What counts as water?

Options

Replies

• ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    Unless you're eating a cactus, nearly everything has some water in it. It doesn't mean it counts as water. Caffeine dehydrates you, so even though it's made with water, it's having the opposite effect.

MyFitnessPal is only as good as the data you put in. If you want to cheat yourself, go ahead and call all of your beverages water, just don't get upset when you don't get the results you're expecting...
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Your mom counts as water.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I only count regular water...flavored water as water....though I would count tea because isn't tea just flavored water with herbs?
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    As far as I can understand it, we're advised to drink 8 glasses of PLAIN water on top of anything else we consume, even though tea etc is made from water. Also, coffee acts as a diuretic, so for every cup of coffee you drink, you must drink the same amount in water on top of the 8 glasses.

That is one hell of a lot of pissing! Haha...hence why I rarely drink coffee.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I once had a Doctor tell me that if it was made with water then it counts as water. So... I would like to know if others count coffee, tea, etc as water?

Everything but milk and alcohol counts toward your daily required fluid intake.
    Milk, seriously?

Wow. Someone needs a hug or an ata'boy or some sort of positive reinforcement in their life. 3 posts within 1 minute to different people being a complete smart-*kitten* for no reason. Someone tinkle in your Cheerios today?

BTW, tinkle in your Cheerios does not count as water.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating a cactus, nearly everything has some water in it. It doesn't mean it counts as water.

Yes, it does. If you have any evidence of otherwise, then by all means please share it.
    Caffeine dehydrates you, so even though it's made with water, it's having the opposite effect.

You lose a small amount of water and gain a great deal. Net positive water intake. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    WATER is the only thing that counts as WATER.... the clear stuff, you know?!? ;)
  • BugNBuddhaMama
    Options
    I once had a Doctor tell me that if it was made with water then it counts as water. So... I would like to know if others count coffee, tea, etc as water?

Milk, seriously?

Milk should factor in because of the sodium content, it has more diuretic characteristics than hydrating, just like alcohol has a diuretic effect
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    I count water and then the water I put in other drink mixes. Like if I have tea, I log the tea bag and the water. I don't drink coffee, but if I did I would do the same. I also do that for drink mixes. Count the water and the mix.
  • Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    humans. They're mostly water, so consuming them counts as at LEAST 8 glasses.

or you could just drink that stuff that comes out of the tap...
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Your mom counts as water.

Oh yea? "Your mom's face looks like a butt"

Can't wait to see that movie!!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The derp is strong in this thread.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Milk, seriously?

Milk is 40% solids.

Anything moist has water in it that your body can use. It's how much you net that varies. You piss out a lot of the beer and coffee you intake. Milk has less liquid than its volume.

Alcohol, coffee, and tea aren't that good for your kidneys, so don't function like water.

ALL of them keep you hydrated.

The answer to the question depends on what the intent of the question was.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I include my tea as water, but I will also add the tea to the breakfast or lunch.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    humans. They're mostly water, so consuming them counts as at LEAST 8 glasses.

or you could just drink that stuff that comes out of the tap...

:drinker:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

I'm not going to read anything but that first post because I swear this gets posted every day. And you'll get 50 million (yes I'm exaggerating) answers, all different. Using the search function would yield the same result.

In short: You log what you want to log as water and don't feel guilty about. I personally only log water as water but I keep track of "other" water intake in my head and don't feel guilty if I don't meet the 8 cups suggested.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    mama said that foosball is the devil.....
    waterboy1.jpg
    but there's nothing better than high quality H20 \m/

AMEN!!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating a cactus, nearly everything has some water in it. It doesn't mean it counts as water. Caffeine dehydrates you, so even though it's made with water, it's having the opposite effect.

MyFitnessPal is only as good as the data you put in. If you want to cheat yourself, go ahead and call all of your beverages water, just don't get upset when you don't get the results you're expecting...

Um....cactus is FULL of water. That is actually a survival tip...if you break off part of a cactus, there is water inside. ;)
  • Craftedkim
    Craftedkim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coffee and Tea are diuretics, which means they increase the excretion of water from bodies, or can dehydrate you, so they are not the same as water. Juices have sugars, sometimes natural sometimes not, but since water does not contain sugar, I would say juice is not water.

Water is water. I find if it is cold it is easier to drink.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    You don't NEED to be drinking 8-10 ON TOP OF all the tea, soda, juice, etc. You could be drinking TOO MUCH water, and yes there is such a thing as too much water. It's true that water intoxication is very rare, but it does happen. You should not feel obligated to drink that much if you don't feel you need it.