your thoughts on the 30 day shred.

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I never said workout videos don't work. But they also encourage a lack of learning. The fact of the matter is most of these videos don't have nearly as much thought put into them as you are led to believe. And anyone who truly took some time to study about about how the science of fitness works even recreationally or casually could put together a program for themselves that is far superior to anything on any prepackaged video. These videos are great when used as a stepping stone to "bigger and better" things fitness-wise, but if you choose to live the rest of your fitness life by a DVD player and a schedule that came in the mail then you will never see the kind of results as those who don't.

And the bottom line is that videos such as 30DS were designed exclusively to cater to people whose only goal is weight loss and slimming down. They are not capable of catering to those who want to not just LOOK the part of an athlete but also BE one. Be able to run like one, move like one, lift like one, be as flexible and as agile as one. They are exclusively (and forgive the term) vanity workouts, because the only benefits you will see from them are visual/aesthetic. Not functional.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I never said workout videos don't work. But they also encourage a lack of learning. The fact of the matter is most of these videos don't have nearly as much thought put into them as you are led to believe. And anyone who truly took some time to study about about how the science of fitness works even recreationally or casually could put together a program for themselves that is far superior to anything on any prepackaged video. These videos are great when used as a stepping stone to "bigger and better" things fitness-wise, but if you choose to live the rest of your fitness life by a DVD player and a schedule that came in the mail then you will never see the kind of results as those who don't.

And the bottom line is that videos such as 30DS were designed exclusively to cater to people whose only goal is weight loss and slimming down. They are not capable of catering to those who want to not just LOOK the part of an athlete but also BE one. Be able to run like one, move like one, lift like one, be as flexible and as agile as one. They are exclusively (and forgive the term) vanity workouts, because the only benefits you will see from them are visual/aesthetic. Not functional.

I don't know what the DVD's are designed to do but I know I am more flexible and fitter after completing 30ds. I have much more stamina and I don't get as out of breath going up stairs etc. That said I am under no illusions doing 30ds and Ripped in 30 is going to make me an 'althlete'. I think most people know it takes much more work than just 20 mins a day to become that.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    And the bottom line is that videos such as 30DS were designed exclusively to cater to people whose only goal is weight loss and slimming down.

To be fair, weight loss does seem to be the major goal of a lot of people here, especially women. A lot of women want to look good. And there's nothing wrong with that. Besides, if a person is overweight, weightloss also helps with health.

For me personally, my goal is to be stronger, and the 30 day shred is genuinely helping with this. But it's unlikely to be helpful to someone who is already a body builder. And it is more likely to appeal to women than to men. Women's health goals are often different from men's.
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love it!! Maximum workout for 20 minutes and I'm seeing results!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Right and weight loss can be achieved just by eating less. If you want to eat more and still lose then some plain old jogging or bike or whatever will work without some greuling workout that is hard for new people to finish. If you want to look your best naked after losing weight then you need resistance training.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Assuming it is similar to any other fad exercise program better results can be gotten from heavy lifting and proper eating. Plain ole run of the mill cardio optional.

Why would you reply to this if you've never even done the DVD? I've done it and I've seen results. Not everyone wants to be a heavy lifter and not every one is a gym goer.

He does have a point though. The bottom line is that the harder you're willing to push your body, the better results you're going to get. And unless you're a beginner, a workout such as 30DS is only going to be moderate intensity at best. The reason people show results from following the program is because they tend to stick to it. You could put any program together and if you stuck to it you'd see results.

I disagree with this. You get out of it what you put into it - personally, I have found some of the movements incredibly useful for improving my ice hockey performance:
    * The static holds and the explosive movements have increased my speed and endurance on the ice
    * The core workouts have improved my skating stance, and therefore also increased my speed, endurance, stability and general performance

I've also been able to increase the weights as I go along (i.e. heavy lifting, for my body). Guys seem to be generally down on this video, usually without even looking at it and just assuming it's cardio only. For many women, especially those just starting out, this IS heavy lifting for them! Small weights, your own body weight - just because it's not what you would lift doesn't mean it's negligible for someone else.

Is it enough in the long run? Not for me - I do it a few days a week, and on those days supplement with other workouts, including more lifting. But at the end of a long day it's nice to just throw it on and do 20 mins, and feel like I got something accomplished.

Of course you can put together your own program, stick to it, and see results. But that wasn't really the question, was it? The OP appeared to be looking for a program they can stick to - not to create their own program. And maybe this person, or others reading this thread, WANT a moderate intensity workout at this stage! Whether they're just starting out, looking for a supplement....who cares? Don't say "it won't work for anyone"; say "it doesn't work for me because of ________". That's a lot more helpful.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Right and weight loss can be achieved just by eating less. If you want to eat more and still lose then some plain old jogging or bike or whatever will work without some greuling workout that is hard for new people to finish. If you want to look your best naked after losing weight then you need resistance training.

For a man, no doubt. But as a woman, the 30-day shred is actually making my arms, legs and tummy look significantly more toned and defined - much better than I'd look from just eating less. And my goal wasn't even to look good. I have no desire to be a body builder or to do hardcore resistance training. I'm happy with the level of strength the 30-day shred is giving me. I imagine I'll step it up a bit in the future, but I'd also be happy simply maintaining it. I also really don't care what I look like naked!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Assuming it is similar to any other fad exercise program better results can be gotten from heavy lifting and proper eating. Plain ole run of the mill cardio optional.

Why would you reply to this if you've never even done the DVD? I've done it and I've seen results. Not everyone wants to be a heavy lifter and not every one is a gym goer.

He does have a point though. The bottom line is that the harder you're willing to push your body, the better results you're going to get. And unless you're a beginner, a workout such as 30DS is only going to be moderate intensity at best. The reason people show results from following the program is because they tend to stick to it. You could put any program together and if you stuck to it you'd see results.

I disagree with this. You get out of it what you put into it - personally, I have found some of the movements incredibly useful for improving my ice hockey performance:
    * The static holds and the explosive movements have increased my speed and endurance on the ice
    * The core workouts have improved my skating stance, and therefore also increased my speed, endurance, stability and general performance

I've also been able to increase the weights as I go along (i.e. heavy lifting, for my body). Guys seem to be generally down on this video, usually without even looking at it and just assuming it's cardio only. For many women, especially those just starting out, this IS heavy lifting for them! Small weights, your own body weight - just because it's not what you would lift doesn't mean it's negligible for someone else.

Is it enough in the long run? Not for me - I do it a few days a week, and on those days supplement with other workouts, including more lifting. But at the end of a long day it's nice to just throw it on and do 20 mins, and feel like I got something accomplished.

Of course you can put together your own program, stick to it, and see results. But that wasn't really the question, was it? The OP appeared to be looking for a program they can stick to - not to create their own program. And maybe this person, or others reading this thread, WANT a moderate intensity workout at this stage! Whether they're just starting out, looking for a supplement....who cares? Don't say "it won't work for anyone"; say "it doesn't work for me because of ________". That's a lot more helpful.

^^ This!! Rock on! :flowerforyou:
  • islandmonkey
    Options

I feel fairly confident that it is similar to any other p90 insanity body pump sweatin to the oldies taebo etc so forth ad infinitum. Some sort of overly grueling fad workout that makes people want to throw up that will not be as good at making you look good naked or getting strong as some good old weight lifting and fat loss. I was asked for my thoughts and those are mine. You don't have to agree.

You were NOT asked for your thoughts. OP asked "If your doing it, or did do it, what are you opinions on it."

You aren't doing it. You haven't done it. Therefore you were not the target of the question.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

^^ This!! Rock on! :flowerforyou:

Actually that's what I did say. That it doesn't work for me because I was at a level where I needed more advanced moves when I tried it. I imagine if I stopped a timer and went for longer than a minute for abs or two minutes for cardio I could probably get something out of it, but going from one single leg plyo squats to basic jumping jacks? Not much going on there. Going from hanging leg raises to basic crunches? Not much going on there. That's all I'm saying. And honestly I have no idea how you got gains from it if you're already an athlete because I could not modify it (again, without stopping the video and keeping going for long after the timer runs out) to suit my fitness level.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Soo... anyone else have anything positive to contribute?

I remeasured today and I've lost 1" around my waist apparently :-O
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    It worked for me! I really enjoyed it. Comfort of own home, no need to shave legs, no smelling other peoples farts....ha!

Couple of pics

Capture2.jpg

Capture.jpg

I'm now doing Ripped in 30, alongside other workouts like running and cardio DVDs as I did with the 30DS. Jillian is like a friendly mouse in 30DS compared to Ripped in 30...she got mean!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I started this 2 days back and I think its pretty good! Since I already do a lot of cardio and strength training anyway, it was quite easy frankly.
    If I was a beginner, I would have loved it! So I decided to do the level 1 video twice for a total of 45 mins. It kicks butt if you do it twice! I think it does definitely help. My muscles are very sore today and I think that that means its working. I'm going to use it for the days I don't go to the gym.
    I made my husband try it yesterday and he said its a pretty good workout for 25 mins and he's in way better shape than I am.
    So if you want to start a new program and you are relatively new to strength training and ab workouts, I would say go for it! You will sweat and you will feel the soreness :flowerforyou:
  • islandmonkey
    Options

Actually that's what I did say. That it doesn't work for me because I was at a level where I needed more advanced moves when I tried it. I imagine if I stopped a timer and went for longer than a minute for abs or two minutes for cardio I could probably get something out of it, but going from one single leg plyo squats to basic jumping jacks? Not much going on there. Going from hanging leg raises to basic crunches? Not much going on there. That's all I'm saying. And honestly I have no idea how you got gains from it if you're already an athlete because I could not modify it (again, without stopping the video and keeping going for long after the timer runs out) to suit my fitness level.

Simplistically? It's because you're a guy, and have different fitness requirements. Also....did you look past level 1? Because jumping jacks and basic crunches are only in level 1.

Summarized, the male/female thing was my whole point. :)
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It worked for me! I really enjoyed it. Comfort of own home, no need to shave legs, no smelling other peoples farts....ha!

Couple of pics

Capture2.jpg

Capture.jpg

I'm now doing Ripped in 30, alongside other workouts like running and cardio DVDs as I did with the 30DS. Jillian is like a friendly mouse in 30DS compared to Ripped in 30...she got mean!

Wow! :-)

How is Ripped in 30? I thought about trying it
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options

How is Ripped in 30? I thought about trying it

It's good, harder than the 30DS in parts though. I'm up to week 3 now and there are some challenging moves like duck walks and crow push ups. Week 1 has been the most fun for me, as it had similar moves to 30DS alongside some newer exercises for variety. Week 3 works the same area in one go which is tough. Ie pike push ups, then table top tricep dips followed by one arm side tricep dips....Eurgh pain!
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    I'm doing 30 day shred, I started today. I am finding it really good. I'm not very athletic, and haven't exercised in years, so I'm a complete beginner. It's good as it has Jillian doing the moves in the middle, then it has one lady on the right who is doing 'modified' versions of the moves for beginners, and another lady on the left doing the actual moves / advanced versions for those who are later on in the level etc. So it isn't EXACTLY the same moves each day.

I'm combining the 30 day shred with some jogging. I'm starting the Couch 2 5k thing, I downloaded the NHS Podcast from iTunes. I've listened to it and seems really good. I'm starting it tomorrow.

I find 30DS is good for beginners. It is a good stepping stone in to more harder workouts. I look on YouTube and do some one minute workouts from Laura London as well sometimes when I have nothing to do / fancy more working out. :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I love how men who haven't done the 30 Day Shred DVD comment on its effectiveness. It's very entertaining.

I love the 30 DS. I've done part of the P90X program with my husband and while that's much tougher, I saw more results from the 30 DS. You can make the 30 DS as tough as you want it to be by increasing the weight and even throwing in some additional reps.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's a great beginner workout. I've done it a few times including after having each of my girls to kick start my weight loss. I love that it's quick. You might feel like you're going to die, but it's going to be over soon so you stick it out. I've now moved on to some of Jillian's other videos and love them as well. (No More Trouble Zones, 6 Week 6 Pack)

I have never done it for 30 days straight, which isn't how Jillian intended it to be done anyway.