What is the truth about eating after 6:00pm?

Options

Replies

• natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    At 6pm the magical fat fairy comes into your house and waves her magic wand. After that your body decides that it's consumed enough and stops burning any calories at all.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bull****. If you're hungry, eat. I eat dinner at 7pm every night, and am still able to lose weight. It's about calorie deficit, not timing.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I thought you weren't supposed to eat within about 2 hours of bedtime. It makes sense to me. If I eat a brownie in the morning I don't feel as guilty because the calories can be burned during normal day activities which are higher than the calories burned during sleep. I think maybe that is the point the OP's husband maybe making.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Lol, tell him to stick to coaching wrestling.

Truth: the body has no idea what time of day it is when it comes to eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is not as simple as calories in and calories out. I had an interesting discussion with my fitness crazy, doctor, brother who explained to me that the pancreas secretes one of the hormones that is responsible for the breakdown of fat. It is called HGH or human growth hormone. It is usually at it's peak while we sleep or after exercise, because the pancreas only produces it when our blood sugar is low. The pancreas also produces insulin to move blood sugar into cells. It will not produce HGH when it is producing insulin. I understand that insulin has a half life of about 6 minutes and the pancreas continues to produce it until blood sugar is lowered. My brother has been taught that a meal before bed will significantly reduce the amount of HGH that the body produces and as a result reduce the amount of fat that is broken down (lipolysis). I would be interested in any more information corroborating or disputing this information. Thanks.
    Lol, your brother needs to rehash human physiology then. GH is secreted from the pituitary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    My husband is a wrestling coach and knows the ins and outs of what it takes to lose weight. He says that eating after 6:00 just turns the calories into fat and if I'm serious about losing weight I'll just have to take the hunger pains. Problem is I don't get home from work until after 5:30 and by the time I get the kids settled in at home it's well after 6:00 before I have time to start making dinner.

Do I listen to him and not eat or is the myth false thus allowing me to eat dinner?

He's worn too many rubber sweat suits.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    No to diss your husband but : My thought would be that your husbands experince in weight loss is with highly active physically fit fighters who are very close to their normal fighting weight. They need to to lose weight for a short term weigh in .
    \
    who explained to me that the pancreas secretes one of the hormones that is responsible for the breakdown of fat. It is called HGH or human growth hormone. It is usually at it's peak while we sleep or after exercise, because the pancreas only produces it when our blood sugar is low. The pancreas also produces insulin to move blood sugar into cells. It will not produce HGH when it is producing insulin. I understand that insulin has a half life of about 6 minutes and the pancreas continues to produce it until blood sugar is lowered. My brother has been taught that a meal before bed will significantly reduce the amount of HGH that the body produces and as a result reduce the amount of fat that is broken down (lipolysis).
    i understand this is true but I wonder what happens over the whole day. If the calories are consumed at night than is HGH released during the day when we are blood sugar low rathar than at night ?
  • thekid2169
    thekid2169 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The only negative impact of eating late at night is when you sleep your body uses energy to repair and rebuild when you eat late at night your body now uses its energy to digest. One of my close friends is a dietician she says that your body has no concept of time when it's hungry feed it, but stay at your calorice goals.
  • amandae0182
    Options
    I thought you werent supposed to eat like 2 hours before bed. Everyone's schedule is different, If you get up at noon and stop eating at six and dont get done with work until 11 you'd starve!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever time you want as long as its within your calorie goals...god luck:bigsmile:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    My husband is a wrestling coach and knows the ins and outs of what it takes to lose weight. He says that eating after 6:00 just turns the calories into fat and if I'm serious about losing weight I'll just have to take the hunger pains. Problem is I don't get home from work until after 5:30 and by the time I get the kids settled in at home it's well after 6:00 before I have time to start making dinner.

Do I listen to him and not eat or is the myth false thus allowing me to eat dinner?

ahaha you should tell him to do research before spouting nonsense!
  • bgraz1994
    Options
    In reality, calories do not know time. They will not automatically become fat. However, you are less likely to burn calories that you consume at night, thus this myth was born. Have dinner, but keep it small and make sure you throw in a little bit of extra activity to burn those calories (ie an evening walk).
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    If you eat after 6pm you will turn evil and try to destroy the world around you. Also, don't get wet.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is not as simple as calories in and calories out. I had an interesting discussion with my fitness crazy, doctor, brother who explained to me that the pancreas secretes one of the hormones that is responsible for the breakdown of fat. It is called HGH or human growth hormone. It is usually at it's peak while we sleep or after exercise, because the pancreas only produces it when our blood sugar is low. The pancreas also produces insulin to move blood sugar into cells. It will not produce HGH when it is producing insulin. I understand that insulin has a half life of about 6 minutes and the pancreas continues to produce it until blood sugar is lowered. My brother has been taught that a meal before bed will significantly reduce the amount of HGH that the body produces and as a result reduce the amount of fat that is broken down (lipolysis). I would be interested in any more information corroborating or disputing this information. Thanks.

I think what you are saying is true, but I also read that as long as there is 12 hours between your last meal of one day and your first meal of the next day, then your body has a chance to do all that you state here.......... but not sure if that is right either!!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    As i read so many crazy tips..like fasting for part of the day or not eating after six or seven? They are all strategies to cut down on the calories you put in your mouth. Therefore...these strategies work because you are not eating for chunks of time..therefore controlling your caloric intake. that is that. It is not the "not eating at a certain time" that works. It is the "not eating" ...haha!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Unless he's planning on having dinner made for you when you get home, I wouldn't listen to him. You need to eat. Are you expected to make dinner for your family but not partake. That's awful. I'm sure he means well, but I just don't see that as realistic.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I lost 28 lbs last year eating 75% of my calories after 6:00 pm. If you're in a calorie deficet you should lose.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    That is a total myth that I used to believe. My life is so crazy right now and by the time I get done all I need to do in a day I usually don't eat dinner until around 8-9. I've been losing weight at a steady pace doing so. The only thing I ever head about eating late was from my GI doctor and he said to try to eat so that you have an hour to an hour and a half before you go to bed and this is mainly to prevent heartburn and GERD issues. As someone else said, stay around your calorie budget and eat whenever. It's not like 6 pm hits and your body switched to fat storing mode. Also if it does do that is it 6 pm eastern standard time, mountain time, or pacific time? :wink:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

It's a myth.

In fact, the Keim et al study actually showed that a greater amount of fat was lost when the women concerned consumed most of their calories in the evening.

The reason that the advice to stop eating at a certain time in the evening is because most people tend to overeat or over indulge then. If they consciously stop then they tend to eat less total calories over all for the day. Nothing whatsoever to do with some magic fat storage window....
  • wingednotes
    Options
    Tell him to keep his coaching for the wrestlers, and be a husband for you instead.
    Do your research, tell him what your decisions are regarding your diet, and tell him to get on board or myob.