Protein Bars

Options
Hi Everyone!
Hope you all are having a great day. I've searched the forums and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for on this subject. I know there are postings on protein bars but my question is....

Which bars that are commercially made are the best/healthiest? Any opinions on taste as well??

Any opinions or information would be helpful. I have a hard time getting in the protein that I would like to get per day and don't always care for the powders....

Thanks for any input!!

~Beth:happy:

Replies

• wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    I tried a lot of them out there and eventually gave up on the commercial ones because of the cost and ingredients list. Theres so many preservatives, chemicals and junk in those bars... i just stopped buying them and switched to a homemade recipe. Theres quite a few of them out there and they are high quality, cost effective and at least you know whats in them :smile:

They're mostly made from whey protein, peanut butter, oats, cinnamon, honey, dark chocolate etc. Whole foods. And much better than drinking shakes if you dont like the taste of the powder.
  • brewitzer
    brewitzer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nice! Thanks for the idea! Do you have a specific recipe? I'll check on google also.....
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown did a fantastic protein bar recipe on "Good Eats." Here is a link.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe/index.html

On the same show he did a granola bar: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-bars-recipe/index.html
  • Gunnoe22
    Gunnoe22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a good one: Perfectly Simple Zone Bar - Peanut Crunch. It only has six ingredients and tastes great!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My fave is Supreme Protein - Peanut Butter & Jelly bar.. so yum! I get the small bar, 1.75oz which has 15g of protein. You can get these in local stores, I've found them at Target, a box of 6 for $6.99

Another big fave of mine are the Quest Protein Bars http://www.questproteinbar.com/

They are:

Gluten Free
    Low Carb
    No sugar alcohol
    No Glycerine
    No junk ingredients

You can only get them online, they sell individual bars for $2.39 so you can try all the flavors and see what you like, a whole box of 1 flavor is $24.99.
  • niyantac
    Options
    I recently discovered "Arctic Zero" it's not a protein bar, but it's "ice cream" made of whey protein and it is only 150 cal per pint! They sell it at Whole foods, great post workout snack!
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't use them a lot but always keep the CLIF Builder Bars on hand for those just in case moments. The peanut butter is my favorite
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just found some called the simply bar. The chocolate peanut butter doesn't have many ingredients. What I also liked is that they are low in carbohydrates. Only 9, i believe. It keeps me full for awhile.
  • RachelLovitt
    RachelLovitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I mix equal parts honey, protein powder, and natural peanut, almond, or cashew butter together. I spread it in a glass dish and freeze it. Then I cut it into bars. I put them in baggies and store them in the freezer or the fridge.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Iike the pure protein ones, they taste good ( a little chewy) and they are low in sugar and carbs. I like the peanut butter and the revolution flavors
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'll do Clif bars sometimes (I like the peanut butter ones, tried the white chocolate chip ones and they're almost too sweet for me, at least in the morning after my run). I've been searching online but not really finding much of what I feel like I want-I find that most have more calories than I want for a bar but I love the idea of making your own, I hadn't thought of that!
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    http://www.larabar.com/products/larabar
    These are healthy and yummy though more calories than I like to eat in one bar.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    I use the Pure Protein ones, the chocolate deluxe taste's like a chewy brownie.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My fave is Supreme Protein - Peanut Butter & Jelly bar.. so yum! I get the small bar, 1.75oz which has 15g of protein. You can get these in local stores, I've found them at Target, a box of 6 for $6.99

Another big fave of mine are the Quest Protein Bars http://www.questproteinbar.com/

They are:

Gluten Free
    Low Carb
    No sugar alcohol
    No Glycerine
    No junk ingredients

You can only get them online, they sell individual bars for $2.39 so you can try all the flavors and see what you like, a whole box of 1 flavor is $24.99.

I would also recommend the Quest bars. I only found out about them through a local nutrition store - they looked intriguing, so I asked the clerk if they were any good - and he gave me a free sample. I order mine through Amazon now. I have only tried Apple Pie & Strawberry Cheesecake so far, but both are tasty. I always drink a big glass of ice water (or iced coffee, heh) with mine, as they can be exceptionally chewy and a little dry.
  • marie_8888
    marie_8888 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump for the recipes, thanks!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I actually love the VPX pumpkin supreme bars....Not the healthiest option out there..but for a treat I like it.

I also love the chemically taste of METRX bars...

I know...I am Wierd!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are pretty shady.There are some legit ones out there but be careful with the sugar alcohol content in some.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have never bought a protein bar, as I'm sponsored by an energy bar company.

Buttt I do really like/love these. Easy peasy.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes

1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
    3 scoops chocolate protein powder
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin
    3 scoops vanilla protein powder

Stats vary depending on protein powder:)

12 servings (~3/4 x 1inch)

92 calories/11g protein/4g fat/2g fiber