Barefoot or Minimal Shoe Trend

Options
2»

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who started with Nike Frees, which are slightly thicker in the sole, and worked his way to the NB Minimus. That being said, definitely ease into it. You're working parts of your feet and legs that never get worked because of your shoes, so it's going to suck at first, and doing too much too quickly is going to make it suck even worse.

Also, since I've been doing it, I've had much less back, leg, and foot pain than I did before. I work retail and I'm on my feet all day, so I used to be in ridiculous amounts of pain by the end of each. Now, not so much.
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Good running form is more important than what is or is not on your feet. I started running last year and spent a year running pain free with the Pose / chi running style with a forefoot strike in traditional support shoes, it's been great for me and I have had no pain or injuries but I still wanted to try barefoot running.

I have over the past 6 weeks been building up my barefoot running, I started out daily running 400 m and increasing the distance when it "felt" good, the main point is to listen to your feet when you start barefoot running and as someone said go slow and keep the distances short for however long it takes.

Check out this website

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/
  • NyalD
    NyalD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good running form is more important than what is or is not on your feet. I started running last year and spent a year running pain free with the Pose / chi running style with a forefoot strike in traditional support shoes, it's been great for me and I have had no pain or injuries but I still wanted to try barefoot running.

I have over the past 6 weeks been building up my barefoot running, I started out daily running 400 m and increasing the distance when it "felt" good, the main point is to listen to your feet when you start barefoot running and as someone said go slow and keep the distances short for however long it takes.

Check out this website

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/

and www.thebarefootrunners.org
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I say it's a passing fad that is fading fast. That being said, if it works for you, use it.

Funny how through the 70's it was not uncommon for the top runners to train barefoot. Their running shoes were soft leather soles and uppers. Look at the shoes that Jim fixx wore (google Jim Fixx's ruby slippers) or the shoes that were the first shoes to run under a 4 min mile. It was not until nike and reebok started paying these athletes that specialized running shoes became common. Now barefoot and minimal shoes are the fad? I think not. I think we are finally coming to our senses and returning to appropriate footwear.

For the person who is flat footed. A lot of people who are flat footed develop arches when they start spending more time barefoot then in shoes (not just running). Flat feet are usually a sign of poor muscle development in the foot and not a structural (bone) issue.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Support shoes are a passing fad, that is fading fast.
    Agree!

Double agree! My supportive running shoes did nothing but make my knees and hips hurt, not to mention my shin splints. I started out with vibrams and learned to run again. I have no complaints what so ever. Just start off slowly because your calves will be sore. I have now transitioned to NB minimus and love them. Vibrams were only annoying because I kept picking flowers whilst running through the grass.