Is better to give yourself a break or push it everyday?

Options
I have heard mixed answers on whether it is better to exercise everyday or to give yourself a day of rest a couple of times a week. I would like everyone's opinions on what has seemed to work better for them. TIA! :)

Replies

• jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise 7 days a week and found that I'd just get burnt out.
    Working 45 hours per week plus the gym really took a toll on how I felt physically and mentally.
    Now, I've switched to four days per week, and I've found that I'm able to push myself harder.
    This, in itself, has helped me reach my goals more effectively.
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I take Sunday's off.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    I don't plan days off, but sometimes they happen. I go into the week, expecting to work out every day, but sometimes there are things going on that keep me from it, which i am okay with, as long as it's only 1 or 2 days each week. But I make myself do it when I can because you never know when something is gonna pop up that will keep you from it and i don't wanna get off track.
  • ESP21
    ESP21 Posts: 13
    Options
    I push myself hard on cardio 3x a week, and push really hard on strength training (mat work, lifting, climbing) 3x a week. The last day, whatever. Maybe I go practice tennis serves, maybe I take a walk, maybe a push hard again. it's a free day, so i just do what I feel.

I feel great, and I know I'm dropping fat even though my actual weight hasn't changed.
  • alhunt8587
    alhunt8587 Posts: 157
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!! I have been working out just about every day, but as RealWomenLove mentioned, sometimes a day off happens unexpectedly. I have also been doing a different work out every single day so that I don't get burnt out. I have failed miserable many times in the past when I tried to lose weight because I did the same routine over and over and I took too many days off which caused me to get lazy. So far, what I have been doing is working for me, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinions because of all the mixed answers I had received. I guess it is whatever works best for each individual! :)
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week 3x strength 3x cardio. I also walk everyday, I don't own a car, so walk to work, to town etc etc.
    I have one rest day a week. I may still walk, but not as intentional exercise as such.
  • coffeerunner
    coffeerunner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just take a day off when I get tired. Sometimes it's one day a week, others twice, and sometimes not once that week. If you feel it in your body to take a rest, do. You are the only one who knows how hard you are truly pushing yourself.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mlashay
    mlashay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to listen to my body as much as I can but usually its 3x a week cardio, and 2-3 days of strength training. If I feel super sore from anything I take a easy walk. Even on rest days I will do something light just because personally I don't feel right if I haven't done anything all day.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Take a break. Your muscles need a recovery day in order to build. I was also just reading an article by an Ironman winner. She said that originally she worked out every day, never took a break. Her coach told her she would never be a champ until she learned to relax. She said that was true and that once she began forcing herself to take days off, she made bigger strides in her training.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Every training plan I've ever looked at have agreed on 2 things: 1) don't work the same muscle group 2 days in a row and 2) take one day off a week minimum.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have one rest day a week. I've found that if I don't, I end up REALLY tired and end up craving junk food. I used to workout every day, but it just wore my body down, but then again, I work out hard, and I work out around 2 hours every day.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Its good to make sure you atleast get 1 day off per week. Progress can slow down if you dont fully recover! Like people said, unexpected days off happen, but 2 rest days a week wont be the end of the world. Listen to your body, if you have the energy to keep up intense workouts every day, stick with what your doing
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    Take a day when your body tells you too. I did and lost two pounds. plus if you really been diligent on your diet , you cant pig out as bad as you think. my cheat day was still under 1700 calories. and that included wine and awendys cheesburger (which wasnt half as good as I imagined- yuck threw half of it away)

Good luck
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also plan for 7 days but sometimes life just gets in the way and time can't be made. But on average i do 6 to 7 days per week.
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I hear mixed answers too. Some people say to not take the day off because it gets hard to get back up the next day. I've also heard to take a break because if I work to hard my muscles will hold all the water that I'm taking in because they want to recuperate and what not and you won't lose weight fast. I don't know. My breaks happen because sometimes I have to do other things, but I don't know. Lets see what happens.
  • stockholmhasago
    Options
    I take a day off whenever my body needs it. Sticking to a schedule can ruin me; sometimes your body knows when it needs a breather and ignoring it because you MUST do cardio/strength/cardio/strength/break/card/strength can back fire.
  • sosino
    sosino Posts: 41
    Options
    Insanity 6 days a week here, but I tend to do P90X Stretch X on the 7th.

Been working well so far, tho have been more tired than normal this week. Body is still trying to catch up to the trauma of Shaun T. :laugh:
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You build muscles during rest. That said, you can make a routine to run/walk on day, then do strength training focusing on upper body the next day. Then you are focusing on different muscles each day and allowing them to rest too. It just depends on what you want to do.
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I actually love working out now. It's my 'me' time and I try to get it in as much as possible, however, I still only get to the gym 3 - 4 times per week. I DO try to take my dog for 3 mile walks around the neighborhood on my non-gym days, though, so I usually get a bit of a workout in every day anyway. Although the past 8 months, I've been to the gym 1 - 2 times each week if I'm lucky. I don't treat it like a chore or push myself to go when I'm too tired, too hungry, or just don't want to! For me, I feel as though forcing myself to go will make it all less enjoyable. Lately, I've just been plain lazy and enjoying it! However, the changes I've made in my eating habits - with the help of mfp, of course! - have allowed me to still lose approximately 18 pounds in the past 8 months I've spent lazing at home!