i have TONS of cucumbers now.....ideas?

Options
BlueJean4114
BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
the gardens are in full production now, and i have been given tons of cucumbers. I am not super huge fan of cucumbers, they are okay, but, i can't eat these fast enough to avoid them spoiling. I will give some away,
but, anyone know some tasty cucumber recipes?

I also have loads of tomatoes, too. I might boil up the tomatoes to make a sauce, cool it, and pour it into freezer bags for my december Lasagne party...but, i haven't decided yet about all these tomatoes.

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    No ideas for the cucumbers, but I freeze tomatoes whole and make sauce as I want to through the winter. They peel really easily when just starting to thaw. Then I cook them down, usually with onions, garlic and herbs and put it all through the food mill to remove the seeds. Last year I made some tomato paste, too, when I had a lot of extra tomatoes.
    I wonder if you could make tzatziki with the cucumbers? I use it in place of mayonnaise in veggie wraps.
  • LetsDoTh1S
    LetsDoTh1S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I put them in a blender with ice, lemon, Splenda, and a little mint.

Frozen HEALTHY cucumber mint lemonade!
  • dufner
    dufner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I cut them up into chunks with tomatoes, onions, maybe some green pepper, and mix with italian dressing. You could make some super easy refridgerator pickles too!!!!!!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    can some pickles!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Get your canning freak on and make homemade canned PICKLES!!!!!!!! Great for gift-giving!!! You can also do Kimchi - the korean version of pickles.. along with napa cabage, onions, carrots, etc

Homemade tzaziki sauce for when you are in the mood for homemade gyros

Give some away to people at work...

Tomatoes - you can make canned salsa, canned marinara, oven-roasted tomatoes (they are like freakin' CANDY when they are done!),

Oh hell... Ill come over and do the cooking... or I can bring them home with me! lol
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I cut them up into chunks with tomatoes, onions, maybe some green pepper, and mix with italian dressing. You could make some super easy refridgerator pickles too!!!!!!

how do you do refrigerator pickles? :)
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    some one here at work makes a Greek Salsa cukes tomatoes feta cheese onion olive oil and some yummy spice mix sorry I dont know the specifics and eat it with pita bread or tortillas. or over chicken breasts WOW.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's Salad
    Serves 4 to 6

This salad is fabulous!! It would make a great salsa with pita chips. I chop everything in a small dice.

1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
    1 english cucumber, diced
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    1/2 small red onion, diced
    1/2 cup mix of fresh parsley, mint, or oregano, minced
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup red fat feta, crumbled

Combine everything but feta in a bowl toss to combine well. Add feta and toss again.
  • cassimus
    cassimus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love making a simple cucumber and tomato salad. Chop them up to bite size, drizzle with a bit of oil (olive oil is best but whatever you like!) and balsamic vinegar, top with a bit of salt and pepper. It's yummy!!

Maybe also try making a raita to dip (you can make excellent low far versions and making it yourself with fresh cucumber is amaaazing)

Chop them up with some citrus and add to fizzy water or regular water!
  • dklibert
    Options
    Cucumber Melon Salad
    Makes 4 servings (5 cups)

2 cups cubed cantaloupe
    2 cups cubed watermelon
    1 cup seeded, thinly sliced cucumber
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
    1 Tbsp. minced lime zest
    1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or basil
    Coarse salt to taste

Combine cantaloupe, watermelon, and cucumber in a bowl.

Whisk together lime juice, brown sugar, and zest, then toss with fruit mixture to coat. Stir in mint right before serving; season with salt.

Per serving: 87 cal; 0 g total fat (0 g sat); 0 mg chol; 17 mg sodium; 22 g carb; 2 g fiber; 2 g protein.
  • dufner
    dufner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You slice your cucumbers into and put into an icecream pail. Put in alm, garlic, onion, dill, top with the brine. Let sit on the cupboard for 2 days then into the fridge. Stay chrispy for the whole year...or until they are gone. I can get the exact recipe and post if you want. We sometimes alter ours and put horseradis root in it too to make them have a little kick to them.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Cucumber Salsa Salad

2 large cucumbers - cut into small chunks
    2 tomatoes - small chunks
    1 of rotel - drained
    1/2 cup celery - small slices
    1/2 cup onion - small slices
    1 pkg dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
    1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
    2-3 stems cilantro - chopped

Mix dry dressing mix with rice vinegar, pour over veggies and let sit for at least 3 hours in refrigerator, stirring or shaking often. This keeps for many days and gets better as it sits. The rotel is spicy so use mild it you don't like spicy foods. This is great as a salsa but also good as a side dish or salad.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Ginormous Fruit Salad Surprise
    Makes 2 Servings

1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
    1 tsp. granulated sugar
    2 cups peeled and diced cucumber
    1 cup blueberries
    1 cup diced strawberries
    1 large Fuji apple, chopped
    Optional garnish: fresh mint

In a small bowl, combine orange juice, vinegar, and sugar. Stir until blended and set aside.

Place cucumber, blueberries, strawberries, and apple in a large bowl. Top with the orange juice mixture and stir gently to coat.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (overnight is best). Stir gently just before serving. Garnish with mint, if using.

Per Serving (1/2 of recipe, about 3 cups): 169 calories, 1g fat, 95mg sodium, 41.5g carbs, 7g fiber, 29.5g sugars, 2g protein
  • dklibert
    Options
    Gazpacho

6 ripe tomatoes diced
    1 purple onion diced
    1 English cucumber seeded and diced
    1 bell pepper green or red diced
    2 stalks celery diced
    1 bunch of Parsley or Cilantro which ever you prefer about 1/4 cup
    1 bunch of green onions sliced green and white
    4 cups tomato juice
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire
    dash of hot sauce
    2 teaspoons of sugar
    salt and pepper
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a food processor, plus until the desire consistency. Place in a large plastic bowl, refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight to blend.

Serves 8
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    WOW thank you for such great ideas!! To each and every one of you, great ideas!
    can not wait to try out these recipes!!

this remark also surprised me:

///"No ideas for the cucumbers, but I freeze tomatoes whole and make sauce as I want to through the winter. "///

I had no idea that could be done!!
    now, do you wrap the tomato in saran wrap or place them in freezer bags ? I've never done this, freeze a whole tomato!
  • Filatina
    Filatina Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are a fan of canned tuna, just make some mini cucumber tuna sandwiches! Very yummy and healthy snack/lunch! Had them yesterday :)

http://pinterest.com/search/?q=cucumber+tuna
  • stylishgirl
    stylishgirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1) cucumber tomato gazpacho perfect for summer!
    2) i love making homemade asian cucumber salad. just use a vegetable peeler to make strips of cucumbers, add a bit of red pepper flakes, rice wine vinegar, pepper, and possibly a little bit of red bell pepper and let it marinate for like 10 minutes before eating. if you want it more traditional thai mix the rice wine vinegar with sriracha and a bit of sweetener (i use splenda or honey, whatever you want really) then add the dressing to the cucumber.
    3) refrigerator pickles (tons of recipes online, super easy)
    4) chopped with tomato and tossed with evoo, salt, pepper, oregano and a bit of feta makes a great greek salad
    5) the cucumber mint lemonade someone suggested sounds so good, I might make that tomorrow
    6) sliced with greek yogurt, cilantro, coriander seed, cumin for raita (awesome served with roasted potatoes or tandoori chicken)
    7) julienne cucumber, mix with lemon juice and zest, sweeten, add water (i would add a touch of cayenne too for a kick but that's just me) and freeze into popsicles!
    8) bring that bushel over to me and I'll make the above and have you over for dinner ;)
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    eat em :laugh:

21643952.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • guildwars1987
    guildwars1987 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Onions and Cucumbers in water/vinegar SUPER AMAZING! My wife makes that on special occasions.
  • dklibert
    Options
    I use light or ff mayo and sour cream. Go easy on white pepper it can over power if you use too much.

Green Gazpacho
    Serves: 6

Ingredients

2 cups (4 oz) lettuce leaves, chopped
    2 cups (4 oz) spinach
    3 scallions, diced
    1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    1/2 cup (4 fl. oz) sour cream, plus extra to garnish (optional)
    1/2 cup (4 fl. oz) mayonnaise
    2 cups (16 fl. oz) chicken broth
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Preparation

In a blender, combine the lettuce, spinach, scallions, cucumber, and parsley until the mixture forms a pureé. Gradually add in the chicken broth, sour cream, mayonnaise, mint, white pepper, and salt. Pureé the mixture until it reaches an even consistency. Refrigerate the soup until you are ready to serve.
    Serve the soup chilled in individual bowls, with a spoonful of sour cream over each serving, if desired.