Huh?

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Now we have threads about how saunas burn calories, but log cleaning, even if you have done 5 hours of really heavy housework and burned way more calories an hour than you do doing zumba, and everyone laughs.

I got roundly criticized by asking for advice on how to log calories burned while moving. As in, all my crap to another apartment. So, I just said WHATEVER. I decided to pay attention to how much time I actually spent carting boxes and furniture around. After a couple of loads, I noticed it was looking like roughly 10 minutes at a time with about 2 one-way trips per hour. I decided to get REAL conservative and just log one trip per hour, or 10 minutes per hour. After 6 hours or so, I ended up with 60 minutes. When I logged it I just about choked when I saw about 500 calories come up.

Yeah, that's not significant, especially for someone who's sedentary. I mean, hell, I burn that getting out of bed in the morning. :bigsmile:

Exactly. When our house flooded in November, and I spent 5 hours bailing water out of our kitchen and scrubbing the entire ground floor, by hand, moving furniture out of the way, and up onto bricks, and sorting through things that needed throwing out (in the freezing cold, knee deep in water), I was mightily peed off to be told after 5 HOURS of that that my logging of 2 hours of it as housework was a joke and I should do some real exercise.

Zumba - I burned 125 cals in one hour with my HRM. But obviously THAT counts as exercise.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Just put the word bacon in the title and they will read it

I find the overwhelming obsession with bacon one of the weirdest things about this site.

Yup. The smell of bacon makes me retch.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Now we have threads about how saunas burn calories, but log cleaning, even if you have done 5 hours of really heavy housework and burned way more calories an hour than you do doing zumba, and everyone laughs.

I got roundly criticized by asking for advice on how to log calories burned while moving. As in, all my crap to another apartment. So, I just said WHATEVER. I decided to pay attention to how much time I actually spent carting boxes and furniture around. After a couple of loads, I noticed it was looking like roughly 10 minutes at a time with about 2 one-way trips per hour. I decided to get REAL conservative and just log one trip per hour, or 10 minutes per hour. After 6 hours or so, I ended up with 60 minutes. When I logged it I just about choked when I saw about 500 calories come up.

Yeah, that's not significant, especially for someone who's sedentary. I mean, hell, I burn that getting out of bed in the morning. :bigsmile:

Exactly. When our house flooded in November, and I spent 5 hours bailing water out of our kitchen and scrubbing the entire ground floor, by hand, moving furniture out of the way, and up onto bricks, and sorting through things that needed throwing out (in the freezing cold, knee deep in water), I was mightily peed off to be told after 5 HOURS of that that my logging of 2 hours of it as housework was a joke and I should do some real exercise.

Zumba - I burned 125 cals in one hour with my HRM. But obviously THAT counts as exercise.

Yes, you should have worn the HRM while you were bailing water. Then you could totally log it. :wink:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

I find the overwhelming obsession with bacon one of the weirdest things about this site.

LOL. I love bacon but I don't talk about it on MFP like some of these people.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I like bacon okay, but I agree about the smell. I only ever eat it somewhere other than home because I hate the smell that never seems to go away after you cook it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

True! :laugh:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    use any of these to innitiate stupid conversation.....
    1.spot reduce
    2.excercise calories
    3.tell me if the person above u has a nice *kitten*....if u can handle it

4. Muscle weighs more than fat.

No, POUND FOR POUND muscle weighs more than fat.

Especially bacon fat.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Seriously, though . . .

From a sampling perspective (I teach statistics) there are a way more people on here who have unhealthy than healthy eating and exercise habits because more people start to try to lose weight or get in shape than actually stick with it.

I am willing to bet that for every 100 people who start to use MFP, 20 last a week, 5 lasts a month, and 1 keeps going. Most activities are like that.

So you get the hard core exercise people, a group of hardcore calorie counters who may or may not have good eating habits, and a lot of people who want to change but don't stick with it or don't stick with this site because it doesn't work for them.

Plus people who want to lose, don't quit, but don't follow a consistent plan.

Net results is a lot of people asking the same questions over and over. But they still need answers.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for a whole minute and I've only lost a pound:-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I am getting ready to move in September. I looked it up online and found three different of estimates on calories burned and I used the most conservative one that accounted for my current weight. I have been busting my *kitten*, and just over a month ago, all I did was sit behind a computer all day, then sit with the laptop or watching TV at night. So if anyone doesn't like that I counted it, it's their problem, not mine.

My MFP rule: mean people go on ignore!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Yeah people act like bacon was just invented, and they think it is hilarious if the answer a question with the word bacon, and then if they use the word sammiches in the same sentence it is extra extra funny. It's like everyone is trying to be a 12 year old girl on AIM. I have to say seeing the "rate the person above you" threads are the worst though. clicked on one once, and it was the same 10 people rating each other 200 times, and the all got between 6 and 7's. Wooo so exciting lets do this everday!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda sick of the "How attractive is the person above?" threads. :sick:

I find those disturbingly sad.

I rate you a 10

ROFLMAO!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think we all learned an important lesson on viewer response stimuli with the popularity of Sidesteal's Intermittent Farting thread. Best thread EVAH!!!!!
  • nxd10
    Options

And I bet you did exactly what you're supposed to! You MUST be doing something wrong. Did you open your diary?

(I must be feeling catty today.)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Don't give up! You just need to eat more.
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Don't give up! You just need to eat more.

OMG! Love this! Literally burst out laughing! If I hear one more 'you need to eat more to lose more'...:explode:
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well said. Why get on a message board to not be helpful, supportive and/or informative? Some people (fortunately a minority) always seem bent on belittling and criticizing in an effort to boost their own egos and reduce their own fear of failure/lack of acceptance.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and no loon.... at least as far as I know :bigsmile:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate? When someone posts in a thread to just add 'this' and include a quote from someone who seems to know what there talking about, or at least sounds like they do. What real value does posting 'this' add to the thread in general? I'm doing a grumpy blog tonight. Why? Because I want to, that's why! Ha!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate? When someone posts in a thread to just add 'this' and include a quote from someone who seems to know what there talking about, or at least sounds like they do. What real value does posting 'this' add to the thread in general? I'm doing a grumpy blog tonight. Why? Because I want to, that's why! Ha!
    ^^^^^This