Early Morning Workout?? Opinions??

Options
Hi all of my fellow MFP members,

I was wondering what everyone's opinion of working out in the morning is. I do not have time in the afternoons during the week to work out due to homework, and I work 10 hours a day (mon-thurs) on top of that. So my question is: Do you guys think it would be a good idea to get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning to work out before getting ready to go to work? This means that I would be getting up at 5:30am, working out from 5:35am to 6:05am.

I have heard that if a person works out in the morning, their metabolism is higher and they are more awake and alert during the day. Has anyone else heard this??

I am just looking to see what everyone's opinions are. :) Thanks!

Replies

• Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I do a little of both. I am not a morning person, so I normally workout in the evenings or on my lunch hour. Get it in when you can. If you can't do it in the afternoon, looks like you'll have to in the evenings if you want to do it...
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    The only time I can find is early in the morning before going to work, so it doesnt matter. It is what it is, its workout.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am not sure on statistics involving working out in the morning, but even though it SUCKS to get up earlier than I have to....I feel much better throughout the day knowing that my workout is done.

I work 7:30am - 5pm, so I would have to get up at 5am and leave the gym by 6:40am. Sounds terrible, but I feel much better mentally.

Would your workout only be 30 minutes a day?

I have heard that doing cardio in the morning can help you burn fat faster because you are on a partly empty stomach, besides your pre-workout meal/snack.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout in the morning. I feel better for the whole rest of the day...I'm not sure why to be honest plus it is always nice knowing it is done and out of the way!! I can just enjoy the rest of my day.

I will admit I hate getting up in the morning though so it is a struggle and my workouts have to be at about 4:30am!!

Good luck
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Eh. This can be a difference of opinion. I used to have more energy at night and I would run and do exercises around 10 at night. I am different than most people though. Coffee doesn't give me energy either. However, lately, I've been wanting to go to bed ridiculously early because I want to get up and work out before I go in at 8. It gives me time in the evenings to cook dinner and relax. I actually like this WAY better. As for the energy thing, at first I actually felt tired bc i'm getting up earlier, obviously. But then I started getting used to it. Now, i'm tired if I don't work out in the morning. So, in my opinion, it takes the body some getting used to, but I believe it can be a good energy boost in the morning. ALSO, by working out in the morning, you get more energy throughout the day, and then maybe you could get a burst of endurance after work and before homework to run one outside for a quick bit, or even when you're stuck on a hard problem! Good Luck!
  • scorl
    scorl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning - nothing can get in the way of it! (as opposed to later in the day when I can have an excuse to 'get stuff done' instead of working out). I do it early enough before my brain can fight me about doing it - haha
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    With three kids (two of which special needs and a 5 year old), I have no other option than to work out in the morning. They consume may day with all of their issues and I work at home. I get up at 5 M-F and then about 630 or 7 on Saturday. Whatever works best for you.
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio is always good for losing weight. When you wake up your body is in a fasted state and that has been a productive way to lose weight. You will not necessarily feel much energy bc 1 you just woke up and 2 you don't have any fuel.

I'll walk for 30 min. But you can do whatever cardio or workout you choose.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you can do it go for it. Personally I'm not a morning person.
  • carriesue1981
    carriesue1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that doing the work out in the moring I have it done and cannot make excuses as to why I don't want to go after work. Having done it for a month or so straight I have missed a few here and there and was very groggy and had a harder time focusing at work. I also do afternoon exercise sometimes with walking the dogs or getting down and really cleaning the house from time to time...and I see htat as a bonus on top of early morning work outs. It really depends on what suits you best and you will know within a few weeks which way is more congruent with your schedule. :smile:
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the mornings because it sets me in the right state of mind for the rest of the day. I get up between 5 and 5:30 M-Sa to run.
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I love my morning workouts. Like others have said it gives you more energy throughout the day and you have it over with. I hate when I put it off and all day long I know, after work, I have to workout! The hardest part of the morning work out is getting up!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I workout every morning, I get up at 5:30 so I can. I found that I am more productive during the day. Don't have to stress about getting the evening workout in, I try to do both, but my main program is done, and any other activitiy I call a bonus.

I had a scheduled rest day that was on a weekday. For once I took it and slept in. Well, my brain never turned on, it was a bad day at work. Will not do that again.

I wake up more energized most of the time.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I set my first alarm for 4 am, second one at 4:20 and get my breakfast & lunch ready to take to work & give my body time to adjust to being up. I try to be outside and start running around 4:45 a.m. and run anywhere from 30-60 minutes. Then come home and get somewhat cooled before getting a shower and heading to work for 6:30-7:00 a.m. Even on weekends, I set my alarm for 6 am sot that I can get up, get my exercise in and be done for the day. When I DON'T do this now, I feel guilty and not as energized. I'm dreading the winter months when I probably won't be able to go outside in the mornings that early. So yes! I'm all for early morning exercise - the other great thing is I don't have it on my mind all day worrying about whether or not I'm going to feel like it or not.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Mornings work out great for me. They're the only realistic time I have in my schedule, b/c DH goes to the gym after the kids go to bed most nights, and I work full-time days.

I definitely feel energized more after a morning workout than when I skip them, plus it has the "no excuses" benefit (nothing else to do at that hour but sleep, but there are no distractions either). And I love getting it done and out of the way early in the day. And last but not least, the gym is NEVER crowded before 6 am. :)
  • Tiberius707
    Tiberius707 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I started P90X I had no choice but to workout in the mornings because when I would come home I had no energy from the workday and the commute to get through a workout. So I forced myself to get up at 5am every morning and do it. Now I am addicted to waking up early and working out - it just provides a great start to the day and I know I've gotten my workout done and don't have to worry about it. I have had days where I stay up too late and then end up working out at night, but I have found I always feel better and more energized throughout the day when I work out in the mornings. If you want some recommendations for pre-workout lemme know.
  • MzLegette72
    Options
    Early Morning Workouts set the tone for the rest of your day. If that is the only time you can work out then I say get it in. I have never been a morning person until I started working out, but I'm up before 4 and I work out from 5-7, every morning (I don't have to be to work until 9).

I have soo much energy throughout the day, I even get 30 minutes in during lunch and depending on how great I feel I may even do 20-30 minutes before bed.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I lift at 4 a.m. With 2 kids, a husband, a full time job and going back to school, it's the only time that I can make it work.
  • lilkeke31
    Options
    I prefer morning workouts. I get up at 4:30 am and do a 40-60 minutes workout. I'm super sleepy when I first get up but I have more energy throught out the day and I feel so much better. It also makes me accountable for what I eat throughout the day. If I just burned 300-400 calories I don't want to waste that by eating a donut or eating fries for lunch.

Any workouts done in the evening count as a bonus. So, I would recommend it if you can swing it.

Good luck!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Hi all of my fellow MFP members,

I was wondering what everyone's opinion of working out in the morning is. I do not have time in the afternoons during the week to work out due to homework, and I work 10 hours a day (mon-thurs) on top of that. So my question is: Do you guys think it would be a good idea to get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning to work out before getting ready to go to work? This means that I would be getting up at 5:30am, working out from 5:35am to 6:05am.

I have heard that if a person works out in the morning, their metabolism is higher and they are more awake and alert during the day. Has anyone else heard this??

I am just looking to see what everyone's opinions are. :) Thanks!

I'm not a morning person, so I don't generally have enough energy to push myself that early in the morning. That being said, if my schedule did not allow me to workout in the afternoon or evening, I would definitely be getting up and doing it in the morning. You might have to sit down and schedule out your days to the minute in order to get everything done and still get in bed at a decent hour, though. I don't know that I would be able to do all of that on less than 6-7 hours per night minimum.