1 hour at home workout

I'm not a big fan of working out at home, however with a baby & one income going to the gym is not an option right now. I would really loveeee if someone could suggest a high calorie burning workout I could do at home. Doesn't necessarily need to be a video, it could just be a routine. I was doing 30ds but stopped on day 8.. I'm good for starting things but never finishing them. =/ I'd like to break that habit and maybe someone here could help me with some fun yet effective exercises i can do at home. Thanks :)

Replies

• Anybody ?
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    I like step aerobics.

If you want an hour-long workout, take a look at:

Gin Miller's Classic Step - - - 51 grueling minutes on the step, plus warm up and cool down

Gilad's Step and Tone - - - 65 minutes total. The step portion has you holding weights and doing various upper body moves as you step, then there's a section of squats and lunges, then abs.

Gin's videos are available at Collage Video and Gilad's is on his Bodies In Motion website under the "classic" section. Gilad's is very dated as far as the clothing and hair, but it's still a great workout.
  • Ambie213
    Ambie213 Posts: 118 Member
    I love Pilates (not a high calorie burn, but I enjoy it). I also enjoy Zumba classes, but you can probably find Zumba DVDs to try at your local library. Anything high intensity is good - jumping jacks, butt kicks, jumpropes, arm punches, high knees, burpees, mountain climbers, etc. Mix it up with some strength (crunches, pushups, squats, etc) and create a workout of your own while you watch a favorite show... Just a suggestion! Good luck!
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Order the TurboFire DVD's....They are so fun and you can change your calorie burn by either doing low impact or high impact. combination of kickboxing, aerobics, and dance....
  • panthra
    panthra Posts: 32
    Check out youtube. There are plenty of free workouts on there
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    I use Hip Hop Abs, Brazil Butt Lift and every now and then P90X (that's if I'm feeling really adventurous!) However, if you don't want to do a video, you could check out Pintrest they have all kinds of exercises you could do
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Order the TurboFire DVD's....They are so fun and you can change your calorie burn by either doing low impact or high impact. combination of kickboxing, aerobics, and dance....

LOVE turbo Fire!
  • Longs3
    Longs3 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm like you - stay at home and one income= no gym membership.

I have asked for DVDs, weights, and a step for presents in the past so I don't have to buy them myself. I am not really into strength training, but love cardio. I have a pretty large library of work out DVDs, and when I wake up in the morning I usually have a feeling of what I'm in the mood for that day. I have found that I'm more apt to work out and finish the DVD when I do what I feel like doing that day. No specific plan...

I know that our calorie burns will be different, but I've included mine so you can have a general idea...

My go-to videos:

Step Aerobics - Stepping Up with Seasun Zieger (Advanced, but she demonstrates the beginner moves and you can stay there until you are ready to progress) 73 minutes that includes a major core section at the end - I usually burn over 700 calories with this work out.

Turbo Jam - Cardio Party (any of them) mainly kickboxing and punching - good music and instructor keeps you motivated and energized... I usually burn around 500 calories in 45 minutes.

TaeBo - the original advanced DVD (oldie but goodie) fast paced and you will drip sweat from the first couple of minutes until the end. It is very outdated, but the kickboxing and punching will make you feel so strong. Just ignore some of the sappy stuff that the instructor says. Usual burn is 650 calories for me in 60 minutes.

On days that I question my motivation to get through a work out, I make myself walk outside. I walk a five mile path and once I've started, I can't turn around. I have to finish it. So, that makes sure that I don't press "stop" on the DVD player.

Best of Luck!!!
  • I'd say grab some biggest loser dvds. I really like those, because 1. They describe so well how to do things. No jumpy intructor that things you should amazingly know how to do things just by the way they smile. 2. It's motivation. They have larger people doing the workouts, not super fit people. It makes me think if they can do it I can do it. 3. It's set up in stages so if you can't finish level or stage 1, that's fine you don't have to move on to 2. And there are so many of them it's a good library of dvds to try!
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    AND............. If you have cable go to the free movies section. There are a lot of free exercise videos. I tried several of those first, found the instructor that I liked, then went and bought the video. I ended up with Leslie Sansone walking videos. She is AMAZING!!!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Check your library for workout DVDs - I usually have to request them from another library, but can search for available titles online. Check out on DVDs is only 7 days here, so I can get a new workout every week. Also motivates me to do it because I don't I've got to return it at the end of the week! :tongue:
  • I like the Real Hollywood Trainer videos. She breaks it down into different categories. I suggest giving her a try!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    I am not a member of a gym either, i have 6 kids. I love p90x and insanity. My youngest is 8 months and if she doesn't cooperate with me, then i put her in belly bag and am walking the stairs up and down for an hour
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Check your library for workout DVDs - I usually have to request them from another library, but can search for available titles online. Check out on DVDs is only 7 days here, so I can get a new workout every week. Also motivates me to do it because I don't I've got to return it at the end of the week! :tongue:

^This! -

Start out with something free (or inexpensive) .... so you don't end up with a bunch of DVDs you won't do.

Netflix by mail is great for exercise videos. They allow multiple queues ... so you can have your own list just for exercise videos. This allowed my to get a "new" DVD every week. Now I have a whole library of videos I love.

Hulu.com has a health and fitness channel .... several workouts there.

Ellen Barrett - Live or Studio DVDs are fun. She's very encouraging without being syrupy sweet.

Collagevideo.com will give video clips & professional reviews. The reviews tell you if it's high impact, what equipment you need, if the choreography is difficult ..... tons of information. I use collagevideo to make up my Netflix rental list.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I do a 1 hour at home workout many days. I do a variety of things:

walk on my treadmill,
    Zumba DVDs,
    step aerobics as I watch TV (sometimes with a weighted vest, sometimes without)
    calisthenics (pushups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, etc - with / without weights.)
    jump rope
    A combination of any of the above
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 84 Member
    here is a link to my pintrest board of 'work out ideas when i do not want to go to the gym'

pick one and do it!

I love pintrest

http://pinterest.com/tocara/workout-ideas-when-you-don-t-want-to-go-to-the-gym/
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Check the pintrest "health and fitness" section. People have posted tons of workouts to do during TV shows. For example, anytime someone cries on "Say Yes to the Dress" do 5 pushups. It's kind of like a drinking game but with exercise instead of booze. Also, do you have a jogging stroller? I saw a dad running and pushing one this morning--that has got to be a great workout!
  • thank you all so much :)
  • I really like the idea of having multiple ones to choose from cause sometimes I do get tired of repetition. I'm gonna take a trip to the library today !
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    I'm the same way, routines bore me.

Check out bodyrock on youtube. There are some great exercise routines (I'm talking TONS) that you can do at home. It's not necessarily a workout video, but rather she shows you how to do the exercises and how many and then you can do it. Also, on their website everything is broken down. I love watching their workouts but haven't tried them yet. I should.