What kind of splits do you?

Options
2»

Replies

• vtachycardia
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason for a beginner to split things up to the point where you are waiting a week to train each muscle group, unless they purposely want to gain strength slower.

A beginner can't overload their body to that degree.

Splits are good for experienced body builders...

One, that is not what the OP asked for

Two, if you looked at that split I think you would see why it is ideal for any experience level

three, OP did not say they were a beginner, that is your assumption

four, there is more to the body than strength gains
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am not a beginner, I have been doing splits on and off for almost three years now, but wanted to switch to full-body or upper/lower body split.

I have no hatred toward separating each muscle on a different day.

I just wanted to change things up. I will incorporate some deadlifts and squats into my routine, and see how I progress with that. I didn't think a full-body would make me as sore as it did, so I am off to a good start.

Thank you all for the responses.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason for a beginner to split things up to the point where you are waiting a week to train each muscle group, unless they purposely want to gain strength slower.

She never said she was a beginner.

I do one body part per day and it works out fine for me. I've gained strength and muscle. You seem to forget that everyone is different.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I do one body part per day and it works out fine for me. I've gained strength and muscle. You seem to forget that everyone is different.

She is a he. And from everything in his post -- Still pretty much going to benefit from beginners gains - especially in the compound movements he hasn't been doing.

And everyone isn't 'different' - beginners benefit faster from a whole body routine - up to the point where they can no longer get linear strength gains and need to move to a split. What do you squat? Deadlift? How long did it take you to get there?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

She is a he. And from everything in his post -- Still pretty much going to benefit from beginners gains - especially in the compound movements he hasn't been doing.

And everyone isn't 'different' - beginners benefit faster from a whole body routine - up to the point where they can no longer get linear strength gains and need to move to a split. What do you squat? Deadlift? How long did it take you to get there?

I squat 250 thank you very much and it didn't take any time at all for me to get there -- probably less than a month -- because I push myself to go heavier at every workout and every set.
  • wellbert
    Options

I squat 250 thank you very much and it didn't take any time at all for me to get there -- probably less than a month -- because I push myself to go heavier at every workout and every set.

Going from nothing to 250lbs in a single month is better progress than people I know who are in their 20s and have anabolic assistance. I am utterly impressed and astounded.

Just out of curiosity, are you doing high or low bar? SInce you do one body part a week, what did your progress look like?
    45 - 150 - 200 - 250 I assume?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

So you're a female in your late 30s, under 120lbs and it took you under a month to squat 250lbs? I'm assuming you started at 45lbs like everyone does, you added over 200lbs to your squat in just a couple weeks? You can squat 210% bodyweight in under a month? That's better progress than anyone I've ever heard of in my life, including steroid-abusing mountain men. There's got to be more to this story.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Welbert Says,

Still pretty much going to benefit from beginners gains - especially in the compound movements he hasn't been doing.

Vtach says,

So,you have not looked at the w/o that I posted. Or you would not be going on about beginners.

Every post you make is squat or deadlift. I take it you don't do the mans lift of standing presses or military presses for full engagement of the closed chain.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Welbert Says,

Still pretty much going to benefit from beginners gains - especially in the compound movements he hasn't been doing.

Vtach says,

So,you have not looked at the w/o that I posted. Or you would not be going on about beginners.

Every post you make is squat or deadlift. I take it you don't do the mans lift of standing presses or military presses for full engagement of the closed chain.

I do standing shoulder press, of course. And bench. And some fun accessories worked in now and again.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Are you doing shoulder isolation standing presses?

Anyho', did you follow that link - it was all good stuff.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You could look at the push/pull split. That way you get full body workouts but still break some of the muscle groups up. I agree with the others that you should lift like would if you were building strength or mass. The deficit will keep you from bulking up. I do higher reps on some of my isolation lifts but for the most part I dont try to turn my lifting into endurance or cardio training.

My split is

Chest and arms
    legs core
    back and shoulders

• Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    BANANA!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do:
    M - Chest, shoulder, triceps (30 minutes)
    T - Legs, Back, Biceps (30 minutes)
    W - Cardio (20 min), abs (10 min)
    Th - Chest, shoulder, triceps (30 minutes)
    F - Legs, Back, Biceps (30 minutes)
    S - Rest
    S - Rest

There is no need to do much if any ab work if you are focusing on the proper lifts (compound lifts). I use to do 2 days cardio and abs, but dropped it and added a fourth lifting day instead.
  • wellbert
    Options

I do like the 4 day layout. Have you looked into Wendler?
  • jenwalton
    jenwalton Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    BANANA!!
    LOL!! Me too.
  • vtachycardia
    Options

I do like the 4 day layout. Have you looked into Wendler?

I have not, but I will look into Wendler.

The link I meant was the one on the MFP forum which takes you to another web site where the 4 ds w/o starts to make sense in terms of strength gains and how some fancy chemical conversion of protein is made in the MALE body causes better muscle growth and maturity.