip: 120 cals per 1/2 cup
    Edy's Slow Churned Light Chocolate ice cream: 110 cals per 1/2 cup
    Ben and Jerry's low fat Half Baked Froyo: 180 per 1/2 cup

I make sure to save a few extra cals for it and make myself exactly 1/2 of a cup and leave the rest in the freezer--no more eating out of the carton for me! Where's the fun in life if I can't have a little ice cream? ;)