Is better to give yourself a break or push it everyday?

Options

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't workout on Sundays simply because my schedule does not allow it. I do eat a little lighter, though, since I'm not burning as many calories that day. It seems to work out pretty well for me that way. Also, even though I do workout on Saturdays, I let myself sleep a little later than usual.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Nutrition, training and rest are the keys to every successful program.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Take is as ur body calls it.... one week i can workout hard everyday and another week i can do light workouts here and there... BUt rest is good too...
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I workout six days a week but I give myself a break in between strenuous cardio workouts. I never do strenuous workouts on consecutive days.
  • addaline22
    addaline22 Posts: 114
    Options
    I am all about 5 days a week and then enjoying the weekend responsibly. staying active with the fam and still eating well, but enjoying it.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Depends on the kind of person you are. Some people take a break and end up wanting more and more breaks...some people need to do it every day to stick with it.

I find the lazier I am the lazier I want to be...lol

I do believe that breaks are needed to avoid burnout, but if you take too long of a break it can really be difficult to start up again and get back into the exercise groove.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Rest is just as important as exercise. I take one or two days off a week as needed.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't take days off unless I'm on vacation. You will know when your overtraining. On another note, if your lifting heavy, you need to allow enough recovery time before hitting that muscle group again.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty hard, lifting weights, running, biking, playing tennis, and I find I need to take off a day or two a week. I notice it; I feel tired if I don't rest a day and I get up and I dread doing my exercising.
    I think most trainers recommend taking days off.
  • JessLov67
    Options
    I take Sundays off, and if I'm feeling particularly run down one week I'll take an extra day off from running, but still do strength training, or vice versa. Mainly push hard, but listen to your body. Just make sure you aren't making excuses and you really do need a day to recoop.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I only work out 3 or 4 days a week.
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym or swim usually 4 days a week. I take time out as and when my body tells me to - having rheumatoid arthritis makes sure of that! If I push too much, I pay for it for the best part of a week.

Good results so far - lost 17lb so far in about a month (started trying to lose weight before joining MFP).
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    I do weights/strength training 3 times per week and some other activity 3-4 times per week (usually a Ballet workout, Yoga, Pilates, Zumba or going for a walk).

I do listen to my body and if I need a break I take it. Last week I took a break from the weights and just did the other stuff. Keeping my options open to however I may feel like on any given day helps me stick to it longer. Hope this helps. :)
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm fanatical about hitting it hard M-F. I always aim to workout on saturday, but usually settle for a 10 mile bike ride instead of the crazy hiit I usually do. Sundays are 100% off.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well as a rule for running I have a min of 3 x sessions per week.

Sometimes have 8-10 sessions a week however most don't need to or shouldn't do it...

Essentially something to the likes of for me what I am currently doing (though on nike+ website more than here...)

Monday - Mid range run 40m-1hr maybe, easy session so 60-70% max HR
    Tuesday - Speed Work
    Wednesday - Mid/Long run
    Thursday - Mid range easy run again
    Friday - Speed or an easy run depending on how feel
    Saturday - Rest (Or run/cross train below 60% MHR...)
    Sunday - LSD runs so 2-3hrs +...

Mornings can be Ab sessions with light jogging to get system started and loosen up for afternoon sessions.

I am training currently though 6 weeks left for Marathon.... Next year running an ultra which is same distance as running a back to back marathon one after the other in same day so yea... If your into that sorta thing, then my advice might be spot on, if not, well... Know it is possible to train like me, but you don't need to if that isn't your goal :)
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I take one to two days a week off. I have found that excess exercise actually hinders your weight loss sometimes. Some of my biggest losses came after a day of rest.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer advises to train smarter not longer.
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I try do something active 7 days a week - aim for 3-4 days at the gym for cardio/weights, and other days I'm riding my horse or doing other fun things.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body... If you feel very very tired and sore even after a good night's sleep and feel like you need a break, take it. If you feel nervous about taking a break, just go for a long walk or a short jog or do a little bit of callisthenics at home. Don't push it because you might injure yourself.
    I take a break every 3-4 days depending on how hard I worked those days. It really helps because then you'll feel more energetic for the next day's workout. The point is, you should give every workout all you've got and if that means taking a day's rest, go for it.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do some form of exercise every day of the week except Sunday.