Curves for work outs? good? bad?

Options
Hi MFP community

Just got back from a few errands, one was next to Curves, so I stopped in for some info. I was not thrilled with what I felt was a hard sell, but perhaps that was just my take on it. From one who came close to failing PE in school and detests any form of exercise, I went in with a chip on my shoulder anyhow.

Wondering if any MFP members belong and your take on it, good experience, bad experience etc.

I like the woman only, it seemed like a small space (way too intimate but ok, perhaps all are like that), I don't like the closed for 2 hours for lunch (as that would be the time I would be interested in going, right after work). The cost to me seemed a lot for what it was (just interested in work out, not their comprehensive food/diet plan). I like the structured circuit and the half hour. I just know myself and my commitment level (or lack of it) when joining a gym type place (been there, done that, costly)

So, anyone out there share their experiences? Thanks

Replies

• gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The main problem is that there is no way for progression. You can't make the weights heavier, can't do more circuits. It might be fine for starting out, but once you get more fit you have no way to get fitter with their system.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    The main problem is that there is no way for progression. You can't make the weights heavier, can't do more circuits. It might be fine for starting out, but once you get more fit you have no way to get fitter with their system.

Really? I've never heard that before. Thats good to know because I have contemplated in the past going but did something different instead.
  • lorazaruba
    lorazaruba Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I LOVED going but ours closed! :( (small town) I did doubles on all machines, planked, lunges, run in place, ect..when not on machines! Now I go to a gym and it's a pain to have to set the machine! When I got to curves the machines were set and way you went! My stomach was tight, arms were toned and that is all gone cause I don't understand the machines! Waiting for a personal trainer to call me back so he can tell me what I need to do to get back into shape! I didn't like that you could only go certain hours though. After saying all that though.... no matter where you go YOU have to want it!! Good Luck.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I do wonder how long it would take to get fit, going 3x a week say doing their circuit for the 30 minutes. From one who does NOTHING I'm thinking it will take some time to get to some semblence of fitness. I know they want at least the one year commitment, after that I can look elsewhere. Am not looking per se into the big picture of lifetime, just into the here & now, say the next 12 months.

Sorry to hear your place closed lorazaruba, they did tell me and so did a gal who was leaving when I was, that the machines do adapt, something about their smart key thingie and they can program things as you progress. I was somewhat surprised that the people running the show were um, how to say this nicely, well, not what I'd consider in shape (not that I should judge another) but just sayin'
    LOL
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Really? I've never heard that before. Thats good to know because I have contemplated in the past going but did something different instead.
    I would have to agree with what they said. I was a member for about a year when I first started to lose weight. After a while I got pretty bored and there were a few times when I would get behind some of the ladies who seemed to be more interested in socializing than the workout. And yeah, after my contract was up I didn't renew it and joined a different gym that has a wider variety of equipment and classes that I enjoy. I do know that there are some people who thoroughly enjoy going there though. It just depends on the person.
  • centralvicgirl
    centralvicgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It was a good place to start for someone like me, who was very self-conscious, afraid to exercise in front of other people. The small setting, women only, helped me gain confidence. However, I did not lose any weight there and it soon became a bit boring only because it was not challenging enough for me, and like others have said, you can only reach a certain level before there's nothing to increase to.

I then decided to go to the more 'regular' gym in our town, which was very male-dominated but had weights, treadmills, etc as well as machines. I'm glad I went to Curves first, because I never would have got my confidence to a point where I felt 'ready' to work out in front of others.
  • emilymnyc
    Options
    I used to go years and years ago. It's great if you're just starting to exercise, have injuries...but there's no way to get results over time. As your body gets more fit you're going to "outgrow" that place.
  • Anola13
    Anola13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love Curves. The one I went to before I moved change the circut everyday, so you were never doing the same thing. They also had cardio machines there. Another one I visited did classes using the circuit along with other exercises. I think it really just depends on what that particular Curves offers. The one were I live now is exactly the same everyday. However, starting out, I do agree it is one of the best option. After a year, you may get bored, but what they want you to do is just do more reps as you get stronger.
  • socalsweetheart87
    socalsweetheart87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    my mom and i both did it a few years ago. we both liked it and you can go around as many times as you want really. it really didn't feel weird with the small about of people and the closeness. you either didn't talk or you made a few friends because you generally go at the same time with the same people. My mom went until it closed.. i went to 24hour because i wanted a more available gym. But i think if you want to get in exercise and can work with their times its a great place to go...
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It is a wonderful first step to fitness!
  • KLB960
    KLB960 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had joined curves after having knee surgery (okayed by DR) and that was before the computer program. It worked fine. Once the computer program went in, it still had bugs and said I wasn't working hard enough so I pushed harder (harder than what I was doing with the computer setup). Never could seem to get out of the yellow, then ended up injuring my other knee (need surgery on that one) and the manager said it was my fault because that knee had issues (it never did). I didn't like having a ob nurse tell me what my knees were doing. Ended up having to quit and having to pay the rest of my enrollment . They showed no responsibility of injury. AND I wasn't the only one that was having issues with the new program and injury
  • jejackson1977
    Options
    I am currently working out at Curves and this is my 2nd time. Our local Curves has tried to add some equipment (treadmill, stretching, dumbells, exercise balls etc) in a 2nd room in the back. The first time I went for about a year. I lost 60 lbs overall the first time around. I have lost 83lbs total since my heaviest.

I had never been to a gym and Curves has helped me gain confidence. I enjoyed the all female setting. There are some ladies who want to talk more than workout. but I have found a little group that works out pretty hard. I have been going an hour a day for about a week and a half since I rejoined. I had actually lost additional weight in between from a drastic lifestyle change (went from desk job to remodeling houses and moved into a large 2 story home with a HUGE yard to care for) so when I went back this time it was to get back into the routine of working out every day.

Up to a certain point you can work harder and harder. The machines are hydraulic so you can push harder/faster/more challenging position to challenge yourself. Ours does have some kind of additional activity you can attend if you like every evening. Zumba, Step class etc. You may want to check into whether or not they offer anything like that. I enjoyed it enough to go back after I changed jobs and was able to get there before they closed. It did help with getting me from a totally sedentary lifestyle to a much fitter person. I still have a long way to go but for me Curves has been an excellent starting point. I am not saying I'll never outgrow Curves but if you are self conscious, not familiar with gym equipment, etiquette, etc it's a great place to begin. Ours has the option to sign up month to month or a year.

I also noticed when I went to the website they have a 2 week free trial available. You may want to try a couple different times of day. There are employees and patrons that are more helpful/annoying than others at certain times of the day. If you have any flexibility in your schedule you may be able to fall in with a group that you look forward to seeing 3 times a week.

I swear I don't own a Curves or anything but I was almost 400lbs when I started going there and could barely walk around the grocery store. I would have never made it this far (and I still have a LONG way to go) had I not started at Curves . This weekend my husband and I are going camping, kayaking and hiking in the n.GA Mtns.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't use Curves, but my mother does. She loves it. She's retired so it really doesn't matter WHEN she goes so the closed for lunch isn't really a problem for her. At her location they also do Zumba twice a week, so she gets some variety. She doesn't go consistently though..but that's her issue. When she WAS going I did notice that she was losing weight, but it was gradual not overnight which I think is better for your body in the long run. It seems a little to expensive for me considering what was offered, but like I said, my mom loves it.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your thoughts, experiences and comments.

I've decided to hold off for now (they gave me till 7 last nite to "decide" to sign on the dotted line for $50 off their $99 fee). The place is small, no back room that I saw but assuming since they gave me a Zumba flyer, there must be some space or the have to move all those machines to the wall. Zumba does not float my boat and I believe thats all they have besides the machines (no clue if they rotate those out either). I didnt see weights, kettlebells etc. The fact that they are closed for 2 hrs is a big issue with me as I would be going right after work and thats impossible with them shutting down smack dab in the afternoon.

I figured if I were to do it, it would only be for the year,unless I truly loved what I was doing/seeing there, perhaps gain my confidence and look for something else or continue if was happy, I was not looking at the long term picture, just for the obligatory 12 months. I just can't fathom the $39 (or $49 if not directly taken from you bank acct) fee for the half hour x amt of times a week. I'm losing weight on my own so that isn't an issue I think I'd have by just working out there. She did say people do the 2 circuits, 30 min and thats it. No one does more than that, no one comes in more times a day. While I was there, it was all folks who came in by self and other than a nod to another gal there was no chatting. Of course place wasn't busy for the time I was there so it could happen.

I'm sure I'll get a call from them since I didn't go back last nite to sign aboard. I know they do run deals so I'll keep it on the back burner while deciding if I can deal with a gym, or Y, or just do stuff on my own. I just don't like being pressured or signing anything right then and there when I haven';t explored all my options.
  • Dreamorranch
    Options
    Curves is indeed a good place to "start" or even to rehab but for the long haul it gets boring really fast. I am an outdoor freak being an equestrian and I was bored in a matter of weeks so I never went back. May I suggest you find an activity you like to do because then you'll stick with it. When I can't ride I like to put on my satellite TV and DANCE!!!!!
  • jshort152
    Options
    Bad. Before everyone yells at me for what I'm about to say it's not directly hinted at the starter of the post, it is general. Noone take this as an insult to you personally. I am a personal trainer, I train people for a living. Curves is designed for women only with a few machines and cardio. In order to burn fat and lose weight you need more than just cardio! Strength training has been proven over and over to do even better than just straight cardio for hours on end. And Curves (like Planetfitness, dont get me started) is aimed at women feeling comfortable with no men looking at them. If your a fat @#$ then why are you concerned with men looking at you? I'd rather check out the cuter in shape girl wouldn't you? At the end of the day it really doesn't matter but everyone, whether bodybuilder or mom, is there for the same reason, to get in better shape. At least with a place with more people, you can see different training techniques that you can add to your workout routine. Again, just telling it like it is, but hope this helps? :)
  • melann1974
    Options
    I have joined Curves 2 different times. Both times, I started out doing the 3x a week 30 minute workout. But after a few months, I became bored for several reasons:

1. You have to listen to their music so you can hear when to change machines
    2. If you are using the Smart card thing, then your time to change machines might not be exactly 30 seconds so people might catch up to you
    3. It seem to be more of a social/gossip group (no matter what time I went). The women (especially the workers) wanted to have a conversation while I was working out.
    4. The machines are so close together, if they are busy, it seems like I was bumping into people.

I did not enjoy working out there. I never felt like I was getting a good workout.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It is a wonderful first step to fitness!

What she said. It helped me to get started so I could move on to a regular gym.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I enjoy it and have lost 50 pounds and 34 inches since I started going In Oct. 2011. I have MS, so this is a great place for me.. I also do the stationary bike and the freadmill sometimes + strength training at home. It really is to each their own... what works and is enjoyable for some, may not be for others.
  • darkandlovelyj
    darkandlovelyj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for 3 months. It works for me. Before I started Curves, all I had was my treadmill at home. That wasn't enough. I'm not bored yet so I will continue to go. It has helped me develop a routine that I can stick to. I go six days a week instead of the 3 days suggested. Like I said, this works for me now. As I get stronger, I might need to changes things up, but I'm good so far.