Protein Bars

Options

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My fave is Supreme Protein - Peanut Butter & Jelly bar.. so yum! I get the small bar, 1.75oz which has 15g of protein. You can get these in local stores, I've found them at Target, a box of 6 for $6.99

Another big fave of mine are the Quest Protein Bars http://www.questproteinbar.com/

They are:

Gluten Free
    Low Carb
    No sugar alcohol
    No Glycerine
    No junk ingredients

You can only get them online, they sell individual bars for $2.39 so you can try all the flavors and see what you like, a whole box of 1 flavor is $24.99.

I would also recommend the Quest bars. I only found out about them through a local nutrition store - they looked intriguing, so I asked the clerk if they were any good - and he gave me a free sample. I order mine through Amazon now. I have only tried Apple Pie & Strawberry Cheesecake so far, but both are tasty. I always drink a big glass of ice water (or iced coffee, heh) with mine, as they can be exceptionally chewy and a little dry.

Yes, QUEST BARS!! Hands down the healthiest, cleanest bar on the market! There is nothing else like them!!
    You can buy online and now available at Vitamin Shoppe's and other small, smart health stores!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I make my own out of choc protein powder, pb, raw honey and oatmeal. I would LOVE some more recipes! The only ones I buy are Lara bars. They are very pure and delicious!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I recently made Jamie Eason's Pumpkin Protein Bars are really liked them. However, they turned funky after 3-4 days in an airtight container left on my countertop, so next time I make them I'm going to store them in the freezer and just take out a couple each day to eat.

Here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-pumpkin-protein-bars.html

I added a half a cup of dark chocolate chips, because I'm a chocoholic and I love the combination of pumpkin and chocolate together.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    i just bought these...... Forward Foods Detour 45 g Cookie Dough Caramel Crisp Whey Protein Snack Bars

theyre really nice, sweet and really really filling. i was a bit wary after hearing so many yuk stories about protein bars but these are good
  • LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like kind bars. Not exactly marketed as a protein bar, but packed with healthy nuts and fruits and no artificial ingredients.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you are looking to buy a protein bar and not have to make your own, Quest Bars have the best nutritional profile out there. And they are eaten by fitness competitors and body builders right up to and through competition. Trust me, they would NEVER eat a Cliff Bar, Luna Bar, Pure Protein, etc close to comp time because they are filled with JUNK!!! Do the research and Quest will be the clear the choice!
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have to second gpatorres's suggestion of Quest protein bars, but they are fairly expensive at almost $2 per bar. My local Nutrition Zone offers discount when you buy a complete box which ends up being cheaper than buying from online retailers like Amazon.

I also have made my own protein bars using a recipe I found online. It goes something like this:

1c peanut butter (Jif)
    1c oats (Quaker)
    1.5c protein powder (I used ON cookies and cream flavored casein)
    4 tbsp honey

It totals about
    ===========
    2600 calories
    138.5g fat
    191.5g carb
    174g protein

Then depending on how you cut them:
    10 bars
    ======
    260 calories
    14g fat
    19g carb
    17.5g protein

8 bars
    ======
    325 calories
    17g fat
    24g carb
    22g protein
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have had a few cheap bars, and then last night I had one that I quite liked. It was an Isoflex, in a blue package. I believe it was Chocolate Peanut butter fudge or something like that, it almost had a coffee taste to it. It also contains 30g of protein, and 330 calories.

I think I will be buying these ones from now on.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If and when I buy a "protein" bar, I stick with Larabars. From what I've found, they are about as minimally processed as you can get from a pre-packaged food. But, they tend to have more sugar (albeit natural) than I like to eat and they generally don't have as much protein as I need. They are pretty simple to make yourself too :)
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i love the clif and the odwalla bars but it seems they have so much sugar in them, going to research some of the suggestions in this thred
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have never bought a protein bar, as I'm sponsored by an energy bar company.

Buttt I do really like/love these. Easy peasy.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes

1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
    3 scoops chocolate protein powder
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin
    3 scoops vanilla protein powder

Stats vary depending on protein powder:)

12 servings (~3/4 x 1inch)

92 calories/11g protein/4g fat/2g fiber

Sounds good. Thanks!
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I just looked up the nutritional value of most of the bars people have suggested and I found they all have around 22g-36g of carbohydrates? Isn't that counter productive?
  • brewitzer
    brewitzer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you are looking to buy a protein bar and not have to make your own, Quest Bars have the best nutritional profile out there. And they are eaten by fitness competitors and body builders right up to and through competition. Trust me, they would NEVER eat a Cliff Bar, Luna Bar, Pure Protein, etc close to comp time because they are filled with JUNK!!! Do the research and Quest will be the clear the choice!
  • brewitzer
    brewitzer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    These are great responses and I definately will be researching the quest bars! I'm looking for one that's more clean and not full of fillers and such! When I have the time I'm gonna try the recipes as well.

This is awesome! Thanks!!!
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I like kind bars. Not exactly marketed as a protein bar, but packed with healthy nuts and fruits and no artificial ingredients.

I like these, too. And now they have kind + (or something like that) which have a little bit more protein. Not as much as a "real" protein bar, but a little more.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I found bio protien bars at costco, not only do they have 23 g protien but they also have 36% fiber, 20% calcium, 40% iron, 15% folate, 20% magnesium, 30%zinc, 25% copper. in the box are 2 flavors, double chocolate and peanut butter chocolate. I have one before insanity. A bit dry but good. If you top with a bit of peanut butter it takes away the dry but I like them plain with my morning coffee for breakfast.
  • Feel_the_Waltz
    Feel_the_Waltz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with Ralph's Simple Truth Bars. They're in the 180-240 range, and their "pretein extreme" averages 20 grams of protein(for 180 cals, not bad!) and they really taste like candy bars, but without the loads of sugar. My favorite is the Fudge Graham. It looks like they really took their time perfecting their recipe, and they're only 89 cents each!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Some good suggestions here. I have been experimenting and have yet to find out that I really, really like.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    These are great responses and I definately will be researching the quest bars! I'm looking for one that's more clean and not full of fillers and such! When I have the time I'm gonna try the recipes as well.

This is awesome! Thanks!!!
    Check out Quest's website to get profile info on their products:
    http://www.questproteinbar.com/

You can order individual bars or a sample box to try all the flavors directly through them. Additionally, many locally owned sports nutrition stores carry them - do not call health stores since they likely won't. My favorite line between the two is the all-natural with flavors such as Cinnamon Roll and Coconut Cashew. These and the VPX Zero Impact bars (more of a meal replacement) are the only retail bars I buy when I do not make my own.