Too much muscle from running!

Options
1235»

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I'm calling 'troll' on this one. If you're serious, you don't really know anything about muscle, lol.

You do realize people ask questions about things they don't know about right??
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For the OP...you have unknowingly (I think) stumbled onto an MFP hot spot in which posters, most often women, blame 'muscle gain' for changes in their bodies they do not like like increased size or weight. On the whole, science and fitness experts deems this highly unlikely to impossible. Despite best attempts to explain this scientific phenomena a depressing amount of people on MFP still believe that they should blame muscle for issues like those I mentioned above. People have knee jerk reactions (not unwarranted) to posts of this kind and that's what you're seeing here.

Knee-jerk reactions are never warranted, IMO. :wink:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I'm calling 'troll' on this one. If you're serious, you don't really know anything about muscle, lol.

There is no way you could have gained 10lbs in muscle in 2 months. No. Physical. Way.

Also, I don't see the problem with muscly legs. Muscle is a good thing. If you don't like it, stop exercising. Simple.

She's not a "troll" just because she didn't know the answer. If you gained 10lbs, saw a decrease in fat and an increase in muscle in one area, you might be inclined to think you gained 10lbs of muscle, too.

But other than that, you're right... If you don't like the muscle, don't do the exercise. Running gives me quads of that emanate lightning and thunder but I don't mind them at all.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    Started 2 months ago, I have gained about 10 pounds of muscle mainly in my quads and glutes.

9utgk.gif

Only in reference to the above post... HILARIOUS! Thank you for my belly laugh today. I look at Tracy and I laugh.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Love it! How many times do people go on about "cardio" burning muscle? Running, and cycling have a cardiovascular effect, but they have a resistance aspect too!

Yes, and those nice germans and all track cyclists spend 30 hours a week just cycling their bikes and Mr. U Bolt does nothing but sprints and marathons. Cardio cardio cardio for these sprint people and their need for explosive power.
    HIIT is very different to LISS. And olympians in training will eat many thousands of calories more than the average person.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I started running about 2 months ago, and have recently bumped up my route to about 3-3.5 miles. I go about 4 times a week and the route is relatively flat. However! I have gained about 10 pounds of muscle mainly in my quads and glutes. It's to a point where few of my pants fit anymore! I have always been able to tone my lower body easily, but I did not think running/jogging would have such results. While I have noticed a reduction of fat all over, these muscly legs are a bit much! Any thoughts or advice?

Just curious. Where in the world did you get the figure you gained 10llbs of muscle in 2 mos? How did you measure this?

I have gained an inch on my calves trail hiking about 14 miles a day for the past month, but I have no idea what that translates out to in pounds, since I have also lost about a pound a week during the same time frame. I also would be interested in knowing what metrics the OP has used to come up the 10lbs mentioned. Edited to Add: I am assuming the added inch to my calves has been muscle gain.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well, my knee jerk reaction is that if you gained 10 lbs of muscle you lost 10 lbs of fat! Wooo Whooo!
    I run and love the toning that has occurred....not sure how to help...sorry...but good job on building the muscle
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

No, I am not a troll. Like others who are questioning, it is more than possible for my figures to be off. All I know is that about 2 months ago I weighed less and started running. Now I weigh more. The muscle assumption is from the fact that my legs are toned and firm--by absolutely no means at the level of body builders, and my pants no longer fit.

I am very sorry if I have offended anyone or have come across as insincere. I am still at the beginning of my fitness program as was simply looking for support because I could not figure this out by myself.

Again, I could be completely wrong; I was simply putting two and two together.

I'm sorry people have been rather rude and at times, down right mean. We all make mistakes and are here to ask questions and learn from those who have gone before and done what we're trying to do.
    There is a misconception that muscle weighs more than fat (I told myself this often when I was on a plateau), however, the reality is 1 pound of fat weighs the same as 1 pound of muscle. The difference? Muscles take up less space which is why we get smaller when we build muscles. (unless you are body building, I guess)
    I would check your diet and make sure that you are working in a deficit rather than a surplus of calories. You shouldn't be gaining weight if you are working out as hard as you say. (I'm not saying that you're not). The other thing to consider too is that you've changed your diet AND you've added (presumably new) exercise to your lifestyle. Your body could simply be in a time of adjustment where it's worried that you may be in a starvation mode. Which then it holds on to every single calorie you give it for fear of hunger.
    I started running in Feb '11 and have built beautiful muscles in my legs, but sadly have literally run my butt off! I really thought all the running I do would have built my tushy up, but no such luck.

Make sure you're drinking a lot of water and keep working...I'm sure you'll see the benefits soon!
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there (and hopefully your not just a troll)

There is pretty much no way that you could have gained 10 lbs of muscle from just running. It takes body builders months upon months to gain a couple pounds of muscle, and that's with a significant calorie surplus and heavy lifting.

It could just be water/glycogen storage that is causing the weight gain and making your pants fight tighter. Also perhaps the presence of some muscle building up while the outer lying layer of fat has yet to be shed that could be causing the pant tightness as well.

this