I may go on Dr Oz!!!

Options
He's having a special audience on Aug 31 ~ I applied and got in!!! For people who want to lose 20 or more pounds and willing to take a green caffeine supplement (or a placebo - won't know which) - had to send in info, picture, story.... Haven't committed and they called me today to check in w/ my status --- but I'm a teacher and that's the 7th day of school for the year AND I'd have to pay to get there/stay over .... advice?!?!?

Replies

• icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    They should pay for you to get there and stay there!
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I heard a rumor hes a Quack.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a fan.
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That sounds like it could be a really fun experience. I would only go if you can swing the travel cost cheaply and also get to see other sights while you are there.

Good luck!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I don't think I'd mess with diet pills/supplements - especially as a guinea pig for a TV show.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz potentially endorsing another pill...go figure.
    s640x480.jpg
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If you see him, can you give him à swift kick in the balls?

Thank you
  • debra4647
    debra4647 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you can do it and pay for it etc.. then go for it. When will you ever get the chance again? Who knows if it works unless you see it for yourself. DO IT!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    imagesCAYQMYGL.jpg
  • Cms5227
    Cms5227 Posts: 13
    Options
    I love Dr. Oz, but I think if you have to pay travel costs and a hotel stay for the time you are there, it's probably not worth it. I've been brewing my own green tea every day and drinking 3 or 4 glasses a day and I have certainly seen an increase in my weight loss. I buy the cheap Lipton green tea in bags and steep them for 5-7 minutes. Since I don't care much for hot tea, I pour it in a pitcher and put it in my fridge. It tastes pretty good and I just replace half my daily water with it. If you do decide to go on Dr. Oz, bear in mind, you might be in the placebo group where you would get no weight loss benefit at all and still be out travel costs. Green tea works, just brew it at home for a couple bucks and drink some!
  • twonkieone
    twonkieone Posts: 132
    Options
    ok haters - not saying i'm in love w/ the man...but the experience might be kinda neat. :wink:
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on being chosen.

That being said, I'm appalled that they are going to use you as a guinea pig for testing and not compensate you for it. It's your dime to get there, your dime to stay there, and your dime taking time off work for it. The compensation is getting some green caffeine pill? Or maybe not? Getting yourself of tv as the cameras pan the audience? Or maybe not?

If you can afford the time off and really want to go and spend your hard earned money on a flight and overnight accommodations, have a great time, if that is what you want to do.

Personally, I would stay put. He's looking for a free clinical trial, so he can attach his name to the next up and coming diet fad.

Just my opinion, but that is what you asked for. :wink:
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    He had a similiar show for saffron tabs as an appetite suppressent.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Green caffeine supplement? Heck you can get that at any vitamin store. Don't get sold on supplements as the "magic" way to lose weight. All supplements are just that: they help to "supplement" what is supposed to work and that would calorie deficit with some exercise. There are no secrets to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FAIRLYODDMOTHER
    Options
    The website did say they were looking for people within commuting distance of their studio so I doubt there will be any travel compensation but I would have jumped at the opportunity & paid my own way ~ sadly I'm outside the age requirement.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    He is not well respected around here because he keeps schilling quick diet cures. I used to like him, but I don't watch TV anymore. Evidently, things on his show have changed. The Real Age test was cool. I give him that.

That said, I think given that they're using you as a fake test subject, they should be compensating you. Or at least paying for your expenses.

Since they aren't, ask yourself if this is what you'd spend your vacation doing. If so, arrange the time off, buy the ticket, which at this late date is probably expensive, and go have a good time.

Mostly though, expect a "you must be new here" gif any time.
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options
    There are no secrets to weight loss.

:)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Green caffeine supplement? Heck you can get that at any vitamin store. Don't get sold on supplements as the "magic" way to lose weight. All supplements are just that: they help to "supplement" what is supposed to work and that would calorie deficit with some exercise. There are no secrets to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this.
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    imagesCAYQMYGL.jpg

LMAO :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My Mom appeared on a talk show in the 80's. We lived 250+ miles from where the filimg was, and the studio sent a limousine to pick her up, and they fed her a very nice catered lunch.

Dr. Oz should do at least that much.

You should not have to pay your own way. And my principal would be pissed at me if I took off in the first few days of school for something like this.