Running (jogging) on treadmill or on pavement....

Options

Replies

• confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, Its much much easier for me to jog on the treadmill and can go much longer. I am currently doing the C25K program, and its just too hot outside for me right now, not to mention I can't run as far cause its harder, (I dunno why)... I am hoping that when the cooler weather rolls around I'll have built up my endurance to the point of running outside because its much more visually appealing than watching myself in the mirror! LOL
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I was recommended "neutral cushioning" shoes for similar issues and because I am prone to "pronation". New Balance makes good ones that are of a decent price (if you have a factory outlet nearby all the better). I have had 3 pairs of NB's this year and can't complain.

But you want to make sure about which way your foot lands - people either pronate or suppinate - when their foot lands and the wrong type of shoe can make it worse (i.e. result in further misery and injury).

Interesting....I think I supinate. I never really thought of this before! You're awesome, thanks!

Gonna look into some New Balance shoes. The ones I currently have are Nike Free Tr Fit. They are more meant for cross-training I believe. They are very light (which is what I really like about them) but maybe not so good for running on pavement...

Go to a specialty running store to be fitted so you are certain what type of shoe you need. They will analyze your gait and make suggestions based on their observations.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I run in the road. It's a lot easier than on the sidewalk and honestly I struggle on the treadmill. Always trying to make sure I stay straight and not fall off the side! I have horrible balance! LOL

this^

I wonder why its easier on the road than the sidewalk... Maybe I'll give this a try when I get back outside for my runs!!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am the odd women out. I prefer the treadmill. I love to run at the gym with people around me I stay motivated and TVs in front of me keep me entertained so I can keep running longer. There aren't many places I feel safe running outside by my house.

I am indifferent. I like being outside much more but the pavement hurts my knees. I hurt them so bad last time I started running outside that I had to take a break on most cardio altogether. So now I just stick to the treadmill. Plus the park behind my house has trails but I am too scared to do them alone. haha.
  • KechiaG
    KechiaG Posts: 55
    Options
    I run on the treadmill. Not because I like it most, but because I am mom and the only time I have to myself to workout is 6 am. I haven't found a running partner yet. Just thankful that I'm getting it in! :drinker:
  • mparr125
    mparr125 Posts: 17
    Options
    No problem. Good luck!
  • brenjer
    brenjer Posts: 2
    Options
    I love outside, treadmills are hard for me as far as being able to maintain a steady speed....I'm always adjusting it up and down....Although I have heard cardio interval type work out is good for calorie burn.

My question is, my goal when I go for a walk/run is to be gone an hour. I walk/jog for that hour......(had toe surgery 7 months ago, so more walking now than jogging, till I build up my endurance again.)

But will walking an hour versus running an hour burn just as many calories....or should my goal be to get back to all running?

Thanks
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, Its much much easier for me to jog on the treadmill and can go much longer. I am currently doing the C25K program, and its just too hot outside for me right now, not to mention I can't run as far cause its harder, (I dunno why)... I am hoping that when the cooler weather rolls around I'll have built up my endurance to the point of running outside because its much more visually appealing than watching myself in the mirror! LOL

These are the two most common factors make it (or make it appear to be) more difficult to run outside.

1. Most people run faster outside than they do on the treadmill. The treadmill keeps your speed constant for you. Outside, you do. Very common.

2. There are always environmental factors that contribute to the difficulty. The surface, elevation changes and wind being the three biggest contributors.
  • morbettr
    morbettr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill, it kind of forces me to keep pace...the lazy person's exercise! Also, with a size DD cup, I am very self-concious with the bounce factor in public!
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Barefoot beach running is my thing, but not available to everyone. Makes working out feel like a mini vacation, love it.
  • ARyding17
    ARyding17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I will run on the treadmill but it scares the crap out of me! haha I always feel like I am going to fall off, I enjoy running outiside more although I like the coolness of being in the gym!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run differently on the treadmill, and I'm pretty sure that made a good sized contribution to my stress fracture late last year.

My favorite place to run? Wooded trails. :heart: As a bonus, I have to be more mindful of where I put my foot down, plus trees blocking the view, so I'm less likely to notice an incline. When I can *see* a big old hill looming in front of me, it psyches me out.
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I run in the road. It's a lot easier than on the sidewalk and honestly I struggle on the treadmill. Always trying to make sure I stay straight and not fall off the side! I have horrible balance! LOL

this^

I wonder why its easier on the road than the sidewalk... Maybe I'll give this a try when I get back outside for my runs!!

Me too! Maybe when I do my 8pm jogs though. The streets are too busy in my neighborhood to jog on the road in the morning!
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    I enjoy both equally, I suppose! I see a few folks commenting about footwear and I can certainly say that can make a huge impact on how those joints are feeling. I had the same trouble with the knee pain running outside. I was using a normal shoe labeled for "running". A normal running shoe is just fine for the treadmill becuase you have some cushion with every stride.

I switched to a "cross trainer" for outdoor running. It is a little heavier of a shoe, but I found the support to do wonders and experience no pain when running on pavement with them. Nike has a couple styles labeled as "cross trainers" for women.

Shoes can also breakdown after time and even though they look brand spanking new... the inner parts are wore out and your knees can tell when it is time for a new pair!
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    Barefoot beach running is my thing, but not available to everyone. Makes working out feel like a mini vacation, love it.

NICE! That truly sounds amazing! I heard that running on sand is a bit more of a challenge as well, is that true?
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    I don't have the option to run on a treadmil, and there aren't any running paths (that I know of) in the small town that I live in. So I usually get up by 4:45am, get my little girl in the jogging stroller (in PJ's with a snack and her sippy) and go. If I don't do it in the morning I won't do it at all because we've had temps up to 115 around here. That, and my husband working an opposite shift makes it hard knowing that I can be spending more time with my family so I just jog before he gets home.
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside it's more interesting and I like the fresh air. When I first started running I hated being away from my treadmill, now I find running on the treadmill mentally painful and I avoid it like the plague -- not a good attitude for the winter.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I never though about dirt trails! I may have to find one nearby!

As long as is somewhat loose dirt, i don't see the difference between paved surface and hard soil :)
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Outside, for sure.

The problem with a treadmill is the speed is set for you... when you're running outside your body adjusts as needed.

As for why running on the road is better, I think it's because the stuff roads are made of are more porous? Ie, not as much stress on your legs as sidewalk?
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I vary the speed and incline constantly to keep myself challenged.
    Too many bugs, bears, hills and uneven ground to run outside here. Easier on my joints (I have a bad ankle and a bad knee.) Also, I hate the heat. I can run indoors all year round.... love it.