Curves for work outs? good? bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Bad. Before everyone yells at me for what I'm about to say it's not directly hinted at the starter of the post, it is general. Noone take this as an insult to you personally. I am a personal trainer, I train people for a living. Curves is designed for women only with a few machines and cardio. In order to burn fat and lose weight you need more than just cardio! Strength training has been proven over and over to do even better than just straight cardio for hours on end. And Curves (like Planetfitness, dont get me started) is aimed at women feeling comfortable with no men looking at them. If your a fat @#$ then why are you concerned with men looking at you? I'd rather check out the cuter in shape girl wouldn't you? At the end of the day it really doesn't matter but everyone, whether bodybuilder or mom, is there for the same reason, to get in better shape. At least with a place with more people, you can see different training techniques that you can add to your workout routine. Again, just telling it like it is, but hope this helps? :)
    While it may be a "bad" idea for some...it is a "good" idea for others. I believe that ANY form of exercise is good for ANYBODY!! Some people can't afford to go to a "Gym", some people have disabilities that hinder them from too strenuous of exercise, some have "mental" illnesses that prevent them from going out into crowds because they develop anxiety attacks. Exercise is exercise...if you move~you're burning!! nuff said.. This is also just my opinion :smile:
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for your thoughts & opinions. Well most of them I found very well thought out and insightful Funny Girl I'm with you there and thanks for posting what you did. I have not done anything, nor at this point returned the call that came the next day from Curves (I knew they'd call).

To the young personal trainer, I hope your attitude about people who are trying to get fit changes or you're not going to get a lot of customers. I am not taking your post "personally" but not all women going to work out want to be stared at, oogled, drooled over or snickered at by men, whatever shape they are in, "fat @#$" or a slim & trim fit gal toning up, while working out . And unfortunately from some of the posts I've been reading here about male comments to women in gyms, it would turn me off going big time, so I'd get no workout whatsover. So I feel ANY place that offers an opportunity to better oneself is NOT a bad thing.

I didn't ask to rate what gym is best and what offered the best workout, I was hoping I 'd hear from current or past Curves users about their experiences. Thanks to those that did share their experiences.
  • fiona2785
    Options
    The main problem is that there is no way for progression. You can't make the weights heavier, can't do more circuits. It might be fine for starting out, but once you get more fit you have no way to get fitter with their system.

^^^ This. If you have self-consiousness issues with joining a regular gym, go for it to start with, but make sure you don't have to pay for too long upfront in case you don't find it great for you. I think the machines use air resistance or some other such thing that I haven't actually researched, but they are what they are - no actual weights, so the only way to change your workout is to increase reps within the time (which is dictated to the second).
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it, but a friend told me she wasn't allowed to stay longer than 30 minutes at her curves. for me that's a dealbreaker....
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Some people can't afford to go to a "Gym

In Australia they are just as expensive as real gyms.

I was a member of Contours (similar style) I was bored within three months. There really is no option for progression. We had weight machines but it gets boring. Thankfully mine closed down and a new real gym opened up and was fantastic.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've seen the Curves building before but never actually heard anything about it.. but wow that place sounds creepy as hell. It's basically a bunch of equipment and someone tells you what to do everyday in a circuit? You can't change the weights? No freedom to just do whatever the hell you want?
    If any of that's true, that sucks. Join a different gym or the YMCA. I'll be the only one to agree with the personal trainer who posted a bit ago.. if you're nervous about being seen in public, just suck it up and do it anyway. Hiding will NOT boost your confidence. Going out and working out HARD will, regardless of who stares at you. You can't and should not hide forever.

Sounds really expensive anyway. YMCA is probably cheaper.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    if you're nervous about being seen in public, just suck it up and do it anyway. Hiding will NOT boost your confidence. Going out and working out HARD will, regardless of who stares at you. You can't and should not hide forever.

No clue where you got any of this info from, was not in my original question.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I went to Curves for about 6 months a few years ago and I enjoyed it.
    At the time I was doing almost no exercise (except for walking) and I found it a great way to get me into an exercise routine. I changed my eating habits at the time (not based on any plan, just eating better food and less of it).
    I lost about 10kg (22 pounds) during that time.

Although you can't change the weights (the machines are hydraulic, no free weights), you can make the workout easier or harder depending on how much effort you put in.
    I liked the 30 min max, in and out, no thinking required style - so it worked for me.
    It is the same routine every day, so if you don't like that idea then it may not be for you.

It it lightyears away from a regular gym - so if you aren't convinced that you are ready for a regular gym, give it a go. In fact, why not ask if they will give you a week's free trial and give it a go anyway, you don't have to keep going if it doesn't work for you.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Bad. Before everyone yells at me for what I'm about to say it's not directly hinted at the starter of the post, it is general. Noone take this as an insult to you personally. I am a personal trainer, I train people for a living. Curves is designed for women only with a few machines and cardio. In order to burn fat and lose weight you need more than just cardio! Strength training has been proven over and over to do even better than just straight cardio for hours on end. And Curves (like Planetfitness, dont get me started) is aimed at women feeling comfortable with no men looking at them. If your a fat @#$ then why are you concerned with men looking at you? I'd rather check out the cuter in shape girl wouldn't you? At the end of the day it really doesn't matter but everyone, whether bodybuilder or mom, is there for the same reason, to get in better shape. At least with a place with more people, you can see different training techniques that you can add to your workout routine. Again, just telling it like it is, but hope this helps? :)

Ew.

Dont take offense, just telling it like it is :)
  • buffyangel2000
    buffyangel2000 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My mom and I did Curves years ago, I got bored of it within a couple of months. My mom loved it but she hurt her knee doing Curves, she also heard from a lot of other people who have injured there knees as well. If you do join just be careful.
  • c4ssandra
    Options
    Bad. Before everyone yells at me for what I'm about to say it's not directly hinted at the starter of the post, it is general. Noone take this as an insult to you personally.

FYI: Insults prefaced with a disclaimer are still insults.
    I am a personal trainer, I train people for a living.

Good for you.
    Curves is designed for women only with a few machines and cardio.

Actually, there are over 20 machines at my Curves. There are also boards in between each one for cardio. It's called a circuit workout. Are you sure you're a trainer who trains people for a living?
    In order to burn fat and lose weight you need more than just cardio! Strength training has been proven over and over to do even better than just straight cardio for hours on end.

I don't disagree with this statement. You are right. Curves offers both. However, what Curves offers may not be up to your standard of intensity. For someone who is sedentary, Curves is a great place to START without getting burned out.
    And Curves (like Planetfitness, dont get me started) is aimed at women feeling comfortable with no men looking at them. If your a fat @#$ then why are you concerned with men looking at you? I'd rather check out the cuter in shape girl wouldn't you?

Okay, like I said, just because you preface an insult with a disclaimer doesn't negate the fact that you are plainly insulting overweight women by your choice of vocabulary (or lack thereof, "@#$").

Let's get this straight. I know that I personally am not afraid of men looking at me to check me out. I am going to Curves to avoid men like YOU who will look at me and smirk, laugh, or flat out make fun of my body and call me a "fat @#$". And no, I wouldn't rather "check out the cuter in shape girl", but thanks for the smack-down.
    At the end of the day it really doesn't matter but everyone, whether bodybuilder or mom, is there for the same reason, to get in better shape. At least with a place with more people, you can see different training techniques that you can add to your workout routine.

Everyone who is at Curves or any gym has their own reasons, some may be the same, some may differ. Some want to go to build their bodies, some want to stop their sedentary lifestyle, some want to lose weight, some simply want to tone up, some want to pick up chicks or dudes, and some go as a social activity. It's up to the individual to decide which venue and atmosphere is right for them. As a trainer who trains people for a living, you might outta take a course in empathy.
    Again, just telling it like it is, but hope this helps? :)
    Again, prefacing an insult with a disclaimer doesn't mean you are not insulting. And no, I'm pretty sure you just made most of the people annoyed at you rather than helping. :)

(My own disclaimer: I have only been a member of Curves for 2 weeks. It's okay. I signed up for a year with the intention of only going for one year and then moving on to a "normal" gym. I chose to start with Curves for the structure. I knew I personally needed something that I could do without having to worry about what I was going to do. It's a good start for me because I was sedentary before 2 weeks ago. In 6 months-1 year, I'll transition to another gym and go less to Curves. )