Running (jogging) on treadmill or on pavement....

Options
For some reason, I find it much easier to jog outside on the pavement, I can run for a longer amount of time and the experience just seems more enjoyable when I'm outside...

But I have noticed my knees hurting lately from running on such a hard surface...

WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I prefer outside and struggle a lot on the treadmill. Make sure u r running on the street. It is softer than the sidewalk.
  • emilymnyc
    Options
    I used to run only on the treadmill, now I only do road running. The dreadmill is too boring, and I definitely find I can go longer on the road.
    Which part of your knee hurts? You can adjust your running depending on what portion hurts: for example I get pain right in my mid patella so I push my weight forward a little when I run and take shorter steps so I don't get the opportunity to lock my knees makes it pain free!
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I can run much faster and longer on the dreadmill but I prefer running outside.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I run outside. There are two trails side by side, one dirt, one paved, I am faster on the paved part, bu the dirt trail is under trees and cooler. Its also softer, but you have to pay attention to your footing. I switch it up according to how I feel.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I prefer the dirt trails.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you can find dirt trails to run on, that is a lot softer on the knees. You will probably go slower on them, since footing can be uncertain, but running on a trail through the woods is so nice!
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Running on pavement/concrete is actually bad for your joints. Long term, it can cause damage. Try to find some dirt trails near by - running on earth is much better. Never been a treadmill kind of guy...too boring
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm a road runner, but I ran on a treadmill yesterday for the first time in about three years. I actually enjoyed it. Weird....
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Me too!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I also can run much longer and faster on the treadmill but I prefer to be outside. The treadmill has more cushion for your knees and hips but outside is much more enjoyable. Not as boring.
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I never though about dirt trails! I may have to find one nearby!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I run in the road. It's a lot easier than on the sidewalk and honestly I struggle on the treadmill. Always trying to make sure I stay straight and not fall off the side! I have horrible balance! LOL
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I prefer carpet or astroturf. :tongue:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Don't run on the concrete, it's the absolute worst running surface because there's no "give" at all. Run on the asphalt instead. If it's sloped, try to switch sides of the street every so often so you don't injure your knees and ankles.
  • misao1994
    Options
    With pavement jogging you have to be extremely careful about your knees and feet. Proper shoes will definitely adjust the stress to your knees and feet, because when you're on pavement the impact is a lot more strenuous then on a treadmill. But the distance you go outside is a lot farther and more realistic than a treadmill. I prefer outside running, there's nothing like running with nature.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I love to go to the track here in town. Much easier on my knees and shin splints. If I go outside I do the sidewalk even though I know the road is easier. I don't have a treadmill, but at the gym I hate running on it. It seems like it's been forever after about 1 minute. So boring!
  • hummus40
    hummus40 Posts: 72
    Options
    For some reason, I find it much easier to jog outside on the pavement, I can run for a longer amount of time and the experience just seems more enjoyable when I'm outside...

But I have noticed my knees hurting lately from running on such a hard surface...

WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

Totally with you on this one...love running outside but i know when i first started back running again four years ago that i wouldnt go outside and the treadmill was my friend...
    funny how things change lol
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    Which part of your knee hurts? You can adjust your running depending on what portion hurts: for example I get pain right in my mid patella so I push my weight forward a little when I run and take shorter steps so I don't get the opportunity to lock my knees makes it pain free!

It is my patella, on my right leg. It hurts mostly when I BEGIN running and then it kinda just goes away as I keep going...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to alternate between road, track, dirt, treadmill. Dirt is hard to find, close by....but I get on dirt once a week or so.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I am the odd women out. I prefer the treadmill. I love to run at the gym with people around me I stay motivated and TVs in front of me keep me entertained so I can keep running longer. There aren't many places I feel safe running outside by my house.