Friends avoiding you?

Options
This is really strange, but does anyone else have real-life friends who seem to be avoiding them since they have lost weight? I have a few here at work and unfortunately some in my family too! How heartbreaking :sad:

Replies

• Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    Sure do. & these are the friends that don't want to be healthy. The only thing that they would want to do is go eat at random restaurants
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Exactly! i just find it so weird, especially with my family! Basically my best friend (who is a sister in law to be) has been avoiding me like the plague for a few months now and won't say why; i think she's thinking that i judge her because i eat healthy, but i'm not and never would.
    Just awful :brokenheart:
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Don't take it personally- your newfound health calls out their lack of health and makes them face a decision they don't want to face (to get healthy, or not to make the effort to get healthy), which can lead to guilt.
  • laura4smith
    laura4smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why a friend of mine decided to avoid me, but ... you aren't alone. :-) It hurts. But what growth comes without pain?

I have figured I can learn from the situation and allow myself grow as a person. If I can do it, so can you. :-) Right?
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    No, but I don't try to push what I do on them, and I never judge them for not doing what I do. I also try not to talk about fitness stuff alll the time.. I'm lucky to have good friends and family who have all been supportive.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have it the other way around, I avoid certain people now because they can't do anything social without food.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Jealousy???

Depending on how regimented you are, people might not want to "infringe" upon your lifestyle. My boyfriend doesn't drink alcohol or eat carbs but 1 day a week, and NO ONE wants him to come out!! Not even me half the time!! :blushing:
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    haters gunna hate!!
  • DantiaX
    DantiaX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. It makes me sad. But, the truth is that they are jealous and know they should be doing what you are and aren't. Don't let it get to you. You're doing amazing and the best you can do for YOU. Sometimes you just gotta do you. =)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It did seem that way, but then I started showering regularly, and my friends came back. Turns out, it wasn't them, it was ME!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for me I married my only friend.
    So far she doesn't avoid me very much.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Yuuuuup my mom!

She was supportive at first until I asked her to start exercising and eating better with me...then it was radio silence!

Months later, I'll write her an email, one sentence will be "have you lost weight? can you run farther now?" something like that and she always ignores it.

My sister is just flat out pissed off and jealous of me, she's kind of mean about it. But she can suck a lemon I've earned this body!

And some of the heavier ladies at work call me thin as a stick now/bony, when really, I'm at my college weight and they only have known me at +200lbs. It's frustrating.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It did seem that way, but then I started showering regularly, and my friends came back. Turns out, it wasn't them, it was ME!

LOL now THAT is funny :laugh:
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Yup. sure do. their loss. aaaaannnnddd moving on . . .
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSS I currently have no friends since I lost weight :( I mean, I have the same friends but they never call or ask to hang out anymore :cry:
  • carltonJC
    Options
    I have it the other way around, I avoid certain people now because they can't do anything social without food.

Exactly, I avoid certain people...they only eat Mcdonalds/Buffets. Only time they want to "Catch up" is over food, and they refuse healthy :/
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    my family just makes fun of my weight loss efforts. They say mean hurtful things all the time and talk about me behind my back. stuff like "oh she must eat like a pig when we're not around" or "you're just not working hard enough! If you really want to lose weight just don't eat and run more" What they don't get is that I have to work 10x harder than they do to see just 1/10 the results they would due to my hormone problems :(
  • aligatorwww
    aligatorwww Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Oprah a few years ago. It's basically their own self-loathing for not being committed to their own success.

It's sad, but I found that if you have only ONE real friend in your lifetime, you are lucky.
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Their Just jealous. I would just take it with a grain of salt... I know easier said then done.. Maybe try and get them to join you on fitness activities, walks, etc?
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well I've been avoiding my other friends because I'm the only one that is single and they have boyfriends. My "best friend" has a husband and a baby and although its a lot of work she literally pushed me a side. I would text her every day and try to call her every weekend so I can go see the baby, but she would always make up some excuse. So I let her be. Then later I found out that she is not all the busy because she is going out to parties. So you don't have time for your only friend that waited for your child to be born at the hospital for more than 13 hours straight, but you have time for parties. A few months passed by and now she needs me because I don't know what and I don't bother to pick up the phone or text her because I am the one that's busy now. I have joined a gym and made a few new friends and I'm usually tired all the time. So yeah, I kinda don't have time for her now and her apologies. I know, I sound like a B-I-T-C-H but stuff happens.