What is the truth about eating after 6:00pm?

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it doesn't cause you discomfort.

Even if you ate ALL OF YOUR CALORIES in bed, and went to sleep, it wouldn't matter.

Think about it. Even if your metabolism SHUTS OFF (which it doesn't) and even if you stored ALL OF IT as fat (which you don't), you're then spending the entire day in a fasted state and guess what you're burning for fuel? Fat.

And where you end up (fat storage - fat oxidation) will be driven by

wait for it

calories in - calories out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you that your husband does NOT know the ins and outs of weight loss. Meal timing is irrelevent, calories and macros being equal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What time you should quit eating depends on what time you are most active. Most people are most active between 8 am and 6 pm; therefore, eating between those time will help you digest your food better and burn more calories. You can't burn "more" calories if you're sitting in front of the television. If you are planning on doing something after you eat, I don't guess it matters. I've also read credible articles that say as long as you don't eat within 4 hours of you going to bed that the food will digest the same as your breakfast. If that is true, then if you eat at 7, then stay awake and alert until 11. Good Luck and Blessings.

I would love to see these credible articles because it is just not true.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    some times I work 2/4pm till 12:30am thus making me eat around 1:00 - 130am .. and I am losing just fine ..

(i eat 2200 - 2400 calories a day average)
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If this were true, people who work nights could never eat. lol
  • ap472111
    Options
    I call bulls***. You can eat whenever you want. Your body isn't going to be like "oh yeah, its 6, I need to start storing fat..." Its all about the calorie deficit, not the time when you consume them.

I agree with you completely! Also I absolutely love the picture of the dogs on your tracker, too cute!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want, just stay within your calorie goals for the day. I eat dinner at 8:30 PM , and have ice cream at midnight right before going to bed.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    calories can't tell time.
  • Meg_DeLaCruz
    Meg_DeLaCruz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do...don't ...do....don't. Ahhhh! What I've learned works for me is taking most of my calories during the day. I snack all day, eat something every couple hours even if it's a string cheese or hand full of almonds. I actually get most of my exercise in the evening and won't be ready to eat until sometimes as late as 9-10. I try and make the best food choices for dinner and always intake something even if it's just a protien shake - if Im not really hungry. (it varies, sometimes I'm really hungry!). I completely minimize carbs and sugars at night, and do high protien, with maybe a little couscous or brown rice if I want, or even a salad. I have to admit though, I'm a "pescatarian". I Don't wake up hungry, don't feel guilty about what I ate, and its easy to digest (I have a sensitive digestive system lol hence the dietary choice). Either way, eat for what fits your schedule -just try to be smart about it. Don't stress, it takes time to get in tune with your body so don't ignore what it's telling you. Best of luck
  • haleydself
    Options
    If I followed your husband's advice, I'd never get to eat dinner!

Saame here! I usualy have dinner done BY 6 or 630. Hasn't kept me from losing the weight!!
  • SaintOnEarth
    Options
    To be honest sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and have a snack, while still logging it. As long as you are within your allotted calories it should not matter.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner and nighttime snack after 6pm and have for the entire 20+ years that I've maintained my weight loss. Let's get real here...most of us work full time and don't have the luxury of getting home before 6pm. And I find I don't sleep well when I'm hungry. It's a total myth...
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    the truth is in the sense of PERCENTAGE, you WILL have more calories stored as FAT if you eat close to your sleep time as you would from eating your meal BEFORE an evening workout out or 4 HOURS before your sleep time. Now this percentage is very low and insignificant BUT if you have a habit of doing this nightly, the SMALL PERCENTAGE will yield extra fat.

Of course, its all situational. If you eat at 7PM but stay relatively active and do not sleep until 12PM, that would not be a problem. If you eat at 8PM and go to bed at 9PM, there will be a be store more of those calories as they are digested as fat. Very nominal in percentage difference between the two scenarios but it will add up if it's a habit.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Sorry, your husband is spewing bro science. I also wrestled and was able to cut weight despite eating at mid night :-)
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    If he gives you trouble just tell him you're eating on Hawaiian time. :))

^ This!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist that I used to go to told me quite the opposite actually. It actually helps eating something later because it keeps your metabolism going throughout the night, instead of it taking a dive. It keeps it at a steady rate instead of the ups and downs (same reason you should eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day instead of 3 large ones )
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    the truth is in the sense of PERCENTAGE, you WILL have more calories stored as FAT if you eat close to your sleep time as you would from eating your meal BEFORE an evening workout out or 4 HOURS before your sleep time. Now this percentage is very low and insignificant BUT if you have a habit of doing this nightly, the SMALL PERCENTAGE will yield extra fat.

Of course, its all situational. If you eat at 7PM but stay relatively active and do not sleep until 12PM, that would not be a problem. If you eat at 8PM and go to bed at 9PM, there will be a be store more of those calories as they are digested as fat. Very nominal in percentage difference between the two scenarios but it will add up if it's a habit.

You are ignoring the fact that in situations where a greater percentage of calories is consumed at night, fat oxidation is increased during the day because you are eating fewer calories.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have a sensitive stomach, so I personally choose not to eat after 8pm, because if I did I would feel nauseated and ill when I go to bed between 11 and midnight.
  • dmisty24
    dmisty24 Posts: 26
    Options
    Ditto to what others have said total calories in and exercise will make the difference. Only reason for not eating before you go to sleep is for heartburn and you are too young for that.........hope your husband will bend his rule.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant.

I typically eat between 7 and 8 pm, and go to bed around 10.

If he gives you grief, suggest he has dinner waiting for you when you get home at 5:30 and you will gladly eat then.