My take on "artificial vs natural" when it comes to food

Options

Replies

• marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    YES! Exactly the way I feel about it! :D It is essentially BETTER to eat "clean", but let's be honest here... I like mac n cheese! And not the homemade kind... the box crap that walmart sells. :D LOL I have lost 121lbs so far doing it this way and I will lose the last 23lbs doing it this way. ;)

Congrats on the weight loss!! Very impressive.

I agree about the boxed mac & cheese. That powdered stuff is one processed food I still love and enjoy. In fact, I buy the kind with 50% whole grain noodles, stir in a can of tuna and some frozen peas and call it a quick fix healthy meal.

yay! glad i'm not the only one! :D i don't know why i like the boxed stuff better than homemade. it's my guilty pleasure... that and bryer's ice cream... and chocolate... and... well ya know. i just like food. LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I don't have any proof of this, of course, but I think some people eat "clean" because they need to vilify some kind of food-usually food that they blame for being too tasty and less nutrient-dense.. So, choosing a a type of food that has benefits becomes positive and eating foods that don't provide those benefits becomes unacceptable, or villainous. It somehow makes those delightful foods easier to control. It's easier to say no to them if we accept them as *evil*. Then, if someone succeeds by doing this, their beliefs get reified.

Sometimes people just need something to believe in. And sometimes a few people take it a few steps too far, and it ends up being a nutritional form of faith.
    Agree. Since weight loss is such a personal issue and people are subjective on how they approach it, I can respect how the "clean" eaters will promote eating that way. Where I would take issue is that some will tend to look down at those that don't approach it that way and think that we're not doing anything "healthy" for ourselves when in truth health isn't just about what you eat alone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Personally, I do look at some foods as toxic. Due to my occupation, I've already been exposed to far too many questionable substances, so yes, I'm careful about what I add to the mix, since I have no idea how long this stuff sticks around in the body, and we don't really know what it does or how it does it (other than finding links to cancer and respiratory problems). Cancer and autism rates keep rising, and so has our processed food consumption. Do I have scientific causation? Nope -- I'm not a scientist. But when the label has more artifically-produced ingredients than things actually found in nature, I do wonder what those ingredients are doing to my body. The FDA sure can't be trusted, and even then, they regulate a "safe" limit -- and that max "safe" limit can be in as many products you ingest or apply as you want, so you could easily exceed the "safe" limit many times over every single day.
    I will agree with you, though, that some people approach everything from a black-or-white, good-or-evil, with-us-or-against-us perspective. Too bad for them.
    I would attribute the rise on cancer correlating directly to the rise of obesity. As for Autism, I believe that it's been the same. I have no data to prove that. Some kids that were labeled as "hyper" or "retarded" back in the day (I went to school from '69 to '82) could have been autistic but weren't diagnosed that way.
    I don't agree with everything the FDA states, but IMO we have a great system of being overseen compared to other countries where people can die from contamination that never gets contained before hitting the population.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    I think this may be the first time I've ever read anything you posted and didn't roll my eyes... better yet... agreed with you about. Thanks for posting this.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I think this may be the first time I've ever read anything you posted and didn't roll my eyes... better yet... agreed with you about. Thanks for posting this.
    Yay, I made another "non annoying" post!

IDEA Fitness member
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't have any proof of this, of course, but I think some people eat "clean" because they need to vilify some kind of food-usually food that they blame for being too tasty and less nutrient-dense.. So, choosing a a type of food that has benefits becomes positive and eating foods that don't provide those benefits becomes unacceptable, or villainous. It somehow makes those delightful foods easier to control. It's easier to say no to them if we accept them as *evil*. Then, if someone succeeds by doing this, their beliefs get reified.

Sometimes people just need something to believe in. And sometimes a few people take it a few steps too far, and it ends up being a nutritional form of faith.
    Agree. Since weight loss is such a personal issue and people are subjective on how they approach it, I can respect how the "clean" eaters will promote eating that way. Where I would take issue is that some will tend to look down at those that don't approach it that way and think that we're not doing anything "healthy" for ourselves when in truth health isn't just about what you eat alone.

IDEA Fitness member
    Personally, I do look at some foods as toxic. Due to my occupation, I've already been exposed to far too many questionable substances, so yes, I'm careful about what I add to the mix, since I have no idea how long this stuff sticks around in the body, and we don't really know what it does or how it does it (other than finding links to cancer and respiratory problems). Cancer and autism rates keep rising, and so has our processed food consumption. Do I have scientific causation? Nope -- I'm not a scientist. But when the label has more artifically-produced ingredients than things actually found in nature, I do wonder what those ingredients are doing to my body. The FDA sure can't be trusted, and even then, they regulate a "safe" limit -- and that max "safe" limit can be in as many products you ingest or apply as you want, so you could easily exceed the "safe" limit many times over every single day.
    I will agree with you, though, that some people approach everything from a black-or-white, good-or-evil, with-us-or-against-us perspective. Too bad for them.
    I would attribute the rise on cancer correlating directly to the rise of obesity. As for Autism, I believe that it's been the same. I have no data to prove that. Some kids that were labeled as "hyper" or "retarded" back in the day (I went to school from '69 to '82) could have been autistic but weren't diagnosed that way.
    I don't agree with everything the FDA states, but IMO we have a great system of being overseen compared to other countries where people can die from contamination that never gets contained before hitting the population.

IDEA Fitness member

So many things increased about the same time as Autism and cancer diagnoses begain to rise. Air and water polution, recreational drug use, prescription drug use, obesity, artificial foods, computer use, home microwaves, cellular phones, are just a few. We live in a very unnatural world.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

So many things increased about the same time as Autism and cancer diagnoses begain to rise. Air and water polution, recreational drug use, prescription drug use, obesity, artificial foods, computer use, home microwaves, cellular phones, are just a few. We live in a very unnatural world.
    YES. And something is obviously very wrong -- we just don't know what. So that is my rationale for avoiding pesticides and other questionable substances as much as I can realistically do. I can't hide in a hepa-filtered cave, but that doesn't mean I need to roll naked in DEET, either.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    When it comes to natural vs artificial for stuff like aromas and colorants, the difference is really not what people think...

Artificial substances are created in a "lab", manmade. The risk of course is not being able to create the exact, precise same component. For some however, like green apple scent, the artificial product fools even dogs. No one will ever extract green apple flavor, it's just not worth it.

Natural extracts are exactly that, components extracted from their source. The risk here is not being able to completely isolate what we want. Some of these "natural" extracts have byproducts, some of which are really nothing better than the "artificial" component we could generate.

Basically, it really doesn't matter... That's just for colorants and flavors though, if you are talking about man made fats or other more complex substances, then the nutritional values and composition can come into play, but freaking out for artificial flavors is really far away from something anyone should ever care about, imo... Some are truly bad, like the caramel color from coke for example, but there are examples of "natural" flavors and colors that are really not better too :)

Arsenic, Selenium and Cyanide are all perfectly natural compounds, doesn't make them safe..

Arsenic helps with insulin sensitivity at certain low levels and selenium is an essential micronutrient.
  • letmebe123
    letmebe123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love this little article! Great read, wish I could post it to my Facebook.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Artificially coloring your skin, rather than sitting out in the sun or going in a tanning bed is better. Same with enhancing eye site with laser, glasses or contacts. People artificially color their hair, nails, skin, enhance their body look (Spanx and make up for example). So not all artificial is bad.

I disagree with this part of your analogy. Slathering yourself in toxic chemicals to make your self tanner, color your nails, hair and face is in NO WAY better than not doing it. Many of the chemicals in conventional products are proven to cause cancer (and add to the toxic soup that can happen in utero that is being linked to autism.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this! Is eating 100% natural good for you-- I'm sure it is! But I honestly don't know 1 person who can eat totally natural forever. Artificial isn't always "bad." A lot of times artificial things help me make previously guilty foods healthier without breaking the bank. You just have to pick wisely, I guess.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

This makes sense to me. Especially since I've always liked being just a little bit evil. :devil:

Most of what I eat is stuff that is close to it's natural form when I buy it. I prefer fresh chicken breast over chicken-pulp nuggets, for instance. I'm really not even that crazy about McDonalds, but I do love a tasty burger (Chili's Bacon Big Mouth Burgers! :heart: ). But when I don't feel like dirtying up a pile of dishes and cooking a real meal, or just when I want the taste of it, I'm going to plunk a DiGiorno Rising Crust pizza in the oven, and feed the both of us for about five bucks.

And while I'm sure I could make a damn tasty marinara sauce from scratch, I don't think a jar of Ragu is going to hurt me. Unless I accidentally drop that jar on my foot.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Artificially coloring your skin, rather than sitting out in the sun or going in a tanning bed is better. Same with enhancing eye site with laser, glasses or contacts. People artificially color their hair, nails, skin, enhance their body look (Spanx and make up for example). So not all artificial is bad.

I disagree with this part of your analogy. Slathering yourself in toxic chemicals to make your self tanner, color your nails, hair and face is in NO WAY better than not doing it. Many of the chemicals in conventional products are proven to cause cancer (and add to the toxic soup that can happen in utero that is being linked to autism.
    You're misunderstanding the point. IF someone INTENDS to do it, then the options above are better. Talk to ANY DERMATOLOGIST/National Cancer Institute and they will tell you that artificial tanning is much better option than doing it by UV. Sure natural with NOTHING is better, but rarely are you going to find anyone who doesn't use any product to enhance their looks.
    Linking to Autism and actual CAUSE aren't the same thing. Driving a car is linked to car accidents. Does that mean no one should drive to save lives?

IDEA Fitness member
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Love this because this is exactly how I feel and just works for me. :wink: Everyone is going to have there thoughts. Everyone is different and take different approaches. That's what it comes down to. Thanks so much for sharing!! :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And while I'm sure I could make a damn tasty marinara sauce from scratch, I don't think a jar of Ragu is going to hurt me. Unless I accidentally drop that jar on my foot.
    Prego would hurt more. There's more ingredients in them!:laugh: I love Prego sauce.

IDEA Fitness member
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I often wish I could eat 100% clean, but don't think I could and whenever I have tried, I have ended up having massive binges eventually. I am fortunate in that I do love healthy foods and always have huge amounts of vegetables with my evening meal, and know the sorts of foods I need for optimum nutrition, but on the other side, I have an insane sweet tooth, and get appalling cravings for cheesecake, white chocolate chip cookies and danish pastries fairly regularly, so I am trying to find a balance whereby I dont binge on those which is meaning trial and error to find if it is better to keep my 20% to a single day each week, or to having a little of what I fancy everyday. I did find that when I cut out most refined sugars for a week, my cravings became less and less, but I also didn't relish the thought of a life never havng a rich chocolate fudge cake with mascarpone dessert again.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I often wish I could eat 100% clean, but don't think I could and whenever I have tried, I have ended up having massive binges eventually. I am fortunate in that I do love healthy foods and always have huge amounts of vegetables with my evening meal, and know the sorts of foods I need for optimum nutrition, but on the other side, I have an insane sweet tooth, and get appalling cravings for cheesecake, white chocolate chip cookies and danish pastries fairly regularly, so I am trying to find a balance whereby I dont binge on those which is meaning trial and error to find if it is better to keep my 20% to a single day each week, or to having a little of what I fancy everyday. I did find that when I cut out most refined sugars for a week, my cravings became less and less, but I also didn't relish the thought of a life never havng a rich chocolate fudge cake with mascarpone dessert again.
    If you're getting in your daily macros/micros, getting in exercise and losing, then you're doing it right.

IDEA Fitness member
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If you're getting in your daily macros/micros, getting in exercise and losing, then you're doing it right.

IDEA Fitness member

Yep, I usually get in 100g + of protein 60g + of good fats, and I am maintaining within 3 Ibs of the weight I set myself for the last 4 months, though I do sometimes go nuts and go way over on carbs and fats, lol, but it seems to balance out with the good eating days.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I really do agree. I do eat whole food as much as possible and I have really became a better planner and cook because of it. I am more adventurous with my food and I eat a wider range of fresh produce.

I still eat store bought bread and have peanut butter and vegemite on a regular basis. And tinned fish and frozen salmon most of the time, as opposed to fresh stuff - but I love it when I treat myself to the fresh stuff.

I will still eat chocolate, ice-cream and home made baked goodies occasionally and sometimes I'll just go out to dinner, order a meal I want and not worry about calories or what's in the dish. I am definitely eating less of this stuff than what I was pre weight loss, and truthfully I could probably do with a little less yet again, but I am happy.

I love that I can go away - to a uni residential school or to visit my sister for example - and not have a nervous breakdown if circumstances make it easier to go out for dinner or eat stuff that I usually wouldn't choose. I couldn't handle the constant stress/guilt of being a strictly clean eater. I tend to be making better choices by default now anyway. And if I don't, I just enjoy it! :) I'm at the stage where I know that I love to eat whole foods most of the time anyway.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,714 Member
    Options
    bump