What kind of splits do you?

Options
I am debating about which kind of split to do. I have never done an upper/lower or full-body split before and I have always wanted to. I am used to training each part of my body on a different day. I am looking to not really bulk up, but cut fat and lose weight. Here is what I am thinking:

M: Cardio / Upper
T: Lower/ Abs
W: Upper / Cardio
Th: Lower
F:Upper / Cardio
S: Abs / Cardio
Su: Off

I would alternate the next week, and do three days of lower, two days of upper. I would do one workout for each part, upper or lower, depending on the day. (4 sets x 8-10 reps)

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    That is too much and possibly not the most efficient volume and frequency combo for you. Check this link. All of it is good but the second link on training frequency addresses this specifically.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you, is their a routine within that post for an upper/lower body split?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Interesting, what are your goals? You said you don't want to bulk up but you're doing a massive 6-day split which is generally used by bodybuilders trying to do lots and lots of isolation exercises to bulk up. You're also doing 8-10 reps which is generally considered prime bulking range. Seems strange given your goals.

If your goal is simply to lose fat I'd focus on my compound exercises. They will make you stronger in a useful way and burn tons of calories because you will be engaging multiple muscles for every move. Squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, chins, push-ups, etc...
  • xunleashed
    Options
    Honestly, I have a hard time doing deadlifts and chin-ups. Is there a way I can have a fat cutting routine with weights...I know I should increase the reps.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    If your goal is simply to lose fat I'd focus on my compound exercises. They will make you stronger in a useful way and burn tons of calories because you will be engaging multiple muscles for every move. Squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, chins, push-ups, etc...

Everyone has a hard time tiwht them to begin with, but theyre worth it. Go less reps, heavier weights. 3 days a week, an hour a time, get in get out. Try Stronglifts 5x5 or something. Ive found (though Im a woman) 5x5 is amazing for strength and fat loss :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have a hard time doing deadlifts and chin-ups. Is there a way I can have a fat cutting routine with weights...I know I should increase the reps.

Practice makes perfect, that's all I can say. Do some reading or video watching on proper form maybe?

A fat cutting routine with weights is the same routine as a strength-building or bulking routine. The only difference is that you eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Thank you, is their a routine within that post for an upper/lower body split?

No, there are links to 2 different 3 day full body routines (since it IS for beginners). The only straight upper\lower i know of right off (cause I haven't looked for any cause Im at 3 day fb) is Lyles Generic Bulking routine. It is not 100% spoon feeder with progression completely mapped out and has room for changing exercise selection from the base routine.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

No, you shouldn't. Anything about higher reps with lower weight for fat loss is BS. Lift heavy at low reps. That will make your body not want to lose the muscle it has.
  • xunleashed
    Options

No, you shouldn't. Anything about higher reps with lower weight for fat loss is BS. Lift heavy at low reps. That will make your body not want to lose the muscle it has.

I can't tell you how many times I've been told to increase the reps from trainers and it just didn't feel right. So if I light heavy at low reps and take in a caloric defecit, which I am doing, I should be good to go. I can mix in some dumbbells though, or is that frowned upon? Along with the squats, chin-ups, deadlifts and rows?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times I've been told to increase the reps from trainers and it just didn't feel right. So if I light heavy at low reps and take in a caloric defecit, which I am doing, I should be good to go. I can mix in some dumbbells though, or is that frowned upon? Along with the squats, chin-ups, deadlifts and rows?

Do that :) and mix dumbells if you want. Sounds like a great plan
  • xunleashed
    Options
    UPDATE:

So I hit the gym last night and completed my first full-body workout. Let's just say, that I have some serious soreness this morning. Here is what I did, please critique:

FULL BODY WORKOUT -

25 ASSISTED PULLUPS
    25 ASSISTED DIPS
    50 PUSHUPS

5X5

DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS
    HACK SQUATS
    SEATED CALF RAISES
    CABLE ROWS

Anything else major I should add besides deadlifts? The pullups and dips were ridiculously hard and my entire upper body is feeling it right now. I warmed up and stretched for about 20 minutes and did a 10 minutes cooldown after.

Thoughts?
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I just switched from a different body part each day to an upper/lower split a month or so ago and I can't believe the difference. I currently do the following:

M cardio only
    T upper
    W off
    TH lower
    F off
    Sa upper
    Su lower

I think 4 times a week on lifting is perfect. I was doing 5 before. I am also lifting heavier with lower reps, but on days I feel tired i do lower weight more reps. I think the variety works well. I have lost some weight (which I have not been able to do in years) but I have also gained strength and my muscles are looking more toned and defined than ever. I think any change up is good, really. Good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    splits?
    f**k that.
    Every day is SQUAT DAY.

You should be doing shoulder press, too.
  • xunleashed
    Options
    splits?
    f**k that.
    Every day is SQUAT DAY.

I will add a 5x5 shoulder press to that. Wellbert, I am not too confident on doing free-standing squats so are hack squats okay?
  • wellbert
    Options
    splits?
    f**k that.
    Every day is SQUAT DAY.

I will add a 5x5 shoulder press to that. Wellbert, I am not too confident on doing free-standing squats so are hack squats okay?

They don't load your core like traditional squats do. Doesn't your gym have a squat or power rack?
  • xunleashed
    Options
    There is a squat rack yes, mainly concerned about form though. I have done squats before, but seriously hurt my back a couple of years ago doing them (wrong obviously). I have watched numerous tutorials online, just need to muster up and do them.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Yeah, the trick is to start light and use the low bar position to reduce the strain on the lower back. Chest up!
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    There is a squat rack yes, mainly concerned about form though. I have done squats before, but seriously hurt my back a couple of years ago doing them (wrong obviously). I have watched numerous tutorials online, just need to muster up and do them.

Don't listen to the Rippetoe Squat nazis.

Best split ever for the goals you want is at muscle and strength. That is the GOALS you want!!

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

But yes, you should learn to squat and deadlift.

And on this split note the very subtle use of Chest and Bicep and Back is Back day and Shoulder is Tricep day. Which alone is the most perfect logic I have ever seen in a routine.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    You should alsolook at the Fat Burn Routine - Slow Rep Counting as in 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 PAUSE and same slow count down.

Brutal!
  • wellbert
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason for a beginner to split things up to the point where you are waiting a week to train each muscle group, unless they purposely want to gain strength slower.

A beginner can't overload their body to that degree.

Splits are good for experienced body builders...