How can I shrink my legs?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce. if your weight isnt coming off proportionally then odds are it was never on proportionally (ie you're a pear shape).

just keep doing what you're doing and your body will keep reducing its fat stores. the general rule of thumb is the first place you notice weight gain is the last place you notice weight loss.

just keep at it. also as someone with thick thighs i dont understand why you arent able to wear dresses? dresses and skirts are pretty much the main things i can wear that will fit me

Good post. This is the correct answer. Please ignore the other posts about the mythical "toning" and such.

^^this

I carry a lot of my weight on my bottom half. I used to get my pants tailored to take the waist in. However, if you carry on losing, fat it will eventually come off your bottom half.

If you are at a calorie deficit, you will not gain bulk on your bottom half from lifting. Generally, when people go on about being muscular in their bottom half, they actually carry more fat not muscle in their lower half (this comment is not directed at you OP). Lifting weights can cause a temporary increase in the size due to glycogen/water in the muscle but it will not lead to bulking up, especially as I assume you are eating at a deficit.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce. if your weight isnt coming off proportionally then odds are it was never on proportionally (ie you're a pear shape).

just keep doing what you're doing and your body will keep reducing its fat stores. the general rule of thumb is the first place you notice weight gain is the last place you notice weight loss.

just keep at it. also as someone with thick thighs i dont understand why you arent able to wear dresses? dresses and skirts are pretty much the main things i can wear that will fit me

Good post. This is the correct answer. Please ignore the other posts about the mythical "toning" and such.

^^this

I carry a lot of my weight on my bottom half. I used to get my pants tailored to take the waist in. However, if you carry on losing, fat it will eventually come off your bottom half.

If you are at a calorie deficit, you will not gain bulk on your bottom half from lifting. Generally, when people go on about being muscular in their bottom half, they actually carry more fat not muscle in their lower half (this comment is not directed at you OP). Lifting weights can cause a temporary increase in the size due to glycogen/water in the muscle but it will not lead to bulking up, especially as I assume you are eating at a deficit.
    ^All of these things. I lost 30 pounds, none of them came off my *kitten*. :grumble: A whole lot lighter, more visible muscle, and I can still wear some of my start weight pants depending on where they lay. There's bone structure at play as well. According to my wrists, I have a petite frame. According to my elbows, I'm a large frame, according to my hips, I'm a fat *kitten* (the difference between my butt and waist is 12 inches).
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    1. Continue to eat at a deficit and your overall body fat will reduce. We cannot pick and choose where the fat comes off first, it comes off all over.
    2. Do not be afraid of lifting heavy weights. The only way you can add muscle is by eating over your suggested caloric intake just to maintain your current weight (bulk). Lifting weights while eating at a deficit will help you keep some lean muscle, rather than losing muscle stores by eating less than maintenance. This will help your muscles to be firmer (read: NOT bigger) which you will be able to see more of as the body fat reduces.
    3. Lifting heavy weights may produce a slight swelling at the beginning because of water and glycogen stores ("newbie" gains) but will go away eventually. None of that matters because you will continue to eat at a deficit and be losing fat, so you will lose inches.
    4. Measure your legs and compare as you go. You may not be realizing that your legs are actually getting smaller because it is more noticeable in other areas. For me, that is my upper body as well, though I can usually tell my legs are losing inches simply by the loose areas in my pants around the thigh.

Just trying to help, I may have some terms mixed up, but women should not be afraid of lifting weights and getting "bigger" in areas because they add good size weights to their regime. Good programs to start on if you have no experience are Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is your problem area. Lift weights, keep moving, eat at a deficit, and lose more bf%. Most of us lose (or gain) weight disproportionately, it's just our genetics.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    ^All of these things. I lost 30 pounds, none of them came off my *kitten*. :grumble: A whole lot lighter, more visible muscle, and I can still wear some of my start weight pants depending on where they lay. There's bone structure at play as well. According to my wrists, I have a petite frame. According to my elbows, I'm a large frame, according to my hips, I'm a fat *kitten* (the difference between my butt and waist is 12 inches).

We must be related :wink:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Weights will increase your muscle size, so they will give your legs a larger appearance, even after the fat finally burns off.

false

Lifting weights doesn't increase the size of your muscles? Good luck finding any science to prove that. :wink:

I assumed they were talking about being "bulky"

No, I am talking about the OP, not in general. If you are someone who carries most of your fat on bottom, then light weights with lots of reps are better than heavy weights. Jumping jacks or jumping rope is even better for fat-burning.

The OP is already BIG in the legs, hence the question of how to shrink them. Losing the fat is the way to shrink them. Diet and cardio will burn the fat.

I carry most of my weight in my lower half. I am pear shaped. I've been lifting heavy weights for 8 months. I even at 3000 calories a day (to gain muscle) for 4 of those months. I wear the exact same size pants after all that. I have NOT gained considerable size in my legs.

Eating at a calorie deficit and lifting heavy weights is the best way for anyone to achieve optimum body composition regardless of where our bodies store fat.

SideProgress.jpg
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    To the OP, what has worked for me going from a UK size 18 jeans to a 10 is lots and lots of walking. Up to 2 hours some days.

forgot to add eating at a calorie deficit doh!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nice to see some actually saying that a professional trainer is wrong...
    But maybe you didnt get what I said or I said it the wrong way:

If you want to shrink your tights and you already have the big muscle tights dont do to much weight or they will grow bigger, its a risk...
    Anyways...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

If you want to shrink your tights and you already have the big muscle tights dont do to much weight or they will grow bigger, its a risk...
    Anyways...

No risk. Listen to Rae, she knows what she's talking about. :)
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The way I learned not to be so upset about my thighs.... I imagined that the fat was distributed differently on my body & that it had ended up on my NECK instead! AGGGGGGGHHHHHH! Bring on those Thunder Thighs! I will not complain any more!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Weights will increase your muscle size, so they will give your legs a larger appearance, even after the fat finally burns off.

false

Lifting weights doesn't increase the size of your muscles? Good luck finding any science to prove that. :wink:

I assumed they were talking about being "bulky"

No, I am talking about the OP, not in general. If you are someone who carries most of your fat on bottom, then light weights with lots of reps are better than heavy weights. Jumping jacks or jumping rope is even better for fat-burning.

The OP is already BIG in the legs, hence the question of how to shrink them. Losing the fat is the way to shrink them. Diet and cardio will burn the fat.

I carry most of my weight in my lower half. I am pear shaped. I've been lifting heavy weights for 8 months. I even at 3000 calories a day (to gain muscle) for 4 of those months. I wear the exact same size pants after all that. I have NOT gained considerable size in my legs.

Eating at a calorie deficit and lifting heavy weights is the best way for anyone to achieve optimum body composition regardless of where our bodies store fat.

SideProgress.jpg

*sigh* Thank you! Yes...If you're not eating at a deficit and gaining muscle, you will increase muscle mass. Did anyone mention that 1 pound of muscle is considerably more dense then a pound of fat...Even if you're gaining muscle, if you lose fat, you'll get slimmer. Especially on a calorie deficit, it's not like you can bulk up some huge muscles out of nothing.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

Anyways...

It's not a risk, actually, and I am saying that your professional trainer is wrong. Sorry, no offense to your trainer, but it is rare to meet one that has actually done more than a 4 hour class to get their certificate. Many are wrong.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I have doubts I should not listen to him, he was bodybuilding as well... anyways... not a issue for me anyways... I just need to lose the fat and tone a bit and I will be the happiest girl!

:smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

so not true. i lift heavy 3 days a week. i'm squatting my body weight and deadlifting over my body weight and my body is getting slimmer because it's shedding fat.

also i should point out that I AM one of those girls who can very easily gain muscle if i wanted to.

since i've been eating at a deficit i still lift heavy *kitten* weights and have LOST 3 pant sizes. i've only lost 30 pounds but people are always remarking how i look like i've lost more. so no, weights do not automatically increase your muscle size nor do they automatically give you a larger appearance unless of course you're eating to bulk. oh and 10% of what i've lost has been from muscle too but that's because i was eating at a deficit.

lifting weights while you et at a deficit will not have the same effects on your body if you're eating at a surplus

ETA: Trainers can most definitely be wrong. back in january i had some trainer telling me that i shouldnt lift heavy because as a mesomorph it would make me bigger. i saw him few weeks ago in the weight room while i was doing deadlifts. once again he tried to dissuade me from lifting heavy and i was like "you're right i've got so huge from lifting heavy that I had to increase my pants size from a size 20 to a size 14". just cus someone is a trainer doesnt mean they know what they are talking about
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    ETA: Trainers can most definitely be wrong. back in january i had some trainer telling me that i shouldnt lift heavy because as a mesomorph it would make me bigger. i saw him few weeks ago in the weight room while i was doing deadlifts. once again he tried to dissuade me from lifting heavy and i was like "you're right i've got so huge from lifting heavy that I had to increase my pants size from a size 20 to a size 14". just cus someone is a trainer doesnt mean they know what they are talking about

LOL. Good for you!
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

LOVE IT!! Awesome!
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    How about biking? You can really feel that in your legs.
  • CoderGal
    Options

so not true. i lift heavy 3 days a week. i'm squatting my body weight and deadlifting over my body weight and my body is getting slimmer because it's shedding fat.

also i should point out that I AM one of those girls who can very easily gain muscle if i wanted to.

since i've been eating at a deficit i still lift heavy *kitten* weights and have LOST 3 pant sizes. i've only lost 30 pounds but people are always remarking how i look like i've lost more. so no, weights do not automatically increase your muscle size nor do they automatically give you a larger appearance unless of course you're eating to bulk. oh and 10% of what i've lost has been from muscle too but that's because i was eating at a deficit.

lifting weights while you et at a deficit will not have the same effects on your body if you're eating at a surplus

Just incase you didn't read it :P